• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White Ink Waste: Does the s80600 use white to mix colors?

mim

0_o
We got the printer recently and we haven't printed much white so far however it was the first cartridge to run out. I am wondering, is white used to make other colors? Thanks :)

mim

0_o
no, but it does get used up with normal cleaning. if you don;t use it often, you can swap it out with a cleaning cartridge

thank you! We don't use much of it but we do use it somewhat frequently with small things. The manual says to change it only if you're not going to use the white for 20+ days. Plus it takes an hour to switch over from white to the cleaning cartridge, which isn't very convenient to our work flow. I haven't tried this though, I am only basing it off of what I read online.

Do you know why the white gets used up in particular with the regular cleaning?

Thanks in advance

CanuckSigns

thank you! We don't use much of it but we do use it somewhat frequently with small things. The manual says to change it only if you're not going to use the white for 20+ days. Plus it takes an hour to switch over from white to the cleaning cartridge, which isn't very convenient to our work flow. I haven't tried this though, I am only basing it off of what I read online.

Do you know why the white gets used up in particular with the regular cleaning?

Thanks in advance
it gets used up with cleaning just like all the other colours, the machine needs the run a small amount of ink through the heads on a regular basis to keep the ink from drying in the heads and causing the heads to fail, the heads are around $2500 each, so it's in your best interest to keep them clean.

Our S80600 came with white ink, but I've never used it, it's had a cleaning cartridge in it since day 1, between our gerber edge, backing with white vinyl and outsourcing I've never had a need for the white ink on our epson.

mim

0_o
it gets used up with cleaning just like all the other colours, the machine needs the run a small amount of ink through the heads on a regular basis to keep the ink from drying in the heads and causing the heads to fail, the heads are around $2500 each, so it's in your best interest to keep them clean.

Our S80600 came with white ink, but I've never used it, it's had a cleaning cartridge in it since day 1, between our gerber edge, backing with white vinyl and outsourcing I've never had a need for the white ink on our epson.

Yeah I figured the inks got used a bit in the cleaning, I was just surprised white ran out first. One of the main reasons we got the s80600 was so we could use white ink on clear so we are def gonna be using it.

We would have a"white" ink day. Once a week (as necessary) switch to white for jobs requiring white ink.

This is a good idea!

CanuckSigns

We would have a"white" ink day. Once a week (as necessary) switch to white for jobs requiring white ink.
I'm not sure this would be worth it on a weekly basis, the changeover requires re priming the ink lines and print head, you probally use a few hundred ml just doing the swap over

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
...as necessary. We had a surcharge for the white -ink, and we didn't have too many people wanting to pay that. So needless to say, we didn't do a lot of white ink. Maybe we had a white ink day once every 3-6 months. I got the idea when we got the HP scitex with white ink, and our trainer suggested it. That was even more of a pain to switch over - the epson seemed like a breeze in comparison. Now we have the Agfa Annapurna H2500i - and it has white ink all the time. no change over, I can print white whenever I want to. Love it. Still don't use it (white) as much - but I can do 5 layers... perfect for double sided window clings. We've only had this capability for a few months... so when it catches on more, I'll be running more. :)