• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will Graphtec FC7000MK2-130 cut diamond grade vinyl?

nbrand129

Hello, all-

I work for a state agency, and we're looking at buying a Graphtec FC7000MK2-130 plotter for our sign shop. I need it almost exclusively to cut high-intensity reflective and diamond-grade vinyl.

The literature I have says the machine will do it. Is there anyone that can give me some feedback on their experience with this plotter - good or bad? Also, I'd really like to see this machine in person. If you have one and are in the Albany, NY area I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!

-Nicole

Matt Cuellar

The 7000 is the plotter of choice for most DOT facilities. The most important thing is if you either go out to bid or with a local dealer, specify on your bid request that the dealer include the extra pinch rollers to ensure that it'll handle diamond-grade material, otherwise it can be more of a hassle. Our company has done SEVERAL 7000 installations for DOT in Hawaii, Kansas, and Nebraska and all the facilities have had tremendous success. I will also say though, depending on your budget, it's hard not to look at a Summa as well. It's quite an impressive machine in its own right. Good luck!

Jim Doggett

The Graphtec is indeed the cutter for diamiond grade; Summa cuts reflective, but not the diamond grade, as I seem to recall (I was formerly with Summa).

Be sure to get assurance from whomever you buy the cutter that it will in fact cut diamond grade -- make them add that statement on the invoice, so you'll have recourse if it doesn't perform.

Good cutting,

Jim

dclet

Summa cuts reflective, but not the diamond grade

come now Jim, I know you do not work for summa anymore but I have put diamond grade through my summa without issue...:)

Jim Doggett

come now Jim, I know you do not work for summa anymore but I have put diamond grade through my summa without issue...:)

Hi DC,

I'm not beating up on an old friend, just recalling what was said to me when I worked for Summa. I really don't think they recommend their cutters for diamond grade. Folks can (and will) cut darn near anything they can put in a plotter. But that's separate from what's recommended by the cutter maker.

Best,

Jim

uneedasign

The answer is not that simple. High Intensity Reflective, as well as Diamond Grade work with encapsulated lenses. When you cut those lenses, the lose their reflective quality. The only proper way to cut those types of reflective materials is with a hot tip cutter. The hot tip re-seals the lens as it cuts.