• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Which material would be best for a work trailer set of decals?

Stacey K

I like making signs
There's no better way to learn than just jump in and do it. You will likely screw up and have to reprint/apply, but that's part of learning. Just make sure you have plenty of time and do not rush. I would allow yourself at least 2 full days to do all this or a weekend. That way if you get frustrated, you can walk away and start fresh the next day.

The first project I ever did was my husbands race car. I bit off way more than I could chew...layers and lots of sponsors. We were both super frustrated. But, when the first race came none of the vinyl came off and it looked good from the stands so it was a success!

newprinterguy

There's no better way to learn than just jump in and do it. You will likely screw up and have to reprint/apply, but that's part of learning. Just make sure you have plenty of time and do not rush. I would allow yourself at least 2 full days to do all this or a weekend. That way if you get frustrated, you can walk away and start fresh the next day.

The first project I ever did was my husbands race car. I bit off way more than I could chew...layers and lots of sponsors. We were both super frustrated. But, when the first race came none of the vinyl came off and it looked good from the stands so it was a success!
That's true, and I'm definitely prepared for failures, its part of the process. I had a conversation with my boss (the owner) last night, and he said that if I need 2 days to use 2 days.
I'm sure that first big successful project felt like a huge win. I'm hoping to have a similar victory in the next couple weeks. Taking it slow without dallying seems like the key.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Im 28 and graduated from AUarts in spring 2023 with a degree in design and illustration. I moved back in with my parents after school, couldnt find a job in my field for 9 or 10 months (applied to over 100 entry level jobs) and was working a janitorial gig until i found something.
I lucked out, there was a manufacturing/watersports company nearby (In this small town of 4000 people) that desperately needed a designer/print shop operator, as they had a boat show coming up and had no promo materials printed. their previous graphics and print guy up and left and nobody else in the company had any idea about anything in the print shop. I had a very small amount of experience and took 1 month of a print class while in school so i could kinda sound like i knew a thing or two in the interview.
I got the job and became a department of 1 handling graphic design, any promo materials, flyers and decals needed with relative autonomy.
I had no idea what vinyl was or anything starting out, or anything about large scale printing. So the first few weeks were self guided intense study of the industry and materials we had in stock and their applications. I doggy paddled my way through the boat show stuff and produced some convincing work. I still feel like a fish out of water every single day. But im learning a lot and luckily discovered this website, which has since become my most important resource.

Im confident in my ability to learn and to get this done, regardless of what anyone thinks. I had a discussion with the customer and got a bunch of the text dropped, but he's adamant about keeping what's here in the pics.
Well, if that's what they want then that's what they get. You are eager and will figure this stuff out quickly, don't overthink the material, everyone covered the options pretty well so pick the one you feel is best and give it a go. Worst case is you have to peel it off and go with plan B. I think 3551 was mentioned here but I wouldn't use that over rivets, a cast is what you should use for that. If the trailer had flat panel bonded sides then 3551 with a cast laminate would be fine IMO. I like SLX+ and 3m 8518 laminate