• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why with these horrible pop ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
wow, what happened.... took me a handful of tries just to get to the last post, full page pop up every move of my mouse. floating shit everywhere....

not cool

mfatty500

Here I thought it was my Google Chrome acting up, I even have pop -ups blocked and it still happens, worse than this morning

ProPDF

I don't know if this helps anyone but I am running firefox on the desktop and safari on mobile and I have no ads besides the normal side top or bottom.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Maybe Signs101 got hacked? I am not seeing any ads on my computer and I have AdBlock Plus turned off.

I AM however getting a notice about this website trying to load scrips from unauthenticated sources and Chrome is blocking it. Maybe that's what all the fuss is over?

EDIT:
I just viewed this site in Internet Explorer and I see what you all are talking about. My years in IT lead me to believe those ads are a hack on this website.

WildWestDesigns

Well there is always this as a full proof method of avoiding adds and not using an ad blocker.

Attachments

• Terminal Browser.png
    Terminal Browser.png
    89 KB · Views: 297

WildWestDesigns

Maybe Signs101 got hacked? I am not seeing any ads on my computer and I have AdBlock Plus turned off.

I AM however getting a notice about this website trying to load scrips from unauthenticated sources and Chrome is blocking it. Maybe that's what all the fuss is over?

If it's coming from the ads, then the vector is more then likely coming from the server that hosts those ads. Which is why I have a problem with 3rd party anything on a site. While the site itself may be secure, doesn't mean that 3rd party server can't be a problem.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If it's coming from the ads, then the vector is more then likely coming from the server that hosts those ads. Which is why I have a problem with 3rd party anything on a site. While the site itself may be secure, doesn't mean that 3rd party server can't be a problem.

I'm willing to bet S101 has a virus or got hacked...the behavior of those ads look scammy to me.

Ya'll try using Chrome, it's a million times safer than IE's crap

WildWestDesigns

I'm willing to bet S101 has a virus or got hacked...the behavior of those ads look scammy to me.

Ya'll try using Chrome, it's a million times safer than IE's crap

While it's possible the site could have been hacked, they don't have to hack this site specifically to get malvertising on here. Only have to hack the source of the ad server.

Chrome has it's own issues. Would rather deal with Chromium (Chrome with the Google telemetry mostly stripped) if I had to go that route. Browses like IE, Safari don't work on my rigs (thankfully).

I will say this, Chrome on Android does have the same ads coming through and it's worse there as the visual real estate is much smaller.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Well... Wow. I was away for a bit of a long weekend and just getting back to my desk. I was not made privy to any changes in the ad server. So I'm not sure why the change. I can say that I tend to agree with the sentiments already shared in this thread as for the ads being a bit obtrusive. I will inquire and report back with my findings.

UPDATE:

As I initially suspected - Signs101Admin is testing some new ad placement configurations.
The site has NOT been hacked or compromised in any way. So no need to worry about that.
It obviously is a bit of a work-in-progress. So we'll appreciate and thank you for your patience as the ad settings are better tweaked.
Thanks,

SignsSupport​

Last edited:

TXFB.INS

I run NoScript on Firefox and uMatrix on Chrome.

would suggest it for EVERY site! otherwise, it is almost unbearable to use the internet.

Like WildWest sated, I am already seeing some site refuse access until you allow ads.
This is the beauty of controlling the scripts, you can select what code is active and still gain access without disabling the security or "whitelisting" the site

Status
Not open for further replies.