• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who wants to help.................................................................

victor bogdanov

I'm a little biased towards AMD, buying up since Lisa Su took over

2222.png

victor bogdanov

Still waiting for more info on this, got a source?
I could see a problem or two coming up with AMD video card drivers, I've had a few that could be blamed on either illustrator or AMD video card drivers but those get fixed pretty quickly with driver updates. NVIDIA not immune to video driver bugs either. The current platform has matured and early bugs are gone

CPU causing issues with Corel/illustrator very unlikely

WildWestDesigns

It's not like it matters, win12 is going to be subscription based, guess I ought to have the latest non sub version.
I would be very surprised if Win 11 doesn't also end up this way towards the end. It's not like subscription based Win OSs are unheard of. I know some do that to get a license for the Enterprise version when they don't qualify for the bulk seat purchase and these are Win 10 seats mind you. Plus we have the doing away of the local accounts (still doable now, but it's getting a little bit harder with each iteration). Why I'm so glad I haven't dealt with the big two OSs for 15 yrs now on bare metal (do still use VMs, but mainly for legacy reasons, even when I cross compile my own programs, I use a cross compile toolchain (I don't deal with Macs at all, otherwise none of this is doable, have to have their hardware (at least to be on the up and up)).

There are some programs, if they depend on hardware acceleration, which most graphic programs do, if nothing else for the canvas object that we do all our "drawing on" that benefit more from Nvidia compared to AMD. Just due to what their drivers are capable of. Would that affect most people here? Probably not, unless we are talking about 3D rendering (and most of those programs are fully real time applications (which means even their UI is immediate mode).

Check Amazon.
I built and repaired PCs for years. I can build a PC no problem. However, I have found prebuilt deals on Amazon that are cheaper than parting out and building yourself. My current water-cooled PC, e.g.
Intel Core i7-13700KF, RTX 4070, 32GB DDR5, 8TB M.2 NVMe, Liquid Cooling, WiFi 6E
Got it prebuilt and shipped for $200 less than parting it out and building myself.

JBurton

Signtologist
Signburst is one that will tune the PC in addition to building, so they don't fall into the same category as other 'pc builders,' and they charge a premium for that service. Not a bad thing, just like getting an oil change at an independent shop vs getting oil, filters, etc. You pay for ASE mechanic service.
Now typical budget pc builders, ibuypower, cyberpower, a ton of others, fall into the walmart oil change category. They will sell you the parts, but some are refurbished, some are not up to spec (memory speed is #1 deception tactic, or unlisted other than size, then they shove 4 4gb in and call it 16gb, which can be good, unless its all mismatched modules), and if they use 4 screws to hold a hdd in, you should go buy some lotto tickets. Not saying it's a bad route, it's just a budget route, and overall, I want to get my hands in a PC again, so here we are.
AMD video card drivers
Well that's a different ball of wax compared to CPU choice, unfortunately I'll probably go with nvidia just for the stability that (should) come with their market share.

victor bogdanov

Well that's a different ball of wax compared to CPU choice, unfortunately I'll probably go with nvidia just for the stability that (should) come with their market share.
Driver issues are common with new generation launches and the problems get resolved overtime. The latest generation for both companies is mature, most bugs gone. Can't go wrong with either one, AMD does give a little more performance per $$$ but can't quite compete in the highest end that's why nvidia is charging 2k for high end gpus

JBurton

Signtologist
that's why nvidia is charging 2k for high end gpus
Well that and market manipulation, waiting for the day they get slapped with some sort of antitrust or monopoly lawsuit, since they've admitted they aren't releasing newest gen products due to glut of stock and reaching market saturation. It'll be a good day to buy some NVDA...

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Still waiting for more info on this, got a source?
Jumped over to the Corel Community forum and asked a friend of mine who often posts about the incompatibility between AMD and CorelDraw. I, myself, haven't any experience with it. We've always had NVidia here at work, as well as, on all my personal pc's. Here's his reply.

"Myron I wish I could pin it down but I have not been able to. What I know is that AMD professors, AMD graphics cards and specifically AMD processors with any shared memory graphics cards. Any high end gaming system also seems to be an issue.

I believe it's a combination of wonky hardware matched with users who think they know computers.

My system was not top of the line 2 1/2 years ago, a Samsung SSD, a Western Digital secondary drive, 64 GB of RAM, an i9 processor and a NVidia I believe GTX graphics card. A tower with a 425 watt power supply and an ASUS main board. Windows 10 Pro, (pro just works better). It's a simple machine but a formula that I used with Draw for over a decade."

unclebun

I think your friend is talking out his a**. He's spreading FUD that he cannot prove and cannot find where it comes from.
Meanwhile, I've used AMD for the entire time I've been doing signs (over 30 years) and have used integrated graphics, separate graphics cards (both nVidia and AMD), all the generations of processors. I build my own computers and have a side business doing that, and have never had anyone come up with a program incompatibility problem using AMD processors either with my computers or the ones I sell and service.

JBurton

Signtologist
IDK guys, intels latest i9 just dropped, and I'm a little f*cked up about it. 6ghz? Yes please. 6ghz/$600 = 10mhz/$1, now to put together a nice line graph explaining what I paid for my AMD slot A and the cost savings of current cpu pricing... Something like 750mhz/$799 = .94ghz/$1!
Reminds me when I was building the same system, perusing HDD's at compusa, and speculating on where the future was going, now that HDD were approaching 1gig/$10...

MikePro

if this is supposed to last you a decade, then definitely shop/build for ddr5

just built my own for ~<$1200, biggest expense was the 4070gfxcard that i got on sale for $650.
huge fan of microcenter as a resource for cheap build parts, or at least baseline price that you can try to shop cheaper elsewhere ....OR just buy one of their prebuilds that popup on slickdeals and you can always add more ram or upgrade gfx card later if the 2000-3000 series they most likely come with doesn't cut it down the line.

biggest pita of building your own from scratch, is bios/OSinstall stuff BUT youtube will usually have a walkthrough for whatever mobo you buy.

edited to add: if you're by chance a macOS diehard designer, then tonymacx86 has builds&tutorials avail for building a hackintosh. Did this two builds ago and loved it but have since converted to the darkside that is windows11.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Burton, since you asked.... I Came into work Monday with two brand new computers at my workstation. I knew I was getting them because doing ANYTHING has been a painful slow process for the past month or so. Wasn't expecting them to be all set-up upon my arrival though so Monday was a very happy day. That said - I know very little about what my boss ordered for me. They are both Dell computers - one is for all of my design software, and the other is for all the RIP software. I'm sorry I can't be more tell-all, all I know is they are Dell, and I have windows 11. Boss did delete a bunch of the Crap that comes with windows... but that's about all I know. If you can tell me where to look on my computer to answer any specifics I'd be happy to. That's all I got.
oh, and he also got me two new displays - they are larger than my old ones, and curved and they are samsung. New key board too. That's a logitech ergonomic key board.