• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why this Font is Everywhere

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I wouldn't say Cooper Black is everywhere. If any typeface could be accused of being "everywhere" it's ***king default Arial. For each example in that video of a sign using Cooper Black they could have found 10 or even 100 using Arial. And the type would probably be artificially squeezed and stretched to some degree, just so it could be crammed more tightly into some limited space.

Cooper Black seems very 1970's to me (I saw it a lot in various kinds of advertising when I was a kid). I think it looks better when mixed with some of the lighter weights of Cooper. There are decent alternatives to Cooper Black. New Kansas by Newlyn is a good one.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Noooooooo!
yes.jpg

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I love the ending of that SNL Papyrus sketch, with Ryan Gosling screaming at the graphic designer in the window, "I know what you did! I know what you did!!" Big laugh at the title card.