• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why are my heads drying up so fast?

MrSalumi

Hey Everyone. I have an SJ-540 to start with. It used to be that I could let the printer sit idle for a week or maybe a week and a half before I started noticing dropout and bad test prints. These days I am lucky to have the thing sit 2 days before I have to recover the heads by powerfully cleaning them in the service menu.

I run a bulk ink system with Bordeaux inks (which I know some hate, some love)... Could it be old ink perhaps? Change in weather from 50's to 80's? Anything else you can think of?

player

Get new caps.

When they start to fail, or not seal, your heads dry out, and without a good seal the pumps can't pull ink to unclog them.

phototec

I experienced the same problem, I usually can let my printer be idle for a week or so and the head stays good. Two weeks ago, it was idle for a week and I lost 95% of the nozzles.

I spent a lot of time soaking and cleaning the heads to get them back, then I installed n cap tops and the printer sat ide again for a week, however this time the heads were almost perfect. Actually, the print test now looks better then before!

With the new cap tops, there is a total seal and allows the pump to clean the heads.

It worked or me, so I would give it a try!

Let s know how s goes.....

rjssigns

Some third party inks have a more aggressive solvent. This will lead to faster degradation of cap top seals among other things.