• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who wants to help.................................................................

JBurton

Signtologist
Me build a new computer. My old one is fine, initially installed 10.24.11 though, so I'm stuck on windows 7, and that's leaving me vulnerable evidently. Plus the new window(s) is 'better.' Whatever. This will be my workstation for presumably the next 10 years, probably going to forgo a graphics card, or just move my 1060 over if I need one. Currently eyeing a ryzen 9 7950X, though once I got into motherboards, I realized how far out of the loop I am. Anybody want to recommend some parts for graphic design and minimal 3d cad work? I don't want to say I'll 'spare no expense,' I'm not buying a $1k mobo, but I do want it to be specced beyond my cohorts for a while. Not even married to AMD either.

tbullo

Superunknown
I have a few years old AMD setup at home with a X570 board that enjoy. The cpu you listed I think will run on the X670 board. Haven't looked in a bit, but I bet you could find one in the mid 200 dollar range.

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah, I'm just wanting to make sure I can squeeze every volt out of my memory, as well as throughput on my drives. I bet I'll have a torrent of opinions as soon as I hit checkout...

SignBoi

Me build a new computer. My old one is fine, initially installed 10.24.11 though, so I'm stuck on windows 7, and that's leaving me vulnerable evidently. Plus the new window(s) is 'better.' Whatever. This will be my workstation for presumably the next 10 years, probably going to forgo a graphics card, or just move my 1060 over if I need one. Currently eyeing a ryzen 9 7950X, though once I got into motherboards, I realized how far out of the loop I am. Anybody want to recommend some parts for graphic design and minimal 3d cad work? I don't want to say I'll 'spare no expense,' I'm not buying a $1k mobo, but I do want it to be specced beyond my cohorts for a while. Not even married to AMD either.
Hey JBurton, Check out pcbuilder.net With each hardware choice it narrows down the compatible choices that remain. Plus it just links to amazon for easy checkout. The ryzen 9 7950x with a x670 mobo. Get some (at least 32gb) ddr5 6000mhz ram. Throw in a fast m.2 hard drive and a new power supply. It will come out to around $1500 for at the end of the day. AMD has really improved and is super reliable and powerful these days. For a RIP computer I don't see the benefit of a newer graphics card. the 1060 is fine. Good Luck.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I personally would stay away from AMD. There are some design software (CorelDRAW) that doesn't work well together.

unclebun

I personally would stay away from AMD. There are some design software (CorelDRAW) that doesn't work well together.
Really? I've been using CorelDraw and AMD processors for almost 30 years with no incident whatsoever, using at least every odd numbered version along the way.

unclebun

I'm using Ryzen 7 5800X with 32GB of RAM. It's really not slowed down by much of anything in CorelDraw except for the occasional clipart that contains a million little objects of grunge. My video card is only a Radeon 7700 because I built this system when all the crypto people had bought all the cards. But it seems more than adequate for the task. Check to see what your CAD software will run best with as those programs utilize the video card more.
For the motherboard I'd recommend an Asus "Corporate Stable" model. A fast SSD, the m.2 type that goes right on the motherboard. I use a 500GB one but that's because all my job files are stored on a server.
I still put DVDRW drives in my computers because they are cheap and sometimes you need one. But some people get along without them.

JBurton

Signtologist
I haven't heard anything in the way of AMD not running corel properly, uncertain if I'll ever install another version of corel, as they slaughtered the UI and moved a bunch of things around in the '21 release. Finally found the patches and hotfixes to fix the title menu bar being invisible, which was the only real issue with x6 on win10.
I'm using Ryzen 7 5800X with 32GB of RAM. It's really not slowed down by much of anything in CorelDraw except for the occasional clipart that contains a million little objects of grunge. My video card is only a Radeon 7700 because I built this system when all the crypto people had bought all the cards. But it seems more than adequate for the task. Check to see what your CAD software will run best with as those programs utilize the video card more.
For the motherboard I'd recommend an Asus "Corporate Stable" model. A fast SSD, the m.2 type that goes right on the motherboard. I use a 500GB one but that's because all my job files are stored on a server.
I still put DVDRW drives in my computers because they are cheap and sometimes you need one. But some people get along without them.
Which version of corel and windows are you running?

Also, anybody running win11 on their work machines yet? I'm not familiar enough with win10 to be mad at win11, so I'm considering going with 11 in hopes that I can continue with a 10 year upgrade cycle... Considering the difference in my old and theoretical new pc, they'll have to make some major changes in the next few years to force me to upgrade os's.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yeah you don't need to spend big on mobos unless you need a special setup for dual GPUs or something. Probably unpopular opinion here but that CPU is pretty overkill for graphic design and cad work. Could save some money on the processor and get better monitor or something. 16 cores and 32 threads is nice but I doubt you ever reach high usage percentage on it doing what you're doing.

unclebun

Which version of corel and windows are you running?

Also, anybody running win11 on their work machines yet? I'm not familiar enough with win10 to be mad at win11, so I'm considering going with 11 in hopes that I can continue with a 10 year upgrade cycle... Considering the difference in my old and theoretical new pc, they'll have to make some major changes in the next few years to force me to upgrade os's.
I have the subscription and it just updated this week to the latest version. All the computers here at the shop are on Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7. I use Windows 11 at home and other than some annoying interface things about Windows 11, I don't think performance is any different.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Good points, most of my work is technical (not talking architect level here), once lenses, large bitmaps, and intricate vectors (1k pieces) get introduced, I'm lucky to not have the whole app crash during an autosave.
You're looking at a 10 year build, so I'd suggest a combination that will let you run DDR5 memory - prices are dropping - starting perhaps with a 4x16GB compatability. Quick look suggests most of the MoBo's top out at 192GB. Given that work coming in looks to be memory, and GPU intensive, gives you an upgrade in the future. Having the option of on-board multiple m.2's can't hurt.

JBurton

Signtologist
Yeah you don't need to spend big on mobos unless you need a special setup for dual GPUs or something. Probably unpopular opinion here but that CPU is pretty overkill for graphic design and cad work. Could save some money on the processor and get better monitor or something. 16 cores and 32 threads is nice but I doubt you ever reach high usage percentage on it doing what you're doing.
I appreciate the opinion, and while valid, I want the big dog pc for a week or so. Originally put together in 2011, right after my honeymoon, my current rig still shmacks the win10 machines I've been setting up for the other workstations. I'd very much prefer to not accidentally downgrade with the greater demands of win10 and a tier 2 processor.
I'm wondering if I'd get any benefit out of something with quad m.2 controllers, set in an array, with a 10gbe connection, but now I'm just daydreaming in the $700 mobo arena.
I'd go see what bestbuy has.
They have plenty of bloated garbage. Plus, I miss the glory days of clicking all the color coded legos together!
DDR5 memory - prices are dropping - starting perhaps with a 4x16GB compatability.
Yeah, that's my aim, dang memory really bottomed out after that whole price fixing scandal.
I'm not familiar with modern AMDs, but I have an i9 and the thing almost never lags.
Evidently, AMD is the bees knees right now. I'm open to both at this point. Are you running 10 or 11?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I appreciate the opinion, and while valid, I want the big dog pc for a week or so. Originally put together in 2011, right after my honeymoon, my current rig still shmacks the win10 machines I've been setting up for the other workstations. I'd very much prefer to not accidentally downgrade with the greater demands of win10 and a tier 2 processor.
I'm wondering if I'd get any benefit out of something with quad m.2 controllers, set in an array, with a 10gbe connection, but now I'm just daydreaming in the $700 mobo arena.
I hear ya. When I can afford it, I usually go a little overboard rather than conservative too. My i7 is still going strong!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

They have plenty of bloated garbage. Plus, I miss the glory days of clicking all the color coded legos together!

Yeah, that's my aim, dang memory really bottomed out after that whole price fixing scandal.

Evidently, AMD is the bees knees right now. I'm open to both at this point. Are you running 10 or 11?

11. It's just like 10 but newer. Don't get used to an outdated system, just go with 11

victor bogdanov

Also, anybody running win11 on their work machines yet?
All of my computers are windows 11 now except for the flatbed cutter is on win10. No issued related to win 11.

7950x will be plenty for the next 10 years. My main designs/gaming PC is 7950x and RIP is 5800x.

I'm typing this on a 11 year old 3770k (was 2nd fastest cpu in 2012) PC, one benefit of doing a high end build is it really will last a decade

JBurton

Signtologist
All of my computers are windows 11 now except for the flatbed cutter is on win10. No issued related to win 11.

7950x will be plenty for the next 10 years. My main designs/gaming PC is 7950x and RIP is 5800x.

I'm typing this on a 11 year old 3770k (was 2nd fastest cpu in 2012) PC, one benefit of doing a high end build is it really will last a decade
High five for the 10+ year club! Did you keep that particular one on 7 or go on up to 11?
Also, I'm seeing the 7950x is a power hog, how's it do for heat? Did you watercool or just the chunky piped air tower?
Don't get used to an outdated system
It's not like it matters, win12 is going to be subscription based, guess I ought to have the latest non sub version.

victor bogdanov

High five for the 10+ year club! Did you keep that particular one on 7 or go on up to 11?
Also, I'm seeing the 7950x is a power hog, how's it do for heat? Did you watercool or just the chunky piped air tower?

It's not like it matters, win12 is going to be subscription based, guess I ought to have the latest non sub version.
Forgot that this 3770k pc is on windows 10, don't think 11 is possible due to the TMP security thing that win 11 requires. Win 11 can be set up very close visually to win 10 so hard to tell a difference without digging in

My 7950x has the big noctua cooler NH-D15 , idle Temps are good not much heat . Under full load the cpu hits 95c by design no matter what cooler you have.

You'll rarely be 100% cpu utilization unless you're doing rendering work.