• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Frosting (Application)

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I prefer Metamark frosting. I have used Avery and 3M, and found them expensive and tougher to use.
I keep a 50m roll of Metamark on hand.
However, if putting it on as a whole sheet, I use no app tape - just wet the frost, the glass, and plonk it on, slide it square, and squeegee the slippery water out. I use an app fluid with a bit of glycerine that works really well.

If using app tape because parts have been plotted, I prefer to come back the next day to remove the app tape.
That can be a pain if travel is 1-3 hours, but it saves heartache.

OK I've DONE IT. thanks all for the advice. On the whole happy with how it went. Now I've just got to get all the water bubbles out. tiny pin hole? not ideal I know but I can't think of many other options. Obviously where I can I have I push out to the edge (with a felt tipped squeegee) but there is a lot where its just two far from the edge of the film to do this. Any thoughts. Maybe the smaller ones will come in out in time?. thanks Simon

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Bubbles?

Strip the frosting off throw it away, and do it afresh - with more experience and no bubbles this time. None. You can't leave them there to be popped.
I use an application fluid with a whisker of glycerine in it that works well - slippery but not frothy.

bigben

8510 installs very easily, especially wet. It's a thicker material so it's a little easier to handle. As mentioned, apply transfer tape over the cut logo portion, no need to mask the whole sheet (see photos). As soon as you have the whole piece applied, squeegee the logo portion pretty firmly to get as much application fluid out as you can. Then spray the transfer tape with your application fluid and rub it in with your hand. Let it soak while you trim the vinyl, get bubbles out, etc. Spray the transfer tape again, rub it in, start cleaning your tools/area up. Spray it again, rub it in, go to the restroom. Half kidding on the last part, but at that point you should be able to carefully remove the transfer tape from the logo. Peel the transfer tape back against itself, keeping it flat against the glass.

That is a nice pole setup for the laser. Where did you get this?

The bubbles should be removed when first applying. The longer you wait, the less chance you'll be able to cleanly remove them.

No pics to share...?
bugger! I might have to do again. It was 3 days ago I did. For some reason I was thinking it was like air realise vinyl.

All liquid needs to be removed! did you use a home made formula?
Yes, but mixed carefully ( percentages as recommened by "Oracal") baby shampoo and Isopropyl alcohol. Sort of resigned now to having to redo. I guess this is how you learn.
Give me a Heidelberg 5col offset press anyday :)

Attachments

• window film blemish 1.jpg
    window film blemish 1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Window film problem.jpg
    Window film problem.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 123

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Wasn't squeegeed hard enough. Gotta squeegee all of that out from the get go, it won't come out now. It should definitely be redone.

DeadDoc

I'm getting a panic attack just remembering about one of these two weeks ago. It had to recess into all 4 edges of the frame with a cutout in the center! AHHH!!!!! It took me forever, also had to use liquid on an air-release material (no other left in stock). Took my dear time to not crease a section when having to move it around. The fourth time was a charm but no complaints! Mind you my training has all been self-taught outside of a couple of basic things. Assisted a few museum expo pieces (prior to being fully employed) and you get thrown into the pit of doom as I call it here at work. :D