• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When Will Adobe Do This...

WildWestDesigns

I have to wonder when Adobe will institute something like this.

I'm sure anyone that uses these programs oh 6 days or less per month probably makes sense, anything more then that per month, probably not.

While some on here I'm sure just love their subscriptions, more and more, I'm glad that I don't have to deal with it anymore.

I do know that some on here may occasionally use more the modeling programs for 3D Printing (or maybe not due to the cost of said programs). May be worth it for y'all.

rjssigns

I'd rather have the tokens be for X amount of hours. But Autodesk knows that would be reasonable so they only last 24 hours. Or maybe I'd the only one that gets called away from what I was doing.

signage

I'd rather have the tokens be for X amount of hours. But Autodesk knows that would be reasonable so they only last 24 hours. Or maybe I'd the only one that gets called away from what I was doing.
Then you would be complaining about your internet speed, can't make everyone happy, unless it is free:dog42:

Johnny Best

Sounds like they are trying to squeeze some more money out of their software. I have moved to Affinity Photo and Designer.
Adobe is parking meter software.

WildWestDesigns

Sounds like they are trying to squeeze some more money out of their software. I have moved to Affinity Photo and Designer.
Adobe is parking meter software.
Don't worry though, pretty soon hardware OEMs are going to be right up there with them, some quicker then others.

$21 to use autocad for a day seems a little steep.
If my math is correct, keep in mind I am an aggie, compared to a yearly subscription, if "you" use it 6 days a month or less, it is cheaper then a year subscription. That's if one needs something like this.

I'm more of a traditional perpetual license kinda guy, even if the upfront cost is more (and again, I come from the land of $15k software for 1 piece of software, not a suite, the upgrade cost is about the cost of the CS Master Suite new). But that does appear to be a dying model. Brave new world, at least it better be.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
On the flip side of this, imagine dropping 30K on a printer and not picking up a half ways decent decent laminator...

WildWestDesigns

Id rather go back to the way it used to be. Pay for the software outright. I hate monthly subscriptions and this isnt much better.
Imagine when we get to the OS as a service (and it's getting there, for business users Windows is already there, but with the mandatory MS account that's coming thru the pipeline as well as "Smart" App Control, it's coming for normies, not going to have much control over one's computer like there used to be), that will make SaaS seem like a walk in the park.

rjssigns

Imagine when we get to the OS as a service (and it's getting there, for business users Windows is already there, but with the mandatory MS account that's coming thru the pipeline as well as "Smart" App Control, it's coming for normies, not going to have much control over one's computer like there used to be), that will make SaaS seem like a walk in the park.
That's when I pull the plug, retire and go back to weld/fab to keep me active and make a few bucks.

WildWestDesigns

That's when I pull the plug, retire and go back to weld/fab to keep me active and make a few bucks.
Better get ready, because it's coming. Writing is on the wall, that slow boil is almost over. Your two big boys (as far as OSs goes) are getting more and more locked down (I'm so glad that I don't use either one) all under the guise of "security".

I do like my tech, but if it does get harder on the hardware front (although that is changing, thankfully) for me to run what I want to run, I may go back to full traditional animation. That was more of a hobby, but I kept doing animated shorts, some stop go as well.

Although I wouldn't put it past any tools with having some type of DRM control on them. I imagine those too will be IoT devices at some point.

rjssigns

Better get ready, because it's coming. Writing is on the wall, that slow boil is almost over. Your two big boys (as far as OSs goes) are getting more and more locked down (I'm so glad that I don't use either one) all under the guise of "security".

I do like my tech, but if it does get harder on the hardware front (although that is changing, thankfully) for me to run what I want to run, I may go back to full traditional animation. That was more of a hobby, but I kept doing animated shorts, some stop go as well.

Although I wouldn't put it past any tools with having some type of DRM control on them. I imagine those too will be IoT devices at some point.
Been ready. I'm an on call weld/fab guy for an HVAC place. Although that's been a little slim since the owners nuke certified welder son-in-law was laid off when the power plant closed.
We're still scouting property where I can build a proper shop. Talked to one of the potential neighbors. He said; "With your skillset once word gets out you'll be busier than you want to be."

Honestly there are a lot less headaches stickin' metal together than printing laminating designing etc... Although if I do go back into it full bore I'll need to get an inverter based TIG. My transformer style Syncrowave(not a typo) costs $19 an hour to run and most of that is electricity. Haven't recalculated in a while though and I should. Last bottle of argon was $140.:oops:, up 40 bucks since the last one.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I wouldn't want to weld/fab full time. It's harder on your body than doing this stuff and also gets to be just as monotonous as any other job. The price and availability of steel right now is another aggravation. We have a job repairing some barges and best we could do with a quote was leaving a $15k window due to the price of everything. I think when we priced the job 1/4 5x10 carbon steel was $1800/sheet and it dropped a few hundred bucks after we started. We have finished 2 out of 5 and think we are almost to the halfway point of our original budget and we did the easiest ones first.

rjssigns

I wouldn't want to weld/fab full time. It's harder on your body than doing this stuff and also gets to be just as monotonous as any other job. The price and availability of steel right now is another aggravation. We have a job repairing some barges and best we could do with a quote was leaving a $15k window due to the price of everything. I think when we priced the job 1/4 5x10 carbon steel was $1800/sheet and it dropped a few hundred bucks after we started. We have finished 2 out of 5 and think we are almost to the halfway point of our original budget and we did the easiest ones first.
I get it, but this would be a retirement gig. As it is I only take the gravy jobs. Mostly welding at my table or rarely working with a project on the floor. Restaurant curbs(Vent/MUA) fell into that category, but were easy work. Get the parts aligned and tacked then TIG aluminum the rest of the day. Doing them also taught me an important lesson about air cooled torches.;)