• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where should logo go on passenger side?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I hate this...is there a standard rule for this on the passenger side? I have some customers who like it left, some right. What is the sign world standard, or is it simply a case by case basis?

1681218193373.png

brdesign

I would go with option one. As a rule I don't alter customer logos unless the customer tells me to, their brand guidelines allow for modification, or if the design looks really bad without altering it. Also it makes it easier for production if the graphics for both sides are the same, you don't have to worry about your installer getting them mixed up.

signheremd

And this is why we make proofs... as a general rule, we do not alter the logo layout. But I can think of cases where a mirror image layout was preferred and used. So exceptions. One thing to remember is that flags are to be mirrored on the second side so they always face the same direction.

gnubler

^ What those people said... It all depends. Usually I don't alter the design unless customer requests it to be mirrored. I've done US flags mirrored at customer request, even though it looks "backwards" on one side.

unclebun

^ What those people said... It all depends. Usually I don't alter the design unless customer requests it to be mirrored. I've done US flags mirrored at customer request, even though it looks "backwards" on one side.
I'm not sure if this was the way it was all along, because I had drummed into my head as a kid that the field of stars always goes in the top left, but on military uniforms and vehicles the rule now is that the field is always to the front of the person or vehicle so that it looks like it would were it flying from a staff as the person/vehicle is moving forwards.

signbrad

Typically, a logo like this is composed of both the symbol and the name, not just the symbol, though sometimes a well-known symbol can function as a stand-alone logo. A branding guideline will tell you the correct arrangement and order when the elements are used together. Often a stacked version is available for a combination symbol/name logo, too, which sometimes fits a truck door better.

The Chase Bank logo consists of the word CHASE plus the octagon symbol to the right of the name. This would never be reversed. Prior to 2005, however, Chase Bank had the symbol to the left. The Bank of Oklahoma consists of the words with their symbol to the left. Bank of America logo is the words with the symbol to the right. I think there is a stacked version, though, for all three of these banks.

Changing the order of the elements is changing the logo.
It's rare that an original logo design includes an optional mirrored version. Mirroring the US flag, though, is commonly done, depending on the context.

In the end, of course, I do what the client wants. My goal is not to force them to use their branding correctly, it's to get the money out of their pocket into mine. Heck, I'll misspell their name if that's what they want.:)

Brad in Kansas City

Stacey K

I like making signs
That quick? Do you have your customers on a whip or something?
LOL just cut vinyl. I sent the final proof via text yesterday morning. It was a rush job so we had talked about it last week. Funny. This customer liked the first version of the logo, first version of shirts and the truck.