• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 10 - Free Upgrade - freely installed

Vinyldog

Windows 10 ready or not

Just happened on my main printer PC. I got the pop-up window explaining that I was about to get win10. I told it I needed more time and cancelled out of it but just went in to print and another pop-up said it was finished installing and re-starting.
It's already caused a delay in my work-flow today.
If this screws up my printing I'm going to go ballistic on someone.

WildWestDesigns

Just happened on my main printer PC. I got the pop-up window explaining that I was about to get win10. I told it I needed more time and cancelled out of it but just went in to print and another pop-up said it was finished installing and re-starting.
It's already caused a delay in my work-flow today.
If this screws up my printing I'm going to go ballistic on someone.

You weren't the only one today.

A member of my trade group had the pop up come it. Clicked the "X" to cancel it out. She went out to lunch and boom. Came back to a Win 10 update in progress. She is hoping that her Pulse program works on Win 10, so she can still use it before she is able to roll back.

It's a mess that's for sure.

decalit

If anyone has the issue after it tries to install itself but restarts everytime you click the next button, disconnect your internet connection and restart... did the trick for me...

Signed Out

We also have scheduled updates to win10. I downloaded and ran the never10 app. Was super easy and quick, but I still have the win10 upgrade icon on my taskbar. Is it supposed to stay there?

WildWestDesigns

We also have scheduled updates to win10. I downloaded and ran the never10 app. Was super easy and quick, but I still have the win10 upgrade icon on my taskbar. Is it supposed to stay there?

I don't think Never10 completely removes the GWX. Might want to see about uninstalling KB3035583. I do believe that's the update with the nagware in it. But that is just based on my memory, might want to confirm that if that's the route you want to go.

I think GWX Control Panel has the option to remove that icon, but is more involved of a program compared to Never10.

Again, there are ways to do this that doesn't involve 3rd party solutions, just depends on how much time you want to be involved with this.

Vinyldog

I have been able to print since the hostile take-over of the Dell but I have to manually enter the material type in Flexi-rip now. It still gets the material size from the printer but not the type.
I'm also having an issue with setting the position now. Erratic behavior and ignoring commands.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I walked in one Monday a few weeks ago to find that I was now running Windows 10. I was not happy considering I spent half a day setting everything to my likings, but other than that, no problems. Running X5 and X6 on my PC, X5 and quickbooks on the laptop, and VW, X5 and X6 on the other computer. I have XP on my old computer and its a tank. :rock-n-roll:

David Wright

I got a surprise too a while back, only my video was awful. Finally had to install a video card to get it working right. That was nice.

Techman

and so it begins

win 10 update will be 3.1 gigs..
Why is it so big.. After all the first iteration of 10 was less than that. Are they adding stuff you do not want? Yes they are..

So guess what.
Just as I predicted win 10 update looks like win 10.1
They are removing certain items and reducing functionality.

Professional editions of Windows 10 ship with the Group Policy Editor that enables users and administrators to make changes to the default configuration of the operating system.

Up until now, policy availability was more or less identical for all professional versions of Windows 10. Turns out, this is no longer the case when the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is released.

Some policies contain a note stating that they only apply to certain editions of Windows 10, with Windows 10 Pro not being listed as one of them.

Note: This setting only applies to Enterprise, Education, and Server SKUs

Furthermore, the corresponding Registry keys are not working either anymore which means that Pro users have no option to make changes to features affected by the change.

Microsoft published a new article on Technet that confirms that policies related to "tips and tricks" and "store suggestions" cannot be disabled anymore on Windows 10 Pro.

For example. Say you do not want angry birds on your machine.. Well, you will have no choice. You will be given certain titles whether you want them or not and have no way to disable their addons.
The change prevents Windows 10 Pro users from enabling the policy to block third-party application installations or links.
Similarly, "Prevent changing log screen and logon image" and"Force a specific default lock screen and logon image" are also no longer available on Windows 10 Pro devices.

An Example is... IOS , where you must take the apple watch app on your phone even though you do not use applewatch.

Other problems are arising in that certain hardware that ran well at first now will not run at all.
Telemetry will be sent to outside servers ... one will not have the ability to turn telemetry off..

The changes take away functionality that was previously a part of the Windows 10 Pro edition. It is without doubt an annoyance, considering that Pro users have no option anymore to disable third-party applications, links or Store apps in general on Windows 10 once the Anniversary Update is installed.

Have fun..

WildWestDesigns

win 10 update will be 3.1 gigs..
Why is it so big.. After all the first iteration of 10 was less than that. Are they adding stuff you do not want? Yes they are..

So guess what.
Just as I predicted win 10 update looks like win 10.1
They are removing certain items and reducing functionality.....

Do you have a link to that specific article that talks about all of this? Thankfully, I don't have Win 10, more for my own edification and to make others aware.

Edit: Ok, I think this is the article that you used here, but I couldn't find anything about the telemetry being sent to outside servers in that article, so maybe it wasn't or that info was pulled from another article. If it was a different article, which one?

Techman

It is well known about the telemetry. Are you a windows "insider"? If so there is no need to link anything.
If not then..
just google win 10 telemetry and one can see all they want.

AF

As far as telemetry and other cloud data handling, I am firmly against this trend in the industry. In the old days, we had mainframes and dumb terminals. If there was a problem with the mainframe, your entire organization was dead in the water. The age of client-server with autonomous clients was both liberating and productivity boosting (pre-facebook and all that jazz). With the new cloud era, we are back to mainframes and dumb terminals again. It's the "all eggs in one basket" approach to data. But the issue is not so much the mainframe going down. It has to do with data handling and contract cost escalation. The hot trend on the backend of the cloud nowadays is to farm out the storage so you can oversell your capability. Now we have companies popping up like weeds that have small data centers in all sorts of questionable locations around the globe. These weeds are not directly contracted with the end customer and do not offer the same promise of data integrity, up time and security as the main host. This is a big problem on many levels. But beyond this, if a company signs on with a "cloud" (buzzword) provider, that provider could go out of business without warning or sell off to a third party which is also a huge problem. And since the end user has no control of the cloud provider, future compatibility is not ensured. In other words, if the cloud provider's service works with your organization today there is no way to stop them from changing their internal standards and breaking that compatibility later and without notice.

The Windows 10 changes mentioned above are the perfect illustration of the problem.

WildWestDesigns

It is well known about the telemetry. Are you a windows "insider"? If so there is no need to link anything.
If not then..
just google win 10 telemetry and one can see all they want.

Telemetry in general I am aware of. Just looking at my posts in various Win 10s threads would show that.

I am not in the insider program. I do not believe in being "bleeding edge" with regard to personal or especially on business computers. Which Win 10 is, since they force updates with you having no choice. Since I do both on all my computers to some extent, it's hard to separate. This is coming from someone that did run Fedora exclusively for awhile as well.

It's telemetry now going to 3rd party servers due to this update is what I was unaware of and asking about. At least that's I was reading it as these changes were due to the update. That's why I was asking for a supporting article to that claim.

OldPaint

hummmmmm maybe M/S is trying to get more sales for MAC AND MORE PEOPLE TO MOVE TO linux?????hahahahahaahahahaha
i have LINUX nad really like it except i cant run COREL DRAW((((

WildWestDesigns

hummmmmm maybe M/S is trying to get more sales for MAC AND MORE PEOPLE TO MOVE TO linux?????hahahahahaahahahaha
i have LINUX nad really like it except i cant run COREL DRAW((((

MS actually have Linux functionality within it. You can run BASH in MS.

You can either try to run DRAW within Wine, depending on the version it may or may not take more tweaking to get it to work or you can run VMs of Windows (what I do, I have Win 98, VISTA, 7 and 8.1 all running on one computer, sometimes 2 at the same time along with my host OS). So it is possible to run it on Linux.

The later will depend on the specs of your computer, having a 64bit host OS would help out a lot in this endeavour. Doesn't matter what the guests are. I know you are more of a fan of 32 bit OSs.

I'm a huge advocate of Linux, it has it's pros and cons though.