• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to use to compress files for email

dj_elite

Anyone know a good way to compress flexi files for email? My email only allows up to 10mb per email, I Have files over 20mb! What do you guys do?

dj_elite

even tweaked it only changed like 160kb which is nothing. It seems to be the file type. I didn't know if anyone knew of a program good specifically for flexi files. The .fs type

RebeckaR

Instead of trying to compress a file, we use YouSendIt and send a link to the person so they can download from there.

dj_elite

Is that free? Going to try it right now. My other option was to upload it to my website, but it times out everytime I try and upload it?

RebeckaR

We use the free version which will allow you to send a file up to 100mb. So far it has worked every time.

dj_elite

The free trial was asking for my credit card info, so I googled for sites like it and found drivehq. Trying that right now. Thanks for the info!

Locals Find!

I don't email large files. I have a dropbox account they have a free version that gives you 2 gb of space and every person you refer gets you 250 mb of additional space up to an extra gig, and its easy to get your clients to use also. Saves us tons of times and are client love it because they can throw files into it and I can instantly have access to them.

Really really worth checking out. www.dropbox.com

RebeckaR

Thanks, Adtechia.
I'm gonna give dropbox a try cuz sometimes I just need access to files I'm working on at home, so I have to tote an external hard drive with me everywhere I go. If I forget and leave it home it's almost like forgetting your cell phone. (Arghhhh!!!)
How do I give your name as a referral?

Locals Find!

Thanks, Adtechia.
I'm gonna give dropbox a try cuz sometimes I just need access to files I'm working on at home, so I have to tote an external hard drive with me everywhere I go. If I forget and leave it home it's almost like forgetting your cell phone. (Arghhhh!!!)
How do I give your name as a referral?

I think I can send you an invite if you wanna pm me your email address. Then I can get the referral.

iSign

I have the freeware version of LeapFTP on all my computers.
My website is hosted by goDaddy & I have folders on their server that I move files to from the office, and download again to work on at home. Also, for sending an odd file format to someone else, I zip up the file & then put it in the root directory. In this way, a file names signs101.zip can be uploaded to my islandsign.com server & I can call or email the recipient to simply type islandsign.com/signs101.zip in their browser & the file starts downloading (after they click "yes' to the popup)

I also have logmein loaded on every computer, & my design station never gets shut down, so I can access it from home to put a file on the web server if I forgot to do it before I left...

Locals Find!

I have the freeware version of LeapFTP on all my computers.
My website is hosted by goDaddy & I have folders on their server that I move files to from the office, and download again to work on at home. Also, for sending an odd file format to someone else, I zip up the file & then put it in the root directory. In this way, a file names signs101.zip can be uploaded to my islandsign.com server & I can call or email the recipient to simply type islandsign.com/signs101.zip in their browser & the file starts downloading (after they click "yes' to the popup)

I also have logmein loaded on every computer, & my design station never gets shut down, so I can access it from home to put a file on the web server if I forgot to do it before I left...

I just wanted to say "Thanks I-Sign" that is a wonderful way of moving files that I had never thought of. That will come in real handy for those clients that aren't that computer savvy. :U Rock:

longbeachmichael

i stopped emailing large files, didnt make sense, i have to wait to upload, then they have to wait while downloading. i use a small utility from analogx.com called simple server, drag and drop the file on the program window, then copy and paste the link in an email to the customer. very useful program.

showcase 66

I don't email large files. I have a dropbox account they have a free version that gives you 2 gb of space and every person you refer gets you 250 mb of additional space up to an extra gig, and its easy to get your clients to use also. Saves us tons of times and are client love it because they can throw files into it and I can instantly have access to them.

Really really worth checking out. www.dropbox.com

I use dropbox as well. Works great for me.