• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you guys add (or remove) from this wrap install kit?

thesignexpert

This is from post on TheSignExpert.com for a Wrap Installer Kit

WrapInstallerKit_layers.jpg

Definitely magnets, at least 4 and an electric heat gun along with that torch. Torches are nice, but heat guns are real hard to ruin a print with. Torches can do it in a split second.

+1 for magnets and a heat gun. I like the Geek Wraps Power Slam magnets, but they're expensive. I would recommend something like this instead of a pair of scissors though. It fits in your pocket and won't gouge the paint if you accidentally rub against it when cutting the backing.

thesignexpert

+1 for magnets and a heat gun. I like the Geek Wraps Power Slam magnets, but they're expensive. I would recommend something like this instead of a pair of scissors though. It fits in your pocket and won't gouge the paint if you accidentally rub against it when cutting the backing.

We've really been on the fence with magnets. With regular vehicles they are very handy but with commercial vehicles (box trucks, trailers etc.) they don't work on the aluminum skin. Tape, on the other hand, works no matter what we are dealing with. We did have some of the mags with plastic faces and a ring to pull them back off... they fell apart after about 3 months.

SIGNTIME

Ditch the 6 inch hard squeegees and the seal it pen I would want to add an oshee, a zippy cutter, and if using 3m add primer 94. Also just alcohol isn't going to cut it for prep in most, if not all cases.... magnets are handy for hoods and when you have nothing to tape to.

ddubia

My son wraps daily. One thing he uses, and swears by, but I don't see it here is 3M 5151 glass cloth squeegee tape. He wraps the squeegee edges with the tape. He says it glides over the material without scratching. Fellers sells it for about $100 a roll.

thesignexpert

My son wraps daily. One thing he uses, and swears by, but I don't see it here is 3M 5151 glass cloth squeegee tape. He wraps the squeegee edges with the tape. He says it glides over the material without scratching. Fellers sells it for about $100 a roll.

Can you get this from any other source?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
wrap tools.jpg

air release tool
scotch gift wrap cutter - cut off mask, if the stars are aligned (not to hot or solvent soaked) you can create a split back and not damage the vinyl.
NT cartridge style knives - hold 5 blades in the knife and quick reload. No excuses not to have a good sharp blade for important cuts.
6" ruler - marking overlaps and off body lines, easier to use than a tape.
knifeless - didn't like wrap cut
magnets, any brand - over the long run cheaper than good masking tape as long as you don't lose them.
rivet brush
3M CMP1 - rarely use it but has it's place.
3M rapid roller - this tool is great for the space in between rivet rows on trailers. 2 passes between a row of rivets and your ready for the rollepro. The roller doesn't push a wave like a squeegee on a hot day.
Felt squeegee - works better in curved areas than typical covered squeegees.
Heat gun - post heating
Heat gun (panel and clip removal tools)- less likely to break clips removing interior panels and the fire retarder panel under the hood.
Screwdriver and assorted bits - removing lights and interior panels.
Socket set - mirrors, body panels, and the buttons on van windows.
Wax carving set - used to lift rubber and then follow with a squeegee to tuck vinyl under the rubber. Only one or two will work in the set. Avery has a new tool as well.
telescoping hook and magnet - used to grab wires and hardware dropped in hard to reach places.
razor scraper - scrape gunk off window and use plastic blades for removing vinyl and adhesive on paint.

These are other tools to consider.

Attachments

• wrap tools.jpg
    wrap tools.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 111