• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will the real DeSoto please stand up.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome back. :thumb:

I hear what you're saying.... about being new here...... but I do remember you being here before. In fact, we had some conversations back and forth which I haven't forgotten and still intend to take you up on.... your original offer.

As Dan has put it.... I don't see a way to disagree with you without an argument. Most of what you've stated is one side of a story.... your side. You have what it takes to be a spokesman for someone, but you've hopped around so much lately.... I can't find a way to see all of these theories and plans working and not working until I see the facts from the other points of view.

All this slapping each other on the back stuff is all fine and good, but it doesn't make me feel any easier that you're saying it and we're just supposed to gobble it all up. It is, after all, like you said business and money... and we all know what walks and what talks when those two variables come face to face.

I wholeheartedly agree, this industry needs to get some foundations or standards going, but not just from one small aspect of the industry. Broaden your scope a little there Serg and include the LED's, the sandblasting, neon bending, pricing, trade show displays, quoting and other much needed skills such as designing and knowledge of one's own trade. To focus just on wraps is a little odd.... unless you don't understand the need across the board.

With your agenda, it sounds to me, unless one is certified, you want any shop without certification to eventually not be able to purchase the materials or perhaps even the equipment to do wraps. Therefore impounding on what shops can and can not do based on a industry certification act.

No one is doubting anyone else's ability to do wraps. The customer is who needs to make that decision and however a shop wants to sell themselves... well, that will come back to bite them and make it easier for those shops that do well in that particular area.

Whenever I see a bad designs or a bad installation , I cringe a little.... but that can't stop me or anyone else from making a living, just because they aren't up to your or some industry level. We all work at our comfort zone and try to rise above the bar you mentioned. That will only happen from classes to help educate and experience, not from a three day course that costs too much.

We had two people working for us over the years... both of whom were 3M certified and the one girl even had an extended advanced extra two day course. She couldn't do squat. She was terrible. We had to let her go because she simply couldn't do anything. So much for 3M certification. The other guy was Okay, but nothing to write home about.

We have another part-timer that comes in from time to time to help us and he's terrific... and in all areas I might add. It's a distance thing with him or we'd offer him a full time job.

So two out of three were bad news..... can you tell me why.

TheSellOut

Welcome Sergio!! I love how you turned Frank from a "Howdy Dudey" cowboy to a "Bad A$$" one. Good Luck in your new career at Arizona!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Certification?

I want to know if your the kind of guy who likes a bowl of menudo.

Cappy is welcome back when he starts acting like a man...

3dsignco

Welcome Sergio, Feel the love.

Now if they could only institute a plotter and Design certification. Like Jill Said.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Welcome Sergio, Feel the love.

Now if they could only institute a plotter and Design certification. Like Jill Said.

You got a point there Judge. :ROFLMAO:

I personally think there's a crying demand for some kind of peer certification for the craft of sign making which would include vehicle decoration in all its forms.

paul luszcz

I agree with Fred. I have no interest in personally being certified to install anything, but would welcome the ability to hire certified installers and present them as such to my customers.

But, no offense, who the heck is Lowen and why should I care?

For certification to matter, it has to be some reasonably influential group or company. 3M Certified sounds good, a prominent trade organization might work, but Lowen? Will my customers care if even I don't?

Billct2

Welcome Sergio and it's good to hear a few sides of the debate.
As for Lowen I get the impression they would like to be the Walmart of the sign industry (not meaning the cheapest, but the biggest, most pervasive (invasive)sign company in the country)

iSign

Must have been three years ago now! I now I have an old "Ameriban" (pre-Fellers) catalog around here somewhere...I'll post a pic if I can find it!

you're serious??
...you really didn't get that?

B Snyder doesn't need you to scan any old catalogues... please...
the point is nothing really changed... a howdy-doody cowboy in diamondplate & black leather... isn't any more badass than before... he's jus howdydoody in diamondplate :rolleyes: