• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

WINDOW SPLASHES

Hi everyone! Well I am new here. I will be painting holiday window splashes hard starting tomorrow. Halloween will be over and the Holiday Splash Season officially starts! yee ha! Any splash artists out there?

Attachments

• website-frostette.jpg
    website-frostette.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 822
  • website-witchcat.jpg
    website-witchcat.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 441
  • website-zombie.jpg
    website-zombie.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 525
  • web-snowman.jpg
    web-snowman.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 673

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I started out doing splashes. I treated them like large scale doodles. No proofs other than a REALLY rough sketch showing what was going to go where. I also did grocery store windows and windshield pricing for car lots. That was profitable, and I just banged them out. They turned out however I felt they should at the time.

Nowadays, most people ask me for proofs prior to production. I will do it, but I will quote the whole project. I treat it like a sign job. They still get great work, but it costs about triple to do it that way. They will pay it, because it is an business model that makes sense to them. But those clients that just tell me what they want to say, and let me take it from there, are getting a way better deal!

I still do them, and it pays really good. The problem for me is that our downtown areas can no longer support retail, and those that are getting by have very little money to spend. They are still great clients, but spending a couple hundred dollars on splashes makes no sense. Most of their customers are destination customers. There aren't too many people that just come downtown to shop and hang out.

I live an hour from Champaign, IL. The scene in downtown Champaign is much more lively, and the demand for splashes way higher. Problem is I am an hour away. I have to line up a full day of splashes to make it worthwhile. But there are some local artists who do a good job, so I don't feel so bad having to turn them down.

TimToad

Hi everyone! Well I am new here. I will be painting holiday window splashes hard starting tomorrow. Halloween will be over and the Holiday Splash Season officially starts! yee ha! Any splash artists out there?

Hey Scott, I lived and worked in Portland from 1989-2003 and we've met several times. My work has always been more of the permanent variety but I used to love seeing your work and your "shop vehicle". I've traveled this entire freaking country and you have few peers at what you do.

Glad to see you still out there pushing the brushes and rollers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ha..... did these like crazy, when still in high school. First shop I worked at, used to send me all over doing these, mostly around the Christmas season. Like mentioned, not much call for it anymore..... anyway, not around here. That was some fun times.

Nice work.

Brandon708

Welcome to the forums Scot!!

I just would like to say I admire all your work. I've been subscribed to your YouTube channel for several years. I have always been interested in window splashes. Your one of the best window artists I have ever seen. I just wish there were more artists like you around here. So many bad paintings on windows around my town.

TimToad

I'm surprised people are still doing the neon painted letters on mattress stores.

The badly done ones stick out like sore thumbs. Scott literally wrote the book on window splashes and both his caricatures AND lettering are first rate.

I started out doing splashes. I treated them like large scale doodles. No proofs other than a REALLY rough sketch showing what was going to go where. I also did grocery store windows and windshield pricing for car lots. That was profitable, and I just banged them out. They turned out however I felt they should at the time.

Nowadays, most people ask me for proofs prior to production. I will do it, but I will quote the whole project. I treat it like a sign job. They still get great work, but it costs about triple to do it that way. They will pay it, because it is an business model that makes sense to them. But those clients that just tell me what they want to say, and let me take it from there, are getting a way better deal!

I still do them, and it pays really good. The problem for me is that our downtown areas can no longer support retail, and those that are getting by have very little money to spend. They are still great clients, but spending a couple hundred dollars on splashes makes no sense. Most of their customers are destination customers. There aren't too many people that just come downtown to shop and hang out.

I live an hour from Champaign, IL. The scene in downtown Champaign is much more lively, and the demand for splashes way higher. Problem is I am an hour away. I have to line up a full day of splashes to make it worthwhile. But there are some local artists who do a good job, so I don't feel so bad having to turn them down.
Hello there, Yeah being an hour away from the job site adds time and money. I travel far sometimes but try and make it work.

Hey Scott, I lived and worked in Portland from 1989-2003 and we've met several times. My work has always been more of the permanent variety but I used to love seeing your work and your "shop vehicle". I've traveled this entire freaking country and you have few peers at what you do.

Glad to see you still out there pushing the brushes and rollers.
Thanks for the acknowledgement! I am teaching on you tube these days and not doing as many splashes as I use too...only the fun ones! hahaha!

Ha..... did these like crazy, when still in high school. First shop I worked at, used to send me all over doing these, mostly around the Christmas season. Like mentioned, not much call for it anymore..... anyway, not around here. That was some fun times.

Nice work.
That's cool...yeah maybe slowing down in some areas but growing in other areas and across the world as far as I can tell. Seems my you tube channel is contributing to the growth which is gratifying!

Welcome to the forums Scot!!

I just would like to say I admire all your work. I've been subscribed to your YouTube channel for several years. I have always been interested in window splashes. Your one of the best window artists I have ever seen. I just wish there were more artists like you around here. So many bad paintings on windows around my town.
Thanks! Yeah I have painted a few splashes in my time...slowing down a bit and only doing the fun stuff now.

WOW, fantastic work...How do you get on through the Winter Months with slow drying times?
I have been painting holiday windows for 42 years. The cold is not a large factor on window splashes drying, it's more about the humidity, but temp does play a small part. Paint in winter can take 30 minutes or more to dry but it can also dry in 5 minutes depending on the humidity and wind which plays a huge factor.