• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf

Ken Hendrick

I recently installed a window perf on a back window. I cleaned it with alcohol first to make sure the window was clean. The following day, the customer called and said it was falling off. What could I have done wrong.

jwlllpl

It may have a rain deterrent like RainX on it. One wiping with alcohol may not remove it. We use glue remover, then alcohol just to be on the safe side. No failures yet.

rjssigns

Some vehicles come from the factory with coatings where nothing will stick. Lexus used to be or still is one of them. Other times it could be the way the glass was processed. I can't remember the exact chemical(silicone) but it "bleeds" out of the glass and it never goes away.
Had a van like that. Did the windows two times and it fell off clean. Called my window tint buddy and he said you will occasionally run into that. It was a very detailed explanation regarding the glass making process. Basically nothing you can do with any known chemical or process to make it stick.

Stefanie

I am having the same problem. We applied perf to 4 Dodge Pro Masters back windows. 2 of them came back with in a year the lam appeared cracked like when a warp has been on too long but with out the discoloration. We reprinted and installed and within a couple weeks the perf was rolling up. Re-did again with a different brand and again it's coming off with in a week. We have not run into this before. I am stumped.

rjssigns

I am having the same problem. We applied perf to 4 Dodge Pro Masters back windows. 2 of them came back with in a year the lam appeared cracked like when a warp has been on too long but with out the discoloration. We reprinted and installed and within a couple weeks the perf was rolling up. Re-did again with a different brand and again it's coming off with in a week. We have not run into this before. I am stumped.
Time to pack it in and let the client know you've done all you can. Nothing will ever stick to that glass.

Sumon Sarker

Did you done edge sealing right?
With .5 in clear tape?
I always do with .5 in with optically clear laminate for it.

Attachments

• 20200911_104000.jpg
    20200911_104000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 120

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
A common problem often overlooked is laminate tension. Thin, cast laminates are easily WAY over-tensioned during application. If it curls at all while sitting flat after lam, it's too tight. I have seen this in tons of shops and lam operators are often forgotten when it comes to training in any capacity.

If it's failing by spiriling back from the window? Too much lam tension. If it's warped but flat-ish after lifted? Adhesion issue. An improper laminate will always do this as well due to shrinkage rate. If it's a garbage perf like General Formulations or something then the failures will be unpredictable so ... Can't help you there

If it looks like an adhesion issue, additional contributing factors like glass coatings may be involved. I use dish soap (cheapest) and water - wipe hard to remove factory coatings! Elbow grease is required to remove anything made of oil or silicone! ISO wipedown before final install to remove any soap residue/detergents and touchpoints.
window perf needs 2 full days of outgassing before cut to final size
If this is your experience then you will enjoy the results of some tweaking here! Obviously moving to anything other than solvent for windows is preferred. But if you're stuck on solvent, you absolutely can still blow out your runtime and turnaround. Running perf on the vinyl calibration is a classic mistake for "color matching". Your resolution/passes should be cut way back (often half) and your ink limits should pull down significantly (often 210-230 arena). Perf should blast out with low ink pile and properly ready for install within 4 hours. Oddly enough, over running the quality settings on perf is worse for it's performance.

• Informative
Reactions: 2B
If this is your experience then you will enjoy the results of some tweaking here! Obviously moving to anything other than solvent for windows is preferred. But if you're stuck on solvent, you absolutely can still blow out your runtime and turnaround. Running perf on the vinyl calibration is a classic mistake for "color matching". Your resolution/passes should be cut way back (often half) and your ink limits should pull down significantly (often 210-230 arena). Perf should blast out with low ink pile and properly ready for install within 4 hours. Oddly enough, over running the quality settings on perf is worse for it's performance.
Never thought of that but actually makes sense. Funny enough somehow I end up having to print a lot of black or dark graphics, not sure how that would look with limited amount of ink, will do some tests.

Stefanie

A common problem often overlooked is laminate tension. Thin, cast laminates are easily WAY over-tensioned during application. If it curls at all while sitting flat after lam, it's too tight. I have seen this in tons of shops and lam operators are often forgotten when it comes to training in any capacity.

If it's failing by spiriling back from the window? Too much lam tension. If it's warped but flat-ish after lifted? Adhesion issue. An improper laminate will always do this as well due to shrinkage rate. If it's a garbage perf like General Formulations or something then the failures will be unpredictable so ... Can't help you there

If it looks like an adhesion issue, additional contributing factors like glass coatings may be involved. I use dish soap (cheapest) and water - wipe hard to remove factory coatings! Elbow grease is required to remove anything made of oil or silicone! ISO wipedown before final install to remove any soap residue/detergents and touchpoints.

Thanks for the input, we've done plenty of perf never had this happen before.