• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White Ghost Area? Need Help.

WBissmeyer

I am currently printing a vehicle wrap utilizing 3M Controltac on a Mimaki JV33-130 printer. Just after the print has passed through the viewing window prior to the fans the graphic looks great. As the graphic approaches the take up device white (ghost like) images appear. Can anyone help?

iSign

oops sorry... this is a serious question... um, I think you should try to photograph these "white ghost images" because your situation sounds very odd... also the claim that they popped up after the fans is suspect. Could the lighting in the room make them show up after they wrap down into a vertical hanging position, but possibly having been there when the print first rolled into view & just not yet visible?

Run some tests. Test the same file on different media. Test that 180C without the fans. test a different file on the 180c

It will be quite difficult to troubleshoot such an odd problem over the internet, but if you will be able to sort this one out, it will most likely be a result of several test & experiments & comments back on this thread. Keep us posted!

WBissmeyer

We switched media and the areas still randomly pop up on the media. The veiwing perspective is interesting but not valid. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

WBissmeyer

We have printed samples of our previous projects (3 10' x 54" Panels) and these areas are not occurring. Wouldn't this mean that the issue is with the file?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If the issue is with the file then you should be able to get the problem to show up on other media. Have you tried that?

The most likely reason is the combination of parameters in place when you run the job. The media, the file, the profile, the ink saturation, the resolution, the heat settings, the temperature and humidity in your shop, etc. What you must do to track it down is to experiment with modifying each parameter in your combination to see what may affect it. In such troubleshooting, it is best to not only determine what is wrong, but also to determine what is right or as it should be.

Without any pictures from you, it's hard to speak in anything other than generalities. So I suggest you post some. An educated guess as to where your problem most likely rests is that you are seeing a reaction in the film to the solvents in the ink after heat has been applied to the film. What happens if you crop out a small section of your film and run it at a lower heat setting? A higher heat setting? A lower ink saturation? A different resolution?

Sometimes you get situations that simply defy all logic and all you can do is avoid them in the future. For example:

On my Gerber Edge, when I try to print spot or process black foil on Oracal 751 Gold vinyl, using brand X it fails and brand Y it works. Yet any other film works fine with Brand X Spot Black or Process Black and any other Brand X color will print just fine on Oracal 751 Gold. No changes in my settings have any effect. There is no logical reason to explain the problem so avoiding the combination of Brand X Black and Oracal 751 Gold is our only solution.