• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wide Format Printer Reviews

Dennis Schaub

I'm sure this has been discussed here, but I am looking for a solid list of solid reviews for wide format printers. Most of what I am finding on google, are suppliers selling their printers. Looking for a good unbiased list.

Thank You!

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
It's not something you're going to find.

All you can do is list the printers you're interested in, and people here will either give you their experience with them or their personal opinion.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Even reviews on here will be biased... owners usually want to believe that the equipment they bought is superior to whatever they don't own.
You'll need to read a lot and weigh it all up according to your circumstances. I strongly suggest you approaching manufacturers/resellers with your own files, getting prints done and judging from the results.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've tried to navigate this also. It seems you get the best results by narrowing it down to a couple printers and letting people comment on those machines. Also, look back on posts there was just a lively one last month with lots of great comments. Here is a good string on Print and Cut...https://www.signs101.com/threads/time-for-a-new-printer.164216/

Last edited:

rjssigns

I'm sure this has been discussed here, but I am looking for a solid list of solid reviews for wide format printers. Most of what I am finding on google, are suppliers selling their printers. Looking for a good unbiased list.

Thank You!
Depends on what you need the printer to do. Extremely small text, crisp graphics, high production, hit Pantone colors consistently, accurate panel lengths, have repair panels match..?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well I sell just about every printer and 95% of the time it ends with an HP Latex. Need to know your budget and your applications you are going to be doing and I can give you the pros and cons to what ever.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well I sell just about every printer and 95% of the time it ends with an HP Latex. Need to know your budget and your applications you are going to be doing and I can give you the pros and cons to what ever.
Lets be real here, maybe you sell them the Latex but how many brands do you really sell?

I doubt you have them all....Canon, Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland, HP, SwissQ, Ricoh etc. I think you get my point.

They would be out of business if they only had 5% of market.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Lets be real here, maybe you sell them the Latex but how many brands do you really sell?

I doubt you have them all....Canon, Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland, HP, SwissQ, Ricoh etc. I think you get my point.

They would be out of business if they only had 5% of market.
I am only one person so this is just my reality. I didn't say I had them all, I do have access to ALL you listed and then some like Epson, Aleph, DGen, and Dimense. My point is, no one is a bigger nerd for what we do and if you are going to buy a piece of equipment, you should talk to guys like me and see if any of my info can help.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's sort of like the UPS/FedEx debate. Whoever wronged you last is the worst supplier. For every brand, I could find someone who thinks they're junk and someone who thinks they are the best. Your better bet would be to research the technologies and see which one works best for you. All of the name brands make commercial quality printers but they all have pros and cons. See my opinion below although I invite anyone to criticize it.

Solvent Pros: Great outdoor durability, proven tech that has been used for decades, depending on use and maintenance they last 5 - 10+ years. Heads are meant to last and usually get 3-5 years out of them.

Solvent Cons: The inks are toxic, some jobs require out gassing before laminating, inks dry faster so are more susceptible to head clogging, the ink attacks the vinyl which can cause edge curling, limited to roll to roll although there are hybrid solvent flatbeds out there, they are bad.

Latex Pros: Non-toxic ink, heads are easy to replace, no out gassing so you can laminate immediately, relatively cheap machines, water based ink doesn't clog as much and is easier to recover.

Latex Cons: Color consistency seems to be an issue, heads fail much more often and are a consumable, uses a lot of heat and therefor a lot of power, more disposable than a solvent.

UV Pros: No heat or out gassing, no edge curling, can be setup in roll to roll or flatbed configurations, many more applications than solvent or latex roll to rolls, water based ink clogs less.

UV Cons: Raised/textured finish requires special laminate or heat assist laminator, inks have a short shelf life so must be used faster, new technology and therefor more expensive, parts and tech service tend to be more as well due to the nature of the machines