• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will the real DeSoto please stand up.....

How long ago was this? Do people not improve? Does this illustrate how well the install was actually done? Who did the design? His company but was it Sergio? Many variables here.

Very true.. I'm sure if we all post stuff from our early days or heck even years ago.. We would all be laugh at.

Mason

How long ago was this? Do people not improve? Does this illustrate how well the install was actually done? Who did the design? His company but was it Sergio? Many variables here.

Check the link, "Sergio Soto", Its either a typo on the sites owner or it aint him

Mason

uhm Mason that was his company...it's him.

Dan,
luv ya man, but it looks (at least from here) that you have an issue with Sergio which transcends this topic of discussion and its bleeding over into what otherwise seems like a good idea that would only benefit us all in the end.

i appreciate that Mason and yes i do have issues.

as anyone knows i am all for the implementation of industry standards and qualifications...i simply do not think sergio should have any part of any of it other than being another individual who takes the test... he has mettled enough and if anything it has only caused further confusion and taken the whole process in a backwards direction.

i think he is a hell of a salesman he has sold himself repeatedly...but i can't swallow the marketing genius pill.

my other issue is of him as this self professed industry leader when again in my opinion he isnt the best of the best...there are many incredible installers, there are many incredible designers, again in my opinion sergio is a good salesman and there isnt a damn thing wrong with being a great salesman hell many ppl in this industry need sales training...but myself i'm not taking my design advice etc from great salesmen...that's just me.

Mason

i appreciate that Mason and yes i do have issues.

as anyone knows i am all for the implementation of industry standards and qualifications...i simply do not think sergio should have any part of any of it other than being another individual who takes the test... he has mettled enough and if anything it has only caused further confusion and taken the whole process in a backwards direction.

i think he is a hell of a salesman he has sold himself repeatedly...but i can't swallow the marketing genius pill.

my other issue is of him as this self professed industry leader when again in my opinion he isnt the best of the best...there are many incredible installers, there are many incredible designers, again in my opinion sergio is a good salesman and there isnt a damn thing wrong with being a great salesman hell many ppl in this industry need sales training...but myself i'm not taking my design advice etc from great salesmen...that's just me.

Okay, At least we (I) know where you stand, I appreciate and respect your honesty on the matter.

Craig Sjoquist

...Welcome to a outstanding forum and people
I for one been moaning and groaning about the sign industry needs certification for the last 30 years, and now it has turned to mainly print & wraps I get a big laugh as prices seem to fall hurting those that really are concerned and do there best, cause I've been dealing with that since 1985 when anybody can buy a machine and they is a sign shop, with no advertising education much less signs and still it seems to get worse.
As far as UASG & Lowen never heard of them but glad they are doing whatever sounds great for the industry and future.
Best of success to ya and the industry as a whole..

kstompaint

Industry certification? It certainly couldn't be enforced unless the feds say you gotta be before you can buy a printer. A Lowen, SGIA or Fellers certification wouldn't mean jack to anybody who walks through the door at my shop. You're only as good as your last job and that speaks for you.

We've already done wraps for people who had them done elsewhere (I'm sure it was cheaper) and it basically fell off. So now they come to us and not to the guy who's wrap fell off. As long as our jobs are satisfactory, we're certified to the degree that the customer cares about, and he'll send referrals.

CES020

Welcome Sergio. I don't know you from apple butter, but I wish you nothing but the best. I hope you'll ignore those who could find fault in anything anyone else does, period, and join us more often. Despite the few vocal threads that give you the impression of what this place thinks of you, it's probably the silent majority that welcome you with open arms and hope you'll contribute to helping many who would love the opportunity to learn from you.

John L

A wrinkled wrap with golf ball sized zits - well designed - will outsell the smoothest, most seamfree, most well adhered off-camber crap layout that I mostly see rolling down the road.

Sounds like the certification program is maybe not aimed at the proper target.

But don't listen to me, I pretty much hate all wraps.

ProWraps

A wrinkled wrap with golf ball sized zits - well designed - will outsell the smoothest, most seamfree, most well adhered off-camber crap layout that I mostly see rolling down the road.

Sounds like the certification program is maybe not aimed at the proper target.

But don't listen to me, I pretty much hate all wraps.

not necessarily. our customers expect a level of installation quality that plays heavily on our product. not to mention the ability to install without damaging a vehicles paint job is very important. but i get your point. design is absolutley crucial.

Border

Yes, That's very interesting, indeed.
As Gino said, He had two? 3M certified installers who were crap and another non-certified guy who is great. No?
Obviously, being able to market your shop as having certified installers with a warranty on the installation is a big plus. BUT...does the certification guarantee a good installer?
Do the people running these certification courses have the balls to fail someone when they or the shop they work for spent the big bucks for the course.
Hard numbers to answer this question would be great.
How many have been through the program(s) in question, and of that number, how many have went home WITHOUT a certification?

ProWraps

like i mentioned before, the certification to me only means something if im looking to hire an installer to do an install for me. as far as the customer, they dont seem to care or ask. but again, it is very helpful when we look for installers to handle jobs outside our area.