• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats your favorite weeding tool?

Kottwitz-Graphics

#11 with a slightly dull blade tip.

I have two handles one with a new #11 and one that is slightly worn. Once the new blade gets to the point that it will not do a clean cut it's perfect for weeding.

Exactly. When I first started, years ago, my boss would put in a fresh blade, and weeded for 2 minutes, then wander off. I would pick up the xacto, and I just couldn't seem to grab the centers. I would throw it into the table and couple of times, and start weeding. I would put the blade down, go do something, and he would have picked it up, and change the blade. He once remarked how he couldn't understand how I dulled a blade so quickly.

rdm01

Got to be a #11. I too have two separate handles, one with a brand new sharp blade and one that's been worn, and that handle does 95% of the weeding. If I have to put a new blade in the worn handle I typically spend a couple seconds rubbing it on the cement floor to get it to the proper sharpness.

rfulford

I wrap a bit of tape around the base of an old plotter blade to thicken it up and use it in a kobalt hobby knife.

decalman

I got an axto knife, that goes in a little holster, that goes around my neck, for fast grabbing. No time to waste.

Pat Whatley

Pat, Why a #16 over a #11? Ive always used a #11, Maybe ill learn something new today.

the #11 blade is the generic "fits all" blade the give you....meaning it will do most jobs but won't do most of them well.

Benefits of the #16:
•tips rarely, if ever, break off
•the reduced angle means that when it falls off the table it won't stab into your foot as deeply
•also doesn't stab your fingertips as easily.
•they stay sharp MUCH longer
•when weeding small letters you can stab the center of one letter, if will hold on the blade, use that to stab the next 30 letters, pop the clump off, start again.
•using the backside of the blade instead of the sharpened side is an excellent way to cut acrylic and polymetal.
•the angle of the blade makes it easier to see what you're doing making precise cuts easier.

attachment.php

I use the one on the left for adhesive vinyl, and the one on the right (dental pick ground down to a dull point) for heat press materials.The 'ball' pick doesn't stab me in the fingers, doesn't stab into the backing paper, and allows me to pick and weed very quickly.

Attachments

• wtf.jpg
    wtf.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 163

floater302

Good points, I might have to try one, But you know if the made a x-acto holder that was square and not round it wouldnt roll off the table and try stabbing us all in the foot..

2B

whatever is closest, usually it is an xacto blade, #11, prefer the sharp point