• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to buy?

Anthony

Hello

I have been interested in the sign business for about 15 years and am at a point where I think I want to pull the trigger and buy some equipment.

I have been searching the net, ebay and found an auction for a printer and cutter package deal.

Graphtec Vinyl Cutter FC5100-150 & PrismJET/Falcon EXtra Printer62"

Can anyone tell me if this system is any good. Can anyone recommend a system.

I want to have the ability to do outdoor printing and banners as well as vinyl.

Thanks

Jackpine

There is alot of good systems out there and they all perform well. I looked at Roland and Mimaki but I wanted to print 36" so I have a Mutoh 36 and a Graphtec cutter and they work very well. I also like seperate machines. I have had Roland products for 15 years. II bought mine from SSK and their support has been outstanding.

Steve C.

I have The PrismJet, which is the Mutoh Falcon Outdoor, and the Graphtec FC5100-100. I have been real happy with its preformance so far. Look around at other systems though, it may be that something else fits your needs better.

WVB

Also things to keep in mind since this is a BIG investment for you:

#1 Customer Service
#2 Parts readily avialable
#3 Tech support
#4 Price

The PrismJet is a Mutoh Falcon printer only OEMed as their own through Signwarehouse. However, Mutoh itself uses a different parts/repair company then SW. You must call SW only for tech support/repairs. I have not had the best of luck with SW unfortunitly. But by buying the PrismJet you most likely will save money versus buying the name Mutoh.

Graphtec is a very good name brand stick with name brand as parts/support is readily available. You also have to decide if you want Solvent or Eco-solvent inks. Do you have the space needed for two seperate machines? All in one's generally cost more for what ever reason. I personally would like to have a dedicated printer and a dedicated plotter. To jobs running at once is much more efficent then tieing up all in one on one job. There is a lot to consider in such a big investment.

Rob Hood

versacamm- roland

Anthony said:
Hello

I have been interested in the sign business for about 15 years and am at a point where I think I want to pull the trigger and buy some equipment.

I have been searching the net, ebay and found an auction for a printer and cutter package deal.

Graphtec Vinyl Cutter FC5100-150 & PrismJET/Falcon EXtra Printer62"

Can anyone tell me if this system is any good. Can anyone recommend a system.

I want to have the ability to do outdoor printing and banners as well as vinyl.

Thanks

wolf2x

"However, Mutoh itself uses a different parts/repair company then SW."

Signwarehouse and Mutoh use the same parts/repair company. The company is called G.E.I. Calgraph and they are the only ones that Mutoh contracts with for parts and repairs.

Usually what happens is that Mutoh overnights the parts to the printer's location and a Calgraph tech gets dispatched as soon as possible. Usually, this means a day or two after the part gets there.

Barry

wolf2x said:
"However, Mutoh itself uses a different parts/repair company then SW."

Signwarehouse and Mutoh use the same parts/repair company. The company is called G.E.I. Calgraph and they are the only ones that Mutoh contracts with for parts and repairs.

Usually what happens is that Mutoh overnights the parts to the printer's location and a Calgraph tech gets dispatched as soon as possible. Usually, this means a day or two after the part gets there.

Personally I would rather have my dealer service my machine. The dealers tend to care more about their customers machines than a 3rd party repair company.

WVB

wolf2x - unless that has changed recently then they do not share the same repair facility. I contacted Mutoh direct and Mutoh informed me on the differences. Mutoh also said SW has to watch how they are telling people they sell Mutoh when in fact they do not sell the name Mutoh but their OEMed name PrismJet. They are the same machine yes, use the same parts yes, but do not use the same repair facility. SW has its own contract with another repair facility then what Mutoh offers. There warranty might be different as well. Other then that and the restamped OEM name those are the only two differences.

But in any event you buy a prism you are stuck with SW - Again if that has changed recently my appologies for incorrect information.

Techman

Plus, If you buy a used machine from another party.. And then try to get support from SW,, they will ask you to pay in excess of $250.00 to re-register your machine under your name.

That in itself is outragous and reduces the resell value of your machine. So, those who buy cheap will pay in the long run anyway..

--Tech

kalvix

Buy ANYTHING ELSE JUST NOT from Sign WAREHOUSE

This is where someone like me who has dealt with SW steps in and says they are one of the most unethical and prententious companies i have ever worked with with. Yes this is past tense as I refuse to order anything from them again. They don't value their customers on the repair/replace issue side. They don't stand behind their products and don't support customers.

I have a mimaki and grimco is outstanding in providing service in this area... not sure if you are close, but i would stand behind local dealers who support their customers.

Scott Reynolds

Please DO NOT BUY FROM SIGNWHORE HOUSE,,,, did I type that? The worst support in the world!! Buy your printer / cutter combo from a dealer that will give you good tech support EVERY time. I would say SSK for the east coast and Exicters for the west. The reds for the Mutoh are great. Good printer for the price. Exciters has a used Az 180 for 5K.

http://www.exciters.com/

http://www.signsupplystore.com/