• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window perf lifting in corners... solutions?

gnubler

edge seal strips are just clear laminate cut down to rolls, nothing fancy. vinyl strips will work too, you're just capping the "fingers" of trimmed perforated vinyl that will be the first things to start peeling-away over time.
I have some rolls of clear gloss and matte edge tape. Just wondering if black vinyl strips might look nicer. Someone mentioned elsewhere in the thread that the clear strips sometimes stand out and don't look good.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Somewhere on the forum someone posted that they had wrapped windows in black vinyl and one or more of them cracked/shattered from getting too hot. I know that's not what's happening here, but if this ends up being a redo should I suggest to the customer to not go with solid black again, in addition to using a cast vinyl?
I wrapped a bunch of windows for a Toyota dealership in TX with 100% black vinyl. Two years since and no cracked windows. That is a myth. I've applied graphics to tinted windows before and they get HOT. Glass cracks when there is a big change in temp in a short period of time. My brother in law that helps me with installs works at a glass manufacturing company. He regulated the temperature of the furnace.. it's 1000 degrees in there and glass doesn't crack.

JBurton

Signtologist
Two years since and no cracked windows.
In the interest of dragging the debate up and around again, I think it tends to happen when folks aggressively apply the vinyl well over the rubber gasket. If it stays, then as the window and frame expand and contract away from one another, the vinyl compromises the rubber in a way that keeps the glass from 'slipping' in the gasket. So not like the vinyl and temp differences are the problem, it's the vinyl causing the glass to bind and self destruct.
But I really have no clue, I've covered windows before, nobody's come after me for glass repairs, though I stay off the rubber just for the sake of keeping the edges from collecting dirt.

gnubler

I wrapped a bunch of windows for a Toyota dealership in TX with 100% black vinyl. Two years since and no cracked windows. That is a myth. I've applied graphics to tinted windows before and they get HOT. Glass cracks when there is a big change in temp in a short period of time. My brother in law that helps me with installs works at a glass manufacturing company. He regulated the temperature of the furnace.. it's 1000 degrees in there and glass doesn't crack.
Encouraging news. I know this was a recent topic on the forum, and not a week later I got a window job in with full coverage, lots of black. It's a redo of some failing vinyl and I'm going to use perf this time, trimming 1/4" from the gaskets to edge seal. The old stuff has been up there for 4 years and no glass cracking, so I decided to go for it.

gnubler

The job is done, I used laminated perf with clear edge seal all around.

Took me 7-8 hours to do all the windows and I felt like I had been in a knockdown fight afterwards. Those on-the-ground small windows are a killer! Crouched down trying to trim straight lines...not easy. It was like a paid yoga session.

JBurton

Signtologist