• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf Rolling Itself Off

Squared2002

Sort a weird issue, we Laminated some Window Perf for Windows on a Van and 2 days after Installation noticed all the Windows that had Perf were rolling themselves back off! We did a second can and no issues, same material, same Installer. After talking to my guys we discovered that the Van that is failing was Laminated at about 119* when they should and typically run them around 80*. The second Van that is not failing was Laminated at 80*. Here is my question, typically in the past when a Graphic is trying to roll itself off it has been too much tension during Lamination, could our issue be simply caused from the difference in Laminating Temperature? Perf was Laminated to hopefully last longer in Las Vegas.

Attachments

• 9F170ADB-5C0A-4CBF-8BB6-3EA3A74F4640.jpeg
    9F170ADB-5C0A-4CBF-8BB6-3EA3A74F4640.jpeg
    891.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 65FA3B2F-AE8E-42A4-AC5D-9906D2FE9634.jpeg
    65FA3B2F-AE8E-42A4-AC5D-9906D2FE9634.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 191

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Sort a weird issue, we Laminated some Window Perf for Windows on a Van and 2 days after Installation noticed all the Windows that had Perf were rolling themselves back off! We did a second can and no issues, same material, same Installer. After talking to my guys we discovered that the Van that is failing was Laminated at about 119* when they should and typically run them around 80*. The second Van that is not failing was Laminated at 80*. Here is my question, typically in the past when a Graphic is trying to roll itself off it has been too much tension during Lamination, could our issue be simply caused from the difference in Laminating Temperature? Perf was Laminated to hopefully last longer in Las Vegas.
We are re-doing a van right now with this exact issue. We are putting new graphics on, cutting back the perf about 1/4” and using seal tape all around. I am convinced that if you don’t use seal tape on window perf, you are risking failure.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
What perf/lam are you using? This can definitely be caused by having too much tension on the laminator.

The tack is so low on perf that it doesn't take much for it to fail along the edges like that.

2B

We are seeing this more often with newer glass or glass that has been treated, rain-x or a like coating

We edge wrap with optically clear lamination strips, or we use an edge seal pen

Last edited:
We are seeing this more often with newer glass or glass that has been treated, rain-x or a like coating

Do you mean you wrap the perf around the edge too? Or perf up to the edge and then wrap lam around the edge?

I could definitely see the temperature difference causing this. The higher temp allowed the laminator to stretch it as it was applied, after installation it wanted to shrink back to what it was and peeled the edges up.

BigNate

the silicone in hydrophobic coatings such as Rain-X or newer "clear coat" washes (from the car wash or even the newer 'ceramic' sprays) will negatively impact adhesion. Make sure these are either not used, or are removed before applying any adhesive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Back in the late 70's I took on a side gig to supplement my income and rain-X was a huge seller. Only one thing, it would wear off after about 3 or 4 months. We talked to the manufactures and back then there really wasn't anything that could remove it completely. About the only thing is lotsa elbow grease and vinegar. Now, I understand rain-X makes its own rain-X remover. just like rapid tac makes it own remover. Never tried it, so I don't know.

BigNate

Back in the late 70's I took on a side gig to supplement my income and rain-X was a huge seller. Only one thing, it would wear off after about 3 or 4 months. We talked to the manufactures and back then there really wasn't anything that could remove it completely. About the only thing is lotsa elbow grease and vinegar. Now, I understand rain-X makes its own rain-X remover. just like rapid tac makes it own remover. Never tried it, so I don't know.

I agree the silicone coatings can be very difficult to remove. I am pretty sure acetone would work to remove Rain-X from glass, but do not get it on the paint!

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
If I don't trim the perf back at least 1/8" and use optically clear strips on the perimeter, I found that the material would lift after a few weeks, and if on tinted vinyl, fail in only a few days due to the heat from the darker tint that's reflecting. In most cases, I'll suggest NOT to use window perf due to the various problems that can occur.

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
I always used to use 3M 94 Primer around the outside edges or along the overlapping seam. We use that religiously on all window perf installs.