• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Window Perf

Sign_Boy

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I just installed some perf today on an interior vestibule window. Unfortunately the interior lighting is much brighter than the lighting on the side with the graphic making it so you can still see through the perf. (see attached image to see what I'm talking about). I'm thinking I can install tint on the second surface of the window to help diffuse the lighting and fix this issue. Has anyone here experienced this before and if so how did you fix it if at all. Thanks for any info / help you can provide.

:supersmilie:

Attachments

• Perf.jpg
    Perf.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 136

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya probably should use a 65/35 or 70/30. You need more vinyl and less see through power, unlike vehicles. They also make an 80/20, which I almost got for a job recently, but they decided to go with large banners instead if doing the glass.

Sign_Boy

Ya probably should use a 65/35 or 70/30. You need more vinyl and less see through power, unlike vehicles. They also make an 80/20, which I almost got for a job recently, but they decided to go with large banners instead if doing the glass.

I've used 70/30 before with good results. Anyway, can't change it now. Do you think the tint would help? I'd hate to have to peal, print and reinstall.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No idea. Why not cut a small piece 18" x 18", scotch tape it to the inside and see if it works ??

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
You could lay a diffuser vinyl on the back side....it would cut the light for sure. But seeing through from the other side would be eliminated.

GB2

Old Member
You know it's uncanny how I'm thinking about something or I have an issue and no matter how obscure it is, within a day or two, someone on Signs101 posts about the same issue. Not 2 minutes ago did I email a customer a reply about the very same thing....

I had previously done a perf on a glass door on one side of a hallway and now some time later I just did a perf on the other side of the hallway. The first one looks great but the new one you can see right through it. I used a new roll of material for the latest one, which was supposed to be a 65/35 and should have been the same as the previous one. The first thing I'm going to do is confirm that the material was correct and the same as the other. I believe I have the same problem as you do where there is a lot of natural light on the inside of the room, so I think you have a great idea with the tint on the inside of the glass. If everything checks out then I'm going to try the tint idea too. I won't have an answer until Friday but maybe I'll try to test it in house first and I'll let you know what happens...as far as I see it should work fine.

Chasez

If it works it will have a slight difference than not having the film. To get the "one way" glass look it works on a balance of light. It needs to be a highly reflective film and be darker in the room you viewing from and lighter on the side you don't want to see in. It will really depend on how much light there is on the side where you are viewing from. We have done the exact same thing for a daycare where we put perf (70/30) on the exterior of the glass (interior mall hallway) but you could still see right in, put a very dark film on 2nd surface but you could still see right in but it was just a bit darker because the amount of light inside the daycare was crazy. We ended up putting a frost over the film on the 2nd surface and the client had to lose the choice of seeing out so that no one could see in. If you put the film on 2nd surface and it doesn't work see if you could install a light above the windows to increase the light on the film.

Chaz

Sign_Boy

eahicks -
Thanks for the idea. The client did mention putting a graphic on the second surface, but I told him it would defeat the purpose of the one way film. However it's always an option.

GB2 -
Thanks for the reply. Here I was thinking I was the only one hahaha
This is a first for me and hopefully a last. Stuff happens I guess.
I plan on testing the tint as well, but onsite. I'll let you know how it goes. Please do the same.
Good luck !!

Chasez -
Thanks for the info. I like the frost idea. I'll keep that in mind.
There is a light right in front of the window unfortunately there are a lot more on the other side.
Today was overcast so I'm thinking that may not have helped either.
I'll give the tint a try and take it from there.

I think from now on perf goes on exterior windows only hahaha

:thankyou:

:supersmilie:

GB2

Old Member
OK Kevin, so I just got back from my investigation...I confirmed that I did indeed have the right material 65/35 perf.....I inspected the original door that I did, which looked good, and confirmed it was the same 65/35 that I was using now.....I studied the doors and the old one looked good and the new one looked transparent....I was stumped....then as I was comparing the black level of the back sides of the perf on the old door to the new material I noticed a little ripple in the corner....Ah-Ha! Unbeknownst to me, the old door had a dark tint on the inside. So, there is the answer confirmed, tint on the inside of the glass works perfectly!

Sign_Boy

OK Kevin, so I just got back from my investigation...I confirmed that I did indeed have the right material 65/35 perf.....I inspected the original door that I did, which looked good, and confirmed it was the same 65/35 that I was using now.....I studied the doors and the old one looked good and the new one looked transparent....I was stumped....then as I was comparing the black level of the back sides of the perf on the old door to the new material I noticed a little ripple in the corner....Ah-Ha! Unbeknownst to me, the old door had a dark tint on the inside. So, there is the answer confirmed, tint on the inside of the glass works perfectly!

Thanks for the update!! That makes sense. I was finally able to get back out to mine as well. I ended up installing a tint rated at 2.5: VLT (Visible Light Transmission) and it worked great. You could still see through the back but not the front. I was a little dark so I probably didn't have to go with 2.5% but I wanted to play it safe. The customer was happy. Thanks again !!

• Agree
Reactions: GB2