• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why with these horrible pop ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please get rid of the pop up bar at the bottom of the screen. This thing pops up every time you change the page. Seems like ads seem to be increasingly prominent on the website. Just about everywhere you can squish something in.

Administrator Update 9:42PM | 02/26/2019:

As I initially suspected - Signs101Admin is testing some new ad placement configurations.
The site has NOT been hacked or compromised in any way. So no need to worry about that.
It obviously is a bit of a work-in-progress. So we'll appreciate and thank you for your patience as the ad settings are better tweaked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
It's one thing to have ads that appear in columns off to the side. Ads that push down in front of the page view or jump out and block it entirely are very annoying. Those kinds of ads incite anger and frustration when they jump up on every page in the site (like one ad I'm seeing now REPEATEDLY). I used to visit the PC Magazine web site frequently but grew so disgusted by their very over-bearing ads that I quit visiting the site. I quit visiting some others, such as Bloomberg news web site for example, when they put up pay walls on almost everything. Gotta strike a balance between making a site easy and pleasant to use versus something that is solely for making ad money.

CanuckSigns

Jesus, I've been running ad blocker plus for about 2 years on this site, I just turned it off to see what all the fuss was about.

It's some of the most obtrusive ads I've seen in quite a while, I'll be keeping the ad blocker active for sure from now on.

WildWestDesigns

Just wait until it gets to the point to where they'll know that your using an ad blocker and won't let site load until you white list it (if non paying member) or have to find a more creative way of blocking the adds to where that little message about having an ad blocker on doesn't even show up.

While I can understand and sympathize with the need for such a revenue stream, considering what can be done with having a 3rd party server generating ads, that can lead to some complications as well (even without the user knowing it (regardless if the device that they are using is protected or not).

Brave new world. At least it better be.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Yeah, I am also getting the full-screen cover-up pop up on EVERY page I go to on this site. Takes forever to finish loading then you have to close it to see the content you just clicked on. I think I'll take a hiatus and try again next week and see if it's gone. The little ad at the bottom is new also but it doesn't completely kill functionality or visibility of the site so I could live with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hahaha................. I just did the same as, Canuck. That's some nasty-crazy sh!t. Not gonna announce I'm leaving, as that never does any good, but for some reason, I guess others don't really care about the site as much as they say they do.

bannertime

I don't turn my blocker off for anyone, so I went ahead and purchased a membership because I did not want to stop. Pretty great place without the ads. When the rare occasion the ads do pop up it's a nightmare. lol.

WildWestDesigns

I don't turn my blocker off for anyone, so I went ahead and purchased a membership because I did not want to stop. Pretty great place without the ads. When the rare occasion the ads do pop up it's a nightmare. lol.

Ads still pop up (doesn't matter to me if it's rare or frequent) even after the purchase of a membership? That's no bueno as to me, part of the perk of a membership is to enjoy a site totally ad free (while supporting said site as well).

bannertime

Ads still pop up (doesn't matter to me if it's rare or frequent) even after the purchase of a membership? That's no bueno as to me, part of the perk of a membership is to enjoy a site totally ad free (while supporting said site as well).

The ads pop up when I load Signs101 faster than uBlock Orgin loads and that's the only time I see them. So I guess a premium member still does have ads.

DerbyCitySignGuy

All jokes aside, it's pretty atrocious and obtrusive. A lot of people are unaware of ad blockers or just don't want to use them. Wouldn't be surprised if the ads drove traffic way down. Had the site been like this when I first joined, I know for certain I would have moved along. Nothing says "serious trade website" like having to close three ads every time you try to view a thread.

WildWestDesigns

The ads pop up when I load Signs101 faster than uBlock Orgin loads and that's the only time I see them. So I guess a premium member still does have ads.

I just checked what was listed benefits with Premium and even a MM account, deactivating ads was not one of them. If a site is going to use 3rd party ad service to generate ads, then when someone purchases some type of membership, that should be a benefit (it's not listed as such, at least not where I looked, so I'm assuming that it doesn't exist, but I could be wrong, but then the above experience shouldn't have happened if that is a perk of a paid membership).

... just don't want to use them.

Given some things that have been known to happen, it's not just about blocking pesky ads. Ads, particularly when they are coming from a 3rd party server, are just yet another vector of malicious (and this can be from benign to really really bad). And this can be bad regardless if the computer viewing the ad has protection on it beyond just a very alert user.

particleman

I know you want to monetize your site, but the full screen ads are just too much in my opinion. Maybe for non logged in or unregistered users? I think this will ultimately hurt the site. I speak as someone who has owned and operated forums myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.