• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window graphics

FLAGLOFT

Hello,
i am installing window graphics for a customer and it is a temporary install so i am using a 6 mil removable vinyl. The problem i am running into is that there are long bubbles forming in the middle of the print and also where ever there is dark ink on the edge it tends to peel back. And the other factor i am working with here is that it is between 15 and 25 degrees outside when installing. Is there a different material that i should be using to install in cold? I am using media1 m1googr removable calendered vinyl.

MikePro

wet install in these temps, you're asking for failure.
rapidtac has a cold weather formula, but I always install dry in winter time...

FLAGLOFT

I was thinking the same thing about doing a wet install in the cold but we where in a hurry late on a friday and just getting it done fast, my fault. But thank you all for the input, i am gonna head down there here soon with a new print and install it dry this time.

splizaat

wet install in these temps, you're asking for failure.

I disagree. RapidTacII is a miracle product for wet installs in the cold. As long as you clean the window EXTREMELY good, TWICE, then install wet with RTII it'll stick every time.

Make sure your temporary vinyl isn't a WATER-based adhesive....some vinyl can't be installed wet.

It may be curling on the edges if you cut it too soon after printing? Not familiar with that vinyl, but try printing with registration marks, waiting a day or two, then running it back through for cutting.

PS -- We don't do installs unless it's AT LEAST 40-45 degrees and I know many shops follow a similar approach.

HulkSmash

I disagree. RapidTacII is a miracle product for wet installs in the cold. As long as you clean the window EXTREMELY good, TWICE, then install wet with RTII it'll stick every time.

Make sure your temporary vinyl isn't a WATER-based adhesive....some vinyl can't be installed wet.

It may be curling on the edges if you cut it too soon after printing? Not familiar with that vinyl, but try printing with registration marks, waiting a day or two, then running it back through for cutting.

PS -- We don't do installs unless it's AT LEAST 40-45 degrees and I know many shops follow a similar approach.

uhhh no. You're saying you don't install all winter?

Biker Scout

I don't do wet installs anymore either. I have several "Big Squeegees" and many more that I've made myself. As long as they are as large as the graphic and the window, you can be in and out in less than an hour on even a big job (20+ Windows) Seriously... I don't know why you'd want to use any other method. Works on perf too.

FelixCG

It may be curling on the edges if you cut it too soon after printing? Not familiar with that vinyl, but try printing with registration marks, waiting a day or two, then running it back through for cutting..

^Agreed
I've found that whenever I cut anything too early, the edges curl up where there is more ink. Although I could be wrong about this, I've always assumed it was from the ink air drying a little more. I always leave my prints to "dry" overnight and this usually prevents the edges from curling... in my experience anyways.

rainbowdigital

what to use to make big squeegees

I don't do wet installs anymore either. I have several "Big Squeegees" and many more that I've made myself. As long as they are as large as the graphic and the window, you can be in and out in less than an hour on even a big job (20+ Windows) Seriously... I don't know why you'd want to use any other method. Works on perf too.

What are you making squeegees out of? Please let me know!