• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What the Heck is GMT time?????

Bob Rochon

Seasoned Sign Freak
Ok what does GMT stand for ??

And where in the world is it 3:01 pm when it's 10:01 in EST ( eastern standard time)

Bob Rochon

Seasoned Sign Freak
Well it's good to still have ties to the mother country, so does that make Big Ben the grandaddy of all clocks?? LOL

dccas

why do we use gmt? why not just good ol fashioned est?
and next week daylight est, does that mean we'll be behind six hours from gmt?

:smile:

scott pagan

from NOAA.org

"GMT was established to aid worldwide oceanic navigation and is based on the rotation of the Earth. It was not until the British railway system started using GMT in the mid 1800s that GMT was adopted "for land use". And it was not until the late 1800s that GMT was adopted universally. At this time, the 24 time zones were created along with the International Date Line.

I know, you want to know how to convert GMT into your local time zone. Well, it goes like this:

During Daylight Savings Time, GMT is 4 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). So if the time is 0800 GMT, it is 4:00 a.m. in New York City and Miami and 1:00 a.m. in Los Angeles. During Standard Time, GMT is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time (EST). So, 1000 GMT corresponds to 5:00 a.m. in New York City and Miami and 2:00 a.m. in Los Angeles.

Please note that GMT may be listed as Zulu (Z) or Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). "