• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When to wet

When would you need to do a "wet" application?
Can I not just apply dry?
is wet for body or glass or both?

Maybe there is a tutorial here some place?

Thanks

Ken

How do you NOT get bubbles applying dry on glass?
I have never had any luck with that.
Thanks.
Ken

Former member

I dont have any major bubble problems on dry glass. Go slow and low(a low angle on the squegee) I'm not 100% all the time but nothing that the air release tool cant remedy.

TLG

I agree with BladeGraphics. I use wet when apply a 2nd or 3rd color on the first one. Also helps on vehicles over soft curves.
check out: www.autotechmfg.com/products
800-545-8624

I've used their Decal Graphic Solution for 2 years and am very happy as it works for HP & Int grades of vinyl so I only need to stock one fluid. Also using their Adhesive Remover and a skin protectant product.

Rich is a principal there and a really professional source. Tell him I sent you along.

Al

Roger Bailey

206, check out my FREE video demos (glass apps, coroplast apps, etc.)

www.rapidtac.com

You can do a wet application (with rapidtac or TacII) on any sealed substrate.

Wood paper etc. that have not been sealed won't work.

The reason to use the wet application is to insure properly cleaned substrate for superior bonding (rapid Tac and TacII are cleaners, positioning fluid and adhesive stimulant all in one bottle.

They eliminate bubbles or misalignment.

Rapid Prep is a very strong water based solvent for deep cleaning of wax,grease,oil,silicone,etc. only necc. if you suspect fresh wax silicone etc..

The people that tell you you must wait more then 1 minute to remove transfer tape are NOT cleaning properly, following instructions means don't use other cleaning solvents or cleansers, and only use CHEAP paper towels to wipe with (they have not been saturated with chemicals) .

the "super absorbant/lint free" paper towels will contaminate and cause poor bonding and so will cloth towels or rags,which means waiting 30 minutes to remove trans tape, then never really having a good bond anyway , resulting in your vinyl not holding up to carwash sprayers!

Watch those videos, you'll see.

Roger:thumb:

Replicator

RT & RT2 are good products . . . no doubt, in the right instance they can be used effectively . . . however to imply that the use of yours or any other wet
product will leave no bubbles is a blatant misrepresentation of any wet product.

Bubbles will always happen no matter what . . . I go dry most of the time . . .
and wet sometimes . . . and I do use RT products [no bash] but lets be real !

Ken

See, I dont want to come back and remove air bubbles. That's a crappy way to spend my time. Put it down, peel off the tape, collect the money....go home. I prefer that. 25 cents worth of app fluid..is it worth it?
Ken

Roger Bailey

Replicator, I'm sorry but I must correct you here, you have some problem with your procedure like " not getting the substrate wet enough" .

You see, if there are any dry spots on substrate , then you lay vinyl over them they are now a traped air pocket that becomes nearly impossible to squeegee out.

Most people think that getting the surfase too wet will slow bonding, actually this is far from the facts, the Rapid Tac or TacII will allow you to squeegee all the air out with the liquid, they are also heating and softening the skin on each microscopic bead of adhesive allowing easier flow of adhesive ( remember "preasure sensitive" ) thats the bursting of beads of adhesive.

See the full explanition on my site www.rapidtac.com

Roger:wink:

Mardi

Wet application is a big no-no for me with an exception.

When I begun installing vinyl, I was getting frustrated with bubbles and started doing wet app. What I have realised is that the timme difference needed for wet vs dry istall is not worth it. I spent some time experimenting and practicing till I was able to do dry installation with no or minimum bubbles.

One of rare wet aplications I still use is when I have a tight registration with layered colors.

I still suggest wet application to people with litlle experiance, but if you are going to install vinyl on daily bases, practice and do it dry. It will pay off.

Molson

We all know what vinyl costs right? Take some time and practice the amount of vinyl you burn up when practicing at home at night will make up for itsself in the long run. Plus you look real good when the customer stands there and watches you and you dont screw up. We all had to start somewhere so try and see which way works best for YOU. I personally do everything dry. I have employees who have to use rapid tac. Its all about being comfortable with what you are doing.

Creative_Lance

Roger, i like the product and the video is great, too bad i won't need it till next year, it's warming up here, although i do most of my vinyl dry.

ovrcafnatd

We always do Acrylic sign faces wet if using trans. vinyl.
I for one cannot ever get away without having bubbles on acrylic/lexan etc.
if I do it dry.....impossible for me

we used to use a homemade product for wet apps
but switched to rapid and now I stock at least a gallon of it for backup
and carry prep, tack and remover in my vinyl bucket I take on jobs
(gotta luv that smell too)

Geary

I like going dry on most applications that have smaller than 3 or 4" letters. And, btw, I'm a "center-hinger" for everything.

Large panels of vinyl like "Frosted or Dusted Crystal" and Scotchlite® will ALWAYS require wet application on glass and most very smooth glossy surfaces like automotive or baked-on substrates.

I will tell you the one place you will NEVER get bubbles on glass if you need to apply "dusted crystal" (the faux sandblasted look vinyls) . You absolutely HAVE to go wet with it. Period.

My saying has been for almost two decades now...."you can't USE enough RapidTac® (or home-made solutions)" on both the film and the glass for laying down completely covered applications. And even if you do leave one or two tiny ones....they'll be gone within a few days anyhow.

I'm very very critical of techniques and applications and I'm tellin' ya....I wholeheartedly recommend RapidTac®. (no.....Roger nor any of the Baileys pay me a thing for this endorsement...nothing....nada....zip). I just honestly like the product.)

~Gear