• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why Are There So Many HP Latex Printers For Sale?

JamesLam

Possibly I'm uber aware since we have a HP 365 on the floor but it seems that almost daily someone is selling off their HP Latex equipment. And often it is not that old.

What are the reasons behind the sales and what are people replacing them with? Are they upgrading their latex equipment, moving into another technology, or maybe downsizing? Am I over thinking this?

FrankW

Possibly I'm uber aware since we have a HP 365 on the floor but it seems that almost daily someone is selling off their HP Latex equipment. And often it is not that old.

What are the reasons behind the sales and what are people replacing them with? Are they upgrading their latex equipment, moving into another technology, or maybe downsizing? Am I over thinking this?

Because they have a very big market share, around 50% of the market inbetween. There are a lot of devices around. And HP offers since a few months a printer with white.

How long do you imagine latex printers were designed to last?

greysquirrel

I cycle through printers every 3 years. I’m able to sell the lightly used while they have some value and move into something new. Usually another latex.

george paris

I bought a HP 335 and it seems to do the job, although I have a lower volume shop. I couldn't get anything for my older HP L25500/L260 other than selling some of the consumables. HP stopped supporting them, making it a pain to get supplies/parts. The newer latex machines are also a lower price point to purchase, and from what I understand, less problems than the solvent machines. No venting, no inks drying up etc. Finally gave up and gave my old latex machines to an adventurous guy.

JamesLam

Because they have a very big market share, around 50% of the market in between. There are a lot of devices around. And HP offers since a few months a printer with white.

How long do you imagine latex printers were designed to last?
Well, I hang onto stuff forever (to a point). Most of our equipment runs fine, but that's because they're not forced into retirement by bells and whistles like printers and other software dependant devices. Almost anything can be fixed with a little elbow grease and learnin. And I hate waste, particularly when something that can be fixed is prematurely retired and replaced by something shinier.

To be more direct I can't really answer that question because most of the information I received prior to getting into this racquet came from supplies not users. Now that I'm a little more involved I can see more clearly the realistic values and limitations of our HP. Maybe as our volumes increase or we look at the possibilities of other technologies we will replace older units where prudent.

Anyway, despite my quirks, what are the realistic life spans of the HP latex printers?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Run it till it starts asking for smk1. That's about 500k sqft. So 100k a year that's 5 years.
Then dump or run until it's done.

Precision

Talk to your repair man next time he does any kind of service or maintenance on your machine. They'll tell you which make and model they seem to repair least/most.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Talk to your repair man next time he does any kind of service or maintenance on your machine. They'll tell you which make and model they seem to repair least/most.
Rare that one person would service all of the popular brands. It's likely going to be quite biased.

Precision

Your right. I ask my HP Latex repairman which HP machine he thinks is best. He said the 360 is a workhorse. If maintained properly will run until they discontinue producing parts for it. I was quite happy with that answer. Thx.

Ehburls

I'll tell you right now, DO NOT buy the Latex 800W. This printer has been an absolute nightmare. Basically the wheel was not broken, the wheels a perfect invention, HPs engineers didn't think so. I had a 570 that I absolutely loved but the new 800 has made every little thing more difficult. Sure the white Ink and print speeds are great but honestly I bet I waste days in perspective of a year trying to load media and basic functionality because they over complicated processes.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
Run it till it starts asking for smk1. That's about 500k sqft. So 100k a year that's 5 years.
Then dump or run until it's done.
In most cases, by the time you are ready for SMK1, the printer will no longer be supported by HP and it will time for an upgrade. Using a 560 Latex at a location. 3 years old and it's at 47% to an SMK3. I spew 2 rolls of material a week through it mainly IJ680CR white reflective. I've had the trailer cable debacle recently and a pinch roller lever problem. Otherwise, user maintenance is all that is needed.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
In most cases, by the time you are ready for SMK1, the printer will no longer be supported by HP and it will time for an upgrade. Using a 560 Latex at a location. 3 years old and it's at 47% to an SMK3. I spew 2 rolls of material a week through it mainly IJ680CR white reflective. I've had the trailer cable debacle recently and a pinch roller lever problem. Otherwise, user maintenance is all that is needed.
If you are barely using the machine, how is it the manufacturers fault? That 500-series is supposed to be higher use machine anyway. Two rolls a day would be excellent.
You say you are 47% in 3 years that means you have not been doing 2 rolls a week for that time. That would be around 60k sqft a year but I bet your total usage is lower than that on the machine.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
If you are barely using the machine, how is it the manufacturers fault? That 500-series is supposed to be higher use machine anyway. Two rolls a day would be excellent.
You say you are 47% in 3 years that means you have not been doing 2 rolls a week for that time. That would be around 60k sqft a year but I bet your total usage is lower than that on the machine.
I've been doing about 2 rolls a week for the last 6 months, but Im not sure what theyve done the previous 3 years before I signed on. My point was that the owner became over-cautious in doing a SMK-3 when the machine just needed a trailing cable and an FCA board, besides a good cleaning on ink debris and vinyl adhesive. Spending the $675 for the kit and a days labor seemed a bit overzealous when it wasn't needed yet.

darinmcd

Premium Subscriber
I'll tell you right now, DO NOT buy the Latex 800W. This printer has been an absolute nightmare. Basically the wheel was not broken, the wheels a perfect invention, HPs engineers didn't think so. I had a 570 that I absolutely loved but the new 800 has made every little thing more difficult. Sure the white Ink and print speeds are great but honestly I bet I waste days in perspective of a year trying to load media and basic functionality because they over complicated processes.
Loading this machine is a breeze. All you do is put the roll on the reel like any other and once it hits the rollers, it does everything for you. Not to mention print heads are only $100 and they install themselves. I've had all types / brands of machines over the years and this is my favorite.