• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What software to start whit?

technowolf

hi
what is the first and best software to master for vinyl sign, illustrator, corel,flexi.......witch one should I start with.

thanks for the help

Alex

VinylCraft

Knowing all of them wouldn't be a bad idea. I would guess it would depend on the equipment you are going to use and your total budget. Flexi is good and what i use but it's user preference.

Checkers

To expand on what Chris said, it's user preference and what you know well enogh to start making money with.
I've used many of them too, but I'm starting my own business with Corel because I know it well and I get a lot of bang for the buck.
As my business grows, I will be looking at both gerber and flexi because they are geared more towards what I think will help my business grow, thermal resin printing. BUt they're not in the budget for a couple of years.

Cheers,

Checkers

stickitco

Well I jumped head first into flexi and am so glad I did. If you can afford it start with something great like flexi. or what ever may float your boat. I have available a version of flexi starter, with dongle fully legit. I bought it used it once, and immediately purchased a full copy of Flexi. If you are interested drop me a line.

gROUND cHUCK

For sign making in general I think Flexi is the best. but if
you can't afford it I would recommend InspireXP Pro.
http://www.inspirexppro.com/

Corel and Illustrator were made to work with vector and
they do it well, but not specifically for signs.

FlexiSIGN, Gerber OMEGA, InspireXP Pro and Vinyl Master PRO
are all made with signs in mind. (though, I don't think VMP is up to par.)

If you really want the best, I would go with FlexiEXPERT
http://www.scanvecamiable.com/Flexi8482;_FAMILY28.asp

Techman

Corel and Illustrator were made to work with vector and
they do it well, but not specifically for signs.

Concerning Corel dDraw.. That part about not specifically for signs is pure NonSENCE..

IF that were true ,, why is it that the latest incarnation fo Corel is more geared to sign makers. And why is it that Corel 6 was one of the first to have add ons for operating sign cutters. In fact, Corel draw 6 had a flyer in the box that offered sign cutting as an option.

Corel draw 9 @ about 30 bux,, and Cocut pro combined will be perfect for cutting vinyl. You can get tha tcombo for about 150 - 200 bux and cut vinyl as good as ANY product on the market..

And just for the record. Corel Draw is NOT the desk top publishing application from Corel. The desktop publishing app from Corel is named 'Ventura'...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Well, I have Corel, Flexi, Illustrator and a few more vector and sign programs but I design all my signs (from vinyl to large pylon and monuments signs) in Illustrator w/CadTools. If I was a production shop, I would still design in Illustrator w/CadTools but output with Flexi. Corel is just as good and way cheaper. I just like Illy better, I'm mostly Mac based and the vendors I use for print prefer Illustrator.

OldPaint

COREL does all i need and ive cut signs from it since VERSION 3!!!! so if you think corel aint for signs....go spend a lot of maoney on GERBER/FLEXI/SIGNLAB.
i been cuttin from corel since 93....all i use.....right to plotter

GraphXMagic

I've had the pleasure (sort of) to use Flexi, Omega (Gerber), Signlab and Illustrator. I've found Illustrator to be the best for me with Flexi as the backup. Omega is great as long as you are using Gerber equipment and Signlab I would leave behind.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my views...

Of course, budget DEFINATELY plays a large part...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Illustrator 10 is good, especially if you know how to use it. The CadTools plug-in would be nice so you can design in scale. If you do not have Photoshop or a whole lot of fonts (though most are not really useable) then Corel is also nice to have around.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
CorelDRAW would be the best application to buy first if you're just starting out. You get 1000 fonts in the box. The application will allow you to design most things at full size.

Adobe Creative Suite 2 would be the next thing to get. If you intend to create a lot of graphics for digital printing purposes then you might consider getting Adobe CS2 first. CorelDRAW still has lots of problems with CMYK color management. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign are all more dependable on handling color.

Illustrator has some other advantages over Corel. Certain tools work quite a bit better (outline effects, type handling, etc.). You can edit objects to four decimal points in AI whereas Corel only allows three.

If all you want to do with a sign business is make banners or vinyl graphics for windows, vehicles and other stuff like that then getting the CoCut Pro plug-in for Illustrator or Corel would suffice. Applications like Flexi are better investments if you want to get into making electrical signs, routed metal signs and other more permanent stuff like that.

ozzieflyer

Techman said:
Concerning Corel dDraw.. That part about not specifically for signs is pure NonSENCE..

IF that were true ,, why is it that the latest incarnation fo Corel is more geared to sign makers. And why is it that Corel 6 was one of the first to have add ons for operating sign cutters. In fact, Corel draw 6 had a flyer in the box that offered sign cutting as an option.

Corel draw 9 @ about 30 bux,, and Cocut pro combined will be perfect for cutting vinyl. You can get tha tcombo for about 150 - 200 bux and cut vinyl as good as ANY product on the market..

And just for the record. Corel Draw is NOT the desk top publishing application from Corel. The desktop publishing app from Corel is named 'Ventura'...

So, where can I purchase Corel Draw 9, and Cocut pro for around 150-200 dollars? Can you point me where I can buy it?
Thanks.

gerald

If you plan on growing your business and doing a lot of work, Flexi is the only way to go. True you can do most anything with all of them if you learn to use them. Flexi is a sign making program. So, if you plan on doing a lot of work and doing it fast, get Flexi. You will eventually need to learn Corel and maybe Photoshop or Fireworks for editing images (pictures)

Cadmn

my advice is go with the one you know Corel is my choice & does everything
I need & I bought version 1 so as they say Dance with the one that brung ya !!!!