• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where can I get styrofoam letters?

dbdreams

Then as I stated before, go to a sign professional. Otherwise it's gonna look shoddy (like the one you have does) and unprofessional.

Your local sign shop will be able to give you examples of the materials you SHOULD be using instead of the materials you WANT to use. And it'll be done the right way. Hell, a router and a sheet of painted omega bond would look a thousand times better than "styrofoam" letters.

It has already been removed when we had the pressure washing done for painting. I knew it looked bad that is why I am here now. Again for the first 5 years or so it looked great and actually had complements on it. The paint on the building also looked better then as well. I am not going to rule out having a local shop do it but I was rather pleased with the results the first time and I wouldn't mind replacing every 5 years or so but If I can find something a little more durable that would be even better. Not sure what omega bond is but I'll do a search.

If money were no concern I would love to have metal letterig that sticks out maybe 6 to 8 inches with some type of lighting to make the letters frin the road look as if they are floating.

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Welcome from the Kingdom of Texas!

Foam, no good! Great bird nesting material.
Maybe vinyl letter pattern on .5'' pvc, hand cut, primed and painted?

CentralSigns

You got a plotter, cut letters out of vinyl as a stencil. Buy a cheep scroll saw or band-saw and a sheet of pink closed cell styrene from the lumber store. Attach the stencils to styrene. Cut letters out prime and paint with high quality sign paint. That's how you get the letters you asked for. Expect it to take a week to complete 1 day cutting and sanding, and then paint everyday till done.

Your Welcome!!

Mosh

and they are guaranteed FOR LIFE!!!!! what ever that means. I have some that have been up since 1988 and still look like new.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
and they are guaranteed FOR LIFE!!!!! what ever that means. I have some that have been up since 1988 and still look like new.
Mosh,
I think that means when that 3 legged skunk comes back and takes you out the letter guarantee is void.

Welcome new guy.
We do tint and signs also and Gemini does sell to us.

wayne k
guam usa

JaXsun

The letters on my building are deteriorating and I would like to know where I can get the styrofaom to make new letters? These have been up for about 10 years but really only looked good for about 5 years. If there is some other product better to make the letters with it would be cool too. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated. Thanks

I used to work with styrafoam lettering when I worked in the visual displays in a major department store. While the application worked will indoors, I can see why it holds for 5 years.

I know you wanted to make them from existing sign material. But, have you tried using Gemini Letters. They carry a multitude of sizes, finishes and colors.

Last edited by a moderator:

dbdreams

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I now have several options and directions that I can choose to go. Your help is much appreciated.

ionsigns

Plot the template on your plotter. Get the foam from Lowes Home Depot. Google hot wire foam cutter - DIY - make cutter with NiChrome wire - POT and doorbell transformer.
Coat with LATEX. Attach with adhesive silicone. Play nice. Love.

petrosgraphics

use gatorfoam any sign supplier should have it...

it is anywhere from a 1/2" to, i believe, 2" thick... 4'x 8' sheets.. paper faced or plastic.

easy to cut, lots of latex paint and you are good to go.....