• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What vinyl is this?

Devon19515

Some other company in our area is using a print vinyl that is "burning".
I have seen this several times where around the printed copy/graphic the vinyl turns brown or almost black.
What kind of vinyl/method would cause this. These cant be that old, maybe less than a year.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3201.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 314

Vinyldog

Are you sure they're not just filming a Steven King movie there? Or maybe M Night Shaw-ma-lawn. (possibly not be the correct spelling)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Holy Smokes, the church is on fire. :omg:

Looks like someone is slowly torching the signs. Why isn't it happening to the stuff down below ?? Very inconsistent, at best. I'd call them, ask the company who made it what they're using and steer clear of it.

Devon19515

I have an idea which company is doing these signs, just curious of what material, ink, laminate, or what might cause something this bad to happen. I would be pissed if this was my sign. Who is it that says,"the excitement of a low price is long forgotten, etc....

Bigdawg

Just Me
Years ago I saw this on some LG printed vinyl - really cheap stuff - can't remember what series. That's been about 8 or 9 years back, so not sure if it is that material or another on your sign.

Kollman32

Judging by the looks and our luck we've had with it, it is probably Instant One Media Calendered. The cast is ok, but the calendered shrinks/browns. JUNK

Christian @ 2CT Media

Judging by the looks and our luck we've had with it, it is probably Instant One Media Calendered. The cast is ok, but the calendered shrinks/browns. JUNK

Funny, I have printed nearly 100 rolls of their calendared and haven't experienced this and I'm in AZ. I have experienced some shrinking like all calendared vinyls but never burning like that, laminated or unlaminated. I wouldn't be so quick to assume its one vinyl or another.

Kollman32

And you haven't had one problem with IOM? I highly doubt that. I'm speaking out of frustration that you get what you pay for when it comes to media.

TXFB.INS

Funny, I have printed nearly 100 rolls of their calendared and haven't experienced this and I'm in AZ. I have experienced some shrinking like all calendared vinyls but never burning like that, laminated or unlaminated. I wouldn't be so quick to assume its one vinyl or another.

we also have used a far amount of the calendared material from Instant, and have done our own testing with and without full bleed / solid ink coverage. It acts like as good if not better than a lot of the "name brand" vinyls.

regarding the OP, yes we have seen this more than once and it is usually the lamination that does it. especially when a non UV treated / indoor lamination is used.
The curling from the edge is a major indication of either a very cheap vinyl was used or a substrate that was not intended for graphics.
Either way, looks like a hack job if it is less than a year old.

Christian @ 2CT Media

And you haven't had one problem with IOM? I highly doubt that. I'm speaking out of frustration that you get what you pay for when it comes to media.

I didn't say that But I have been buying from and using the products from Instant One Media for over 2 years now. The few problems I've had with the products they offer have been rectified and I haven't had those issues since.

If you want to get on manufacturer bashing line of thought, I'm out over $50,000 due to faulty 3M 8508 laminate and 8512 Laminate that is discontinued. All manufacturers have issues, its how those manufacturers treat you to take care of those issues that matter.... 3M Gave us the shaft, Instant One Media (Don and Alison) have always stepped up to the plate to make things right and keep us happy which is why we stand by their products.

TimToad

I see that phenomenon in our area all the time. My guess is that it takes at least four or five years to occur, but I haven't been here long enough to put a timeline to it. We are in an area of intense UV and 320-340 full sun days per year, but not any higher than AZ I would imagine.

I see it frequently on coroplast signs, as if the process of the coroplast deteriorating is also eating up the media from the backside.

My guess is its cheap calendared vinyl laminated with either cheap or mismatched laminate.

x2chris7x

I've seen that happen to signs we've printed... So go quicker than others, I think it depends on how much direct sun the signs see. It's not the vinyl though, its the laminate... We laminate with Oracal 210. We re-printed a sign that was around 4 years old, it was in direct sun all day, and when we replace it, it was "burnt" completely black. You couldn't read any text, but we started picking at the laminate and found that underneath the burnt lam the ink was still in good shape, not even that faded...

TDFcustomSL

Couldn't Agree More, I Have NEVER Seen This With IOM.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It's the laminate not the vinyl. I've just about given up laminating anything with vinyl laminate because of this. Of course I'm a mile closer to the sun than the most of you flatlanders and the UV is far more intense at these altitudes. Unless the product is going to see an excessive amount of violence I'll coat it with Clear Shield liquid laminate. It has every bit as much UV resistance and doesn't discolor.

Case in point: On my truck the tailgate is wrapped in a print and there's three printed panes on the hood. These prints have been on the truck for ~5 years. The tailgate print is laminated withe Oracal 290 and the prints on the hood are coated with Clear Shield classic [nee original formula]. The tailgate is starting to discolor but the prints on the hood look just like the day I applied them. Except for the scratch where a horse I was riding decided to scratch his chin and dragged the shank of his bit across one of the panels. Even laminate wouldn't have fared well with that treatment.

0igo

It's the laminate not the vinyl. I've just about given up laminating anything with vinyl laminate because of this. Of course I'm a mile closer to the sun than the most of you flatlanders and the UV is far more intense at these altitudes. Unless the product is going to see an excessive amount of violence I'll coat it with Clear Shield liquid laminate. It has every bit as much UV resistance and doesn't discolor.

Case in point: On my truck the tailgate is wrapped in a print and there's three printed panes on the hood. These prints have been on the truck for ~5 years. The tailgate print is laminated withe Oracal 290 and the prints on the hood are coated with Clear Shield classic [nee original formula]. The tailgate is starting to discolor but the prints on the hood look just like the day I applied them. Except for the scratch where a horse I was riding decided to scratch his chin and dragged the shank of his bit across one of the panels. Even laminate wouldn't have fared well with that treatment.

Do you use clears shield for flat surface signs only? Or do you use it for wraps as well?