• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who Are You?

Which Best Describes You?

• Fulltime signmaker with a shop or store.

Votes: 78 30.7%
  • Fulltime signmaker - mobile or work from home.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Parttime signmaker - work from home.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Employed by a sign company.

Votes: 28 11.0%
  • Employed as a signmaker by a non-sign business or government agency.

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Sign product distributor or manufacturer.

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Thinkin' about getting in the business.

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Old-Timer Retired or Semi-Retired

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TC49010

I have an established Embroidery & T-shirt Printing Business I currently run out of my home. I set up at 1-3 day events as well as run it from the internet . My girlfriend does vinyl and said it is sooo easy I should add it!! So here I am ready to learn!! I voted as a part-timer. I am at the point I need to move out of my home into a bigger area, be it take over the garage, build my own small pole barn or set up a store. I am still tossed on which one to do!!:Coffee:
Trixie

scott pagan

i'm a senior production artist and manage our digital printing department at my shop. i have loved creating artworks since i was a child. i started printing (offset) in high school as part of the graphic arts program. followed that up with college for Graphics Arts Management. i then found a good apprenticeship where i'm currently at (it's been 13 yrs now). i was very fortunate to come through my training in school and work, learning much of the traditional "old-school" ways before the computer was so prevelant in printing. using hand art, fixed cameras, darkrooms, setting filmwork/stripping for plates/screens, lens filters for 4color separations, hand pulling screenprint, and even doing some work on old roll press printers. up to today's PhotoShop direct RIP to digital grand format. it's been real fun seeing the technology make it faster and easier to produce great graphics. as well as meeting nice folks like many of the ones here to share experiences and knowledge with.

jenrood

We are new to the sign buisness we bought a plotter to do our own advertising for pressure washing and quickly learned we could make money making signs.:cool1: :cool1:

GregT

I worked in a 2 man sign shop 20 years ago. Moved to another state and joined another sign shop. Left sign shop to work for my father in law, (6 year) in completly different line of work. Left that for something I enjoyed...making signs. Worked out of the house until my wife informed me we needed a change. Now have a shop and 2 sub-contractors working for me. (one is my father in law)

I am a part-time signmaker working out of my home and have a full-time job with benefits. I started in January and love the challenge of learning something new. No where near ready to leave my full-time job, but can't wait until I can. The forum is great...keep up the good work.

Raniece

More than just signs

Family Business, my parents started a small business 28 years ago. Wood working/crafts. From there, many things have changed and we do many, many things at our store/shop. I hope this isn't too long.
We do and have done.
Woodworking, small to medium, cutting little things to building cabinets etc.
Yard signs from wood, cut designs, hand painted, (this is the evenings and weekend part of my job now)
Because I was in band and there was a demand for marching supplies, my mother supplied the necessities because there was not really a place to buy without driving 100 miles to get them. (We still sell band shoes, twirling supplies etc.) Which led to uniforms, etc. (We now have a dancewear dept.)
My parents have bought out 3 other small businesses that couldn't seem to make go of it, and from there, one we started custom framing, (pictures etc.)So we do custom framing also, which is a great business all in itself. second was a dancewear shop that had no one to pass on their legacy to, and we already sold many brands, but we bought this one stores supplies and now have a great contract with a large dancewear distributor, that has very strict ideas as to how many stores can sell their product within 150 miles of each other. third was another craft shop, mainly supplies.

Signage started when hand lettering all of the yard signs started taking up toooooooo much time. The lettering led to decals, and the decals led to fundraisers for the schools that we have been doing business with for years, which led to decorating megaphones with vinyl,plasticore signs from 12x18inch to 4ftx8ft, car magnet, shirts for groups, along with many other clothing items that are decorated with heat applied vinyl. So yes, I think we are a full time sign/everything else under the sun shop.
I knew we did a lot, and looking back over this I can say I have left out a lot. Oh, and working on a webpage, I'll post that when I feel a little more comfortable with the way it looks.
So that is who we are.
Raniece

Craig Sjoquist

heres my 2 cents worth lol ..31 years still hand lettering hope I'll still will be 31 years latter.. home based......THANK YOU & ENJOY LIFE

Geary

Glad this was reserected. It's interesting to see the different populations in the sign business. I'm wondering however, if the "parttime signmaker - work from home" would make those of us who are merely semi-retired look as though it's just a hobby. Not that there's anything wrong with signage for the hobbyist.....it's just that I've put in over 30 hard core years in the trade and would hate to be labelled a "hobbyist". Therefore, I would like to propose an addendum to the list for us 'old-timer-working-mentoring types' ?? :wink:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Geary said:
Glad this was reserected. It's interesting to see the different populations in the sign business. I'm wondering however, if the "parttime signmaker - work from home" would make those of us who are merely semi-retired look as though it's just a hobby. Not that there's anything wrong with signage for the hobbyist.....it's just that I've put in over 30 hard core years in the trade and would hate to be labelled a "hobbyist". Therefore, I would like to propose an addendum to the list for us 'old-timer-working-mentoring types' ?? :wink:

Ask and you shall receive.

THATgirl

I didn't ever answer because I am or have been all of the mentioned except gov. employee or distributor. I have had storefronts...went homebased when my kids were born so I could be a stay at home mommy....then took my kids with me on jobs...then got another shop when they started school full time. Now my kids are all grown up ages 21 and 19.....and I am working at home again. I was sad to leave my shop years ago, but have gotten to like working from home.

Geary

Fred Weiss said:
Ask and you shall receive.

Oh, haha, cool. :cool1: Since I already voted in the other one ("parttime") could you remove that and put my vote in the "Old-Timers" ballot? Pretty please? :thankyou:

:U Rock: Fred!

~OG (OldGear) :tongue:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Geary said:
Oh, haha, cool. :cool1: Since I already voted in the other one ("parttime") could you remove that and put my vote in the "Old-Timers" ballot? Pretty please? :thankyou:

:U Rock: Fred!

~OG (OldGear) :tongue:

Congratulations!!!

You now represent .52% of the poll respondents.

toonsign

Who I am

Hello,

After 10 years in the Marines, I 'retired in '78. Went back to MA and worked in all sorts of manufacturing jobs. In 8/87, I got into sublimation ink heat transfer printing. Still worked 40 hours but did shirts part time.

In 2002 got into pigmented heat transfers and printed shirts and such. In 2004, I purchased my Roland PC-12 and have been working with it, although not full time.

I'm not much in the sales department so I basically wholesale printing via the internet and teach people how to print t-shirts.

I always have worked full time so I guess I'm a part timer who works from home.

Fred

gerald

Full, Full, Full time with a shop. We sell, fabricate and install all kinds of signage. We do a lot of national account work, installs and fabrication and maint. for other sign companies. 11 employees incl. me at this time.

Pro Image

Work 2 full time jobs..........The garage and the graphics. My wife work the graphics full time now..........

Bigdawg

Just Me
Half signs, half screenprinting and half print & web design. Which explains why I am working on Sunday... too many halves!!

Sign One

Full time with storefront shop

I work with my SO/Partner - He has been doing signs since he was a teenager 25+ years, I have been working with him for 10 years, we have a shop on a busy road and a lot of walk-in traffic. We do mostly vinyl work, billboards, signs, vehicle lettering, business cards, house/camp signs hand routed, of course banners jobsites and magnetic signs. We are mom and pop, with a friend who weeds for us- we sub out install to some contractors. The best job I have ever had, we are looking to buy a framhouse with a huge barn and I hope in 10 years to have an awesome shop in the barn and do more wood, sandblasted etc.