• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

why is a laser pointer dangerous

Techman

A laser pointer is a very weak laser. It is well below the level that will injure an eye.
However. There are some more powerful pointers that can injure. Yes, their power is weak. Except if that beam goes through a lens. Where are lenses that will amplify that beam?

Think about it.

I just read where an modeler was building his own laser pointer device to zero his cutter and burnt out his eye.

jiarby

I have caught a few "stingers" off my 50w laser engraver... Reflections hitting me in the eye, or just burned out retina from looking at the spot where it is burning, like looking into the sun and seeing red spots.

Lenses just focus the beam to a specific diameter depending on the focal point. I have three lenses on my cutter... a .010 .005 & .001
Replacement lenses are available from engraver manufacturers if you are doing a home brew project.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
While not really called "pointers" there are plenty of handheld lasers available that can cause instant and permanent eye damage. I own a couple myself - a 1 watt (yes a full watt) handheld pointer from Wicked Lasers with a blue ray diode. I also have a few smaller handheld pointers ranging from 50mw up to 600mw. Most above 200mw can near instantly start black plastics smoking, pop ballons, light matches, while the higher powered ones (600mw +) can and will catch things on fire near instantly. I also own somewhat expensive pricey safetey goggles for when they are being used. Those are also very specific to the diodes wavelength. Any above about 10mw can cause eye damage, and ones 50+ can very quickly and easily cause permanent eye damage.

JimJenson

A laser pointer is a very weak laser. It is well below the level that will injure an eye.

Point one of those things at an airplane in flight or on the ground, and you'll get a visit from the FBI.

megacab

this is a forum that i lurk on because i am just getting into lasers. i currently have an 80mw green laser that is alot of fun for the boys and i to play with at dusk. you can see the beam going out as far as you can see up into the sky. it's like a little light saber. very cool devices that can blind or burn you in an instant if you aren't careful.

http://laserpointerforums.com/