• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 10.... Am I safe to download this?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I hope your pair of "pros" were not charging you. It shouldn't take a "pro", let alone two pros more than a few hours to do a complete back up and clean install of an Operating System, including the sitting around time waiting for the backup and install to complete. Once completed there should not be any folder or anything left from the old operating system as they should have formatted the hard drive.

Gosh that's good to know. Try to comprehend, Babbage, I was describing what happens to when 10 was backed out and 7 re-ignited, as per the instructions from the Great White Fathers there at Microsoft. My lack of interest in what you might think I 'should' have done approaches total. For reasons you give every appearance of being unable to comprehend, re-formatting and re-installing was not an option. Nor a desirable route even if it were an option, which it wasn't. Also try to grasp this; I've been dealing with computers, both hardware design and implementation as well as writing commercial grade software, for over half a century thus when I have to hire a pro, trust me, he's a pro.

OldPaint

ok.........WINDOWS 10...........
#1. THE FREE VERSION........ is only usable to OVERWRITE EXISTING windows OS, WIN7, WIN 8, WIN 8.1. not sure it will upgrade from VISTA or XP.
#2. this free version..........to make it work properly has to have a working WINDOWS OS key, serial number and activated.
#3. YOU CAN NOT INSTALL THIS WINDOWS 10........AS A CLEAN INSTALL!!!!!! now when i say CLEAN INSTALL......... a hard drive that has nothing but a FORMAT DONE TO IT.
#4. how do i know this??? i did a clean install of it from an ISO DISC i burnt of WIN10. IT WILL LOAD and run.........BUT CAN NOT ACTIVATE!!!! i called M/S, asked why........was told if i want to do it that way i would have to go out and purchase a WINDOWS 10 PROGRAM.(M/S $119.00) told the guy i had a valid/activated WIN 7. he said it dont matter. i ran and played with WIN 10 for about 2 weeks. not impressed and didnt see any advantage to it over WIN 7. iam sure in the future i will move to it.........but i dont like doing beta testing for M/S.))))))
#5. here is my solution. 1st off i didnt want to lose any info on the hard drive i was working on with win 7.
2ndly i wanted to up grade the hard drive in that machine to a SSD 250 GIG, instead of the 160 gig IDE that came in the computer. i d/l a copy of AOMEI backup/clone software. took the SSD on to my computer, FORMATED IT. PLUGED IT INTO THE OTHER MACHINE where the CD/DVR was connected.(only 2 SATA ports on that computer)loaded AOMEI on the 160 gig, and ran it to clone the 250 GIG SSD... now i could if wanted to...........run win 10 to upgrade either hard drive........BUT I DIDNT WANT TO LOSE/SCREWUP/ADD GARBAGE TO either hard drive. oh the SSD...........on that 1.80 gig celeron, 4 gig a ram.........runs almost double the speed of the IDE 160 gig.

untitled

Gosh that's good to know. Try to comprehend, Babbage, I was describing what happens to when 10 was backed out and 7 re-ignited, as per the instructions from the Great White Fathers there at Microsoft. My lack of interest in what you might think I 'should' have done approaches total. For reasons you give every appearance of being unable to comprehend, re-formatting and re-installing was not an option. Nor a desirable route even if it were an option, which it wasn't. Also try to grasp this; I've been dealing with computers, both hardware design and implementation as well as writing commercial grade software, for over half a century thus when I have to hire a pro, trust me, he's a pro.

Congrats on your over half a century of dealing with computers. I guess we just have different opinions on what a pro is and I trust that who you hired was a pro in your opinion.

S11930

A suggestion

Put all your data on a separate hard disk (d) anything that is important, not your programs . Locate all your reinstall disks. Back-up all your data anything you put on the separate external hard drive that is important its a back-up to the back-up for data. If you have to get another hard disk unplug the program hard disk install all new programs new operating system and all you data will be untouched on the separate drive. Through time the registry gets corrupted by installing programs and uninstalling programs. Data does not effect the registry. just some info. from a person who has learned how to walk through a mine field...always follow the person in front of you

gabagoo

Wow I am glad asked this question.. screw U win 10!!!

I loaded google chrome and now the internet is working like a charm

Thanks for all your input.

boxerbay

That is some good advice. always keep your data on a separate disk drive. if your computer craps out you can always pull that drive and plug it into another computer. I always do.

Also, there's works computers and then there's email and internet computers. Never ever mix the 2. this way if someone email you a virus or you catch one surfing the web it doesnt affect computers that run production.

WildWestDesigns

Also, there's works computers and then there's email and internet computers. Never ever mix the 2. this way if someone email you a virus or you catch one surfing the web it doesnt affect computers that run production.

The same thing could be said for not running bleeding edge system on a production rig. If it's not connected to the internet, no need to worry if the system goes EOL or not (which Win 7 doesn't go EOL until 2020 and Win 8.1 til 2023, so that shouldn't even remotely be a concern even if it is connected, this would also mean most software companies should still write software that will work on these 2 OSs until the respective EOL dates, atleast historically that's been the case, shoot, I still run a Win 98 rig).

Ironically, also having auto updates on a production rig also inherently adds instability in the process of trying to fix weaknesses (and maybe add another "bonus" or two not related to plugging up holes). Doing updates, I have always had mixed feelings about. Given Windows history of updates (at least in my experience and in all honesty, it's understandable), it makes me leary, especially if using an OS that requires you to do updates right when they are available.

I've run production environments where an OS goes EOL every 13 months, so if it's connected and you want updates, you have to upgrade every 13 months (although don't have to worry about the run of the mill Windows virus, it does have it's own malware out there). That makes for an interesting yearly event at times.