• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you do?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I subcontracted an install of a monument sign to a company in Alabama. I had it fabricated here in TX and had it hotshoted to the location. While the installers were putting the sign up, the client was onsite and asked them to use the touchup paint we sent to go over the screws to the face they put in. Well, apparently whoever was tasked to do the touchup paint was letting big runs drip all down the face of the push-thru acrylic sign. It dried and there was no way to fix it. When the client came back and noticed what he was doing he told them to stop.

I talked with the client and we settled on replacing just the one face that was visible from the driveway. I just ate the cost of fabricating the second face and asked the installers to "cover the reinstall". When I mentioned the paint problems, the installer said they were just doing what they were told from the client. (I let it go but I wanted to say, "Did they ask you to make paint runs all down the sign?":mad:)

I got the new face fabricated and personally drove out to Alabama to make sure it went on correctly and that the sign was the quality they expect. I met the installers onsite and they remove the old face. They prepare to get the new face ready and I said I'll get on a ladder under your bucket and help tell you that it's lined up. So they lift the second face, I get on the small 8' folding ladder and they are struggling to hold it. Well, they DROP the second face, which knocks the ladder out from under me and I fall. It was a young guy and an older guy in the bucket and I suspect the older guy couldn't hold on to the sign because he had shaky hands and it was way too heavy for one person. Now the second face is dented, scratched and some other parts of the monument are scratched too. Now what do we do? I called their boss and told him what happened. He says we could bring a face back and they can repaint it and fix it. (I didn't know they had the ability to do that, otherwise I would of told them to do that on the first face:rolleyes:). Anyway, we bring the original face back because that one wasn't dented. They remove the push-through acrylic, sand it and repaint and reinstall. Everything is well with the world right? Then I get this in the mail today....

pic.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
When this sort of thing has came up here before, it seems to be a split. A similar situation we deal with is glass. If we remove glass from a truck/machine for repairs, the customer pays if it breaks coming out, going in, an idiot here drops it, it gets damaged in storage..... basically any reason at all. That is pretty common in this particular trade. Now when we hire it out, they will not cover any glass that they pull out but if they supply it and they break it putting it in then they will replace the material. They will never cover glass that we supplied and just paid the labor to install.

ikarasu

Send them a bill to re-produce a brand new face for $1020, then another bill for $600 for you to travel and deliver it.
Then Photoshop a doctor's bill for $2300 for an er visit because some dumbass dropped a sign on you and you fell.

Follow up with a " want to call it a wash and say we're even?", Email. Then never use them again!

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

Start off by calling them and calmly explaining that these extra charges were a direct result of their mistakes and you will not be paying them to fix their own mistakes, you already remade the face they ruined at no cost to them, if they insist on charging for this, you will be sending them a bill for remaking the face they damaged.

Give them the benefit of the doubt, possibly there was a workorder made for the rework and the bookkeeper invoiced it rather than write it off, I've done that by mistake a few times.

If they insist, tell them to pound sand.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I agree with Ikarasu 100%. I was sore for about 2 weeks after that fall, and couldn't do installs for a solid week. I actually caught some of it on video (from the dashcam in my truck) but most of it was out of frame. When I fell, I immediately sprung up and scattered away because I was afraid the aluminum face was going to chop my head off. Thankfully I moved just in time before the face fell sideways and you see it hit about a second after I stand up.

I just got a response back...

Screenshot_20220813-200219_Outlook~2.jpg

Howie

Don't pay it . As hard as it is we all want to pay our bills because it's the right thing to do . But if one is getting screwed like this , turn the page and move on . Live and learn .

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First of all, YOU never should've been up on someone else's ladder. You are not covered by your insurance or probably theirs. Easier said at this point, but it's hard to remember things from several,, several states away. You weren't part of the installation team from the start. Driving all that distance lseems kinda odd...... more like you're checking up on them.

With the various complaints you have withi installation companies, I'd reconsider your method of picking or finding them. You seem to find the real winners.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It was my ladder... why wouldn't my insurance cover me? That wasn't the only reason I was in Alabama... I had other jobs / deliveries along the way. But yes, if I have an install go wrong I owe it to my client to be onsite and make sure it goes right, so I was there checking up on them.

Based on the people I see on these forums, I say I'm picking pretty well if even half my jobs go well. I don't post about all the ones that go right, that would be more boring than Roberts listening newsletters. About 95% of the time things go well... The other 5% I'll share here.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It was my ladder... why wouldn't my insurance cover me? That wasn't the only reason I was in Alabama... I had other jobs / deliveries along the way. But yes, if I have an install go wrong I owe it to my client to be onsite and make sure it goes right, so I was there checking up on them.

Based on the people I see on these forums, I say I'm picking pretty well if even half my jobs go well. I don't post about all the ones that go right, that would be more boring than Roberts listening newsletters. About 95% of the time things go well... The other 5% I'll share here.
You should take them on a personal tour of your silo sign. "No, it's ok, you don't need that fall harness, we're on the catwalk."

visual800

first off reveal their names on that invoice. We all wanna know who these dudes are. Quit hiding stuff.

2nd for me to drive from alabama to texas that sign better be worth $15,000. as far as their invoice they should have never sent that. this whole situation sounds like you got hooked with some shady hicka$$ installers. You need to find better subs man.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
first off reveal their names on that invoice. We all wanna know who these dudes are. Quit hiding stuff.

2nd for me to drive from alabama to texas that sign better be worth $15,000. as far as their invoice they should have never sent that. this whole situation sounds like you got hooked with some shady hicka$$ installers. You need to find better subs man.
Visual, the entire sign cost much more than $15k. Sometimes there are very limited options as far as installers go. Not every sign company has more than one bucket truck, so options can be limited in rural parts of the country. My stop after that was to Montgomery where I had a delivery and spent the night. Thankfully you have some good installers down there like your local Fast Signs. Montgomery is like walking back in time to the 1960s when blacks just got free. Rosa Parks would think nothing changed

I would not reveal names on here of people I complain about. That's crossing a line.

Medina Signs

Old Member
Hi Tex,

Sounds like you've done everything you should have done - Have they responded after your last contact? It sounds like they owe you after dropping the sign.

Also, we always paint screw heads as part of any installation. The installers should have done that without being asked to do so - just not so much paint.

visual800

Visual, the entire sign cost much more than $15k. Sometimes there are very limited options as far as installers go. Not every sign company has more than one bucket truck, so options can be limited in rural parts of the country. My stop after that was to Montgomery where I had a delivery and spent the night. Thankfully you have some good installers down there like your local Fast Signs. Montgomery is like walking back in time to the 1960s when blacks just got free. Rosa Parks would think nothing changed

I would not reveal names on here of people I complain about. That's crossing a line.
I agree montgomery is a $h__hole town. Everyone is flocking from here as fast as they can. Im sorry you had to see how filthy this place has become it disgusts me! Never used the fast signs for an install but I know a guy that works there