• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window perf lifting in corners... solutions?

LarryB

To eliminate liftup you can remove the rubber gaskets and install edge to edge then reinstall gaskets on top of film. You will need a special tool to lift up gaskets.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
To eliminate liftup you can remove the rubber gaskets and install edge to edge then reinstall gaskets on top of film. You will need a special tool to lift up gaskets.
but then you would be breaking the seal - which is bad for the integrity of the windows. I would not recommend lifting the seal, or cutting into the seal.

Eforcer

Interesting idea, but isn't it a PIA to remove?
We had an account B4 Covid where we changed out graphics, every three months. The only time removal was a pain was when the temperature dropped. We always carried a heat gun to help with the removal.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have not had this issue but I'm glad I read this. I'm going to double check a couple of my window installs this weekend and do this going forward! Always something to learn!

gnubler

but then you would be breaking the seal - which is bad for the integrity of the windows. I would not recommend lifting the seal, or cutting into the seal.
Yes, that sounds like a huge liability. What could possibly go wrong!

2B

post heat and edge seal tape

We have tried VHB in the corners IMO it looks tacky when viewing from the inside out and seeing the square of tape.

gnubler

I checked out the peeling vinyl yesterday. It's all 3M IJ35C laminated and was installed by another shop in 2019. Nearly every window is starting to peel in the corners, mostly at the bottoms, and one in particular is all peeled up along the bottom and warped by the elements. Even the sign up on the building is starting to peel along the top edge. This seems like a material defect and not an installation mishap - what do you think? The windows face east.

20211027_155533.jpg 20211027_155541.jpg 20211027_155620.jpg 20211027_155658.jpg 20211027_155836.jpg

signheremd

I checked out the peeling vinyl yesterday. It's all 3M IJ35C laminated and was installed by another shop in 2019. Nearly every window is starting to peel in the corners, mostly at the bottoms, and one in particular is all peeled up along the bottom and warped by the elements. Even the sign up on the building is starting to peel along the top edge. This seems like a material defect and not an installation mishap - what do you think? The windows face east.

View attachment 156129 View attachment 156130 View attachment 156131 View attachment 156132 View attachment 156133
That is a five year calendared intermediate vinyl. Full sun plus lots of black printing equals high temperature which challenges both the vinyl and the adhesive. Calendared films are created using beads of plastic - the elastic memory of the material is such that it wants return to is original shape, thus as it ages it can curl. This application should have used a premium cast vinyl.

2B

That is a five year calendared intermediate vinyl. Full sun plus lots of black printing equals high temperature which challenges both the vinyl and the adhesive. Calendared films are created using beads of plastic - the elastic memory of the material is such that it wants return to is original shape, thus as it ages it can curl. This application should have used a premium cast vinyl.

Agreed that Cast is best for this
if the budget doesn't allow for Cast, at the VERY LEAST
1. do a white border, NO FULL BLEEDS with Calendar
2. Use a CAST LAM on the calendar print

the sign could have been done CAL on CAL, but you MUST edge wrap the material.

NOTE: that sign install could really look better, seeing the anchor bolts and fender washer looks cheap.
next time print some "patches" to cover the installation hardware or take a rattle can of paint and paint the hardware BEFORE install

gnubler

We said the same thing when we saw the bolts, it looks terrible. This is what happens when customers install their own signs.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've seen worse from sign companies.. Last sign I was on had three different sized bolts for the same frame... extra trips down with the bucket. I guess they just scooped up whatever bots were floating around in the truck.

gnubler

Somewhere on the forum someone posted that they had wrapped windows in black vinyl and one or more of them cracked/shattered from getting too hot. I know that's not what's happening here, but if this ends up being a redo should I suggest to the customer to not go with solid black again, in addition to using a cast vinyl?

signrios

if its a new store front, i usually remove the rubber gaskets, apply the perf and re-install the gaskets. works every time,
i also use the 3m clear tape

Tim de Beir

I have had that problem once, when tried to save money on the laminate! Use only optical clear cast laminate and you won’t have that problem… We trim down the vinyl the with of out blue Avery squeezee btw nothing more! We always use the orajet 3676 and oraguard 297gf laminate. Even have shop Windows with +4 years now and still looks good

gnubler

View attachment 156129 View attachment 156130 View attachment 156131 View attachment 156132 View attachment 156133

This finally became a job. I originally quoted it on cast vinyl after the discussion we had in this thread, but the customer is open to perforated which I would prefer because it's easier to install. Going to apply clear edge seal tape around all edges. Was wondering if anyone ever uses strips of cast vinyl as edge seal? For the panels that are black, using black edge seal might look nicer.

MikePro

edge seal strips are just clear laminate cut down to rolls, nothing fancy. vinyl strips will work too, you're just capping the "fingers" of trimmed perforated vinyl that will be the first things to start peeling-away over time.

Aaron Hunter

Looking over your pictures, it looks more like a prep failure. The installers didn't clean the area well enough and basically applied to dirt. As water built up on the lower ledge + calendared vinyl returning to shape = failure. For the building sign..no clue other than didn't prep the aluminum well enough?