• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 will not start up?

WildWestDesigns

Oops, I had Illustrator 5.5 and Photoshop CC, I wonder how t will work to reinstall them?

If you have used up both activations, then you could call in to see if Adobe would open up another activation for your 5.5 and CC.

Probably not likely on your 5.5, but given the subscription nature of CC, that may not be an issue.

If they won't open up another slot and you go to re-install them, you'll probably only be limited to your 30 day trial.

k_graham

Their are a couple backup programs I would suggest that are free which will clone a hard disk to files on a different disk or to a network backup. Both can be ran from a CD or USB which ever your computer is able to Boot from.

I use a drive dock so I can store drives off site, either use USB3 or ESATA as USB2 is slow. Also I suggest a full format, not a quick format of any backup harddrive to ensure the drive has no bad sectors in use. I find it is necessary to do this on older drives as well if planning to reuse.

RedoBackup.org is the easiest with Graphical Interface, it does take 512 megs of RAM and uses a graphical Linux. You may save to a NTFS formatted disk other format. In addition it includes disk partioning software, and a web browser, and rudimentary file access software. I did have trouble with the 1.04 version with 1 computer but it did work with the older 1.03 version. I suggest creating a subdirectory RedoBackup and saving within subdirectories of that as it wants to save multiple files and will not automatically create a subdirectory. There must be no spaces in saved name or subdirectory name but underlines and hyphens are okay.

Clonezilla is text based using Linux and will work with less RAM, I. The advantage to Clonezilla is it can do a verification to ensure your backup can be restored but a restore is confusing, it is easier if you made a directory 1st while in Windows perhaps Clonezilla

Ideally I suggest a minimum of 2 backups to 2 different backup drives as all it takes is 1 bad sector and your backup is also history.

Don't forget to back up your RIPS as well.

Important Note - Restores must be to a disk of equal size or larger or they will not restore.

Ken

phototec

Their are a couple backup programs I would suggest that are free which will clone a hard disk to files on a different disk or to a network backup. Both can be ran from a CD or USB which ever your computer is able to Boot from.

I use a drive dock so I can store drives off site, either use USB3 or ESATA as USB2 is slow. Also I suggest a full format, not a quick format of any backup harddrive to ensure the drive has no bad sectors in use. I find it is necessary to do this on older drives as well if planning to reuse.

RedoBackup.org is the easiest with Graphical Interface, it does take 512 megs of RAM and uses a graphical Linux. You may save to a NTFS formatted disk other format. In addition it includes disk partioning software, and a web browser, and rudimentary file access software. I did have trouble with the 1.04 version with 1 computer but it did work with the older 1.03 version. I suggest creating a subdirectory RedoBackup and saving within subdirectories of that as it wants to save multiple files and will not automatically create a subdirectory. There must be no spaces in saved name or subdirectory name but underlines and hyphens are okay.

Clonezilla is text based using Linux and will work with less RAM, I. The advantage to Clonezilla is it can do a verification to ensure your backup can be restored but a restore is confusing, it is easier if you made a directory 1st while in Windows perhaps Clonezilla

Ideally I suggest a minimum of 2 backups to 2 different backup drives as all it takes is 1 bad sector and your backup is also history.

Important Note - Restores must be to a disk of equal size or larger or they will not restore.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I know very little about this subject, however I recognize that I have to do it pronto.

So, I need something with a VERY EASY interface, cause you used some terminology that is NOT familiar to me.

Also, what do you mean "Don't forget to back up your RIPS as well", is that not part of cloning the entire C drive with all the applications including VersaWorks (RIP)?

k_graham

Thanks Ken,

I know very little about this subject, however I recognize that I have to do it pronto.

So, I need something with a VERY EASY interface, cause you used some terminology that is NOT familiar to me.

Also, what do you mean "Don't forget to back up your RIPS as well", is that not part of cloning the entire C drive with all the applications including VersaWorks (RIP)?

Often people back up their computer but forget their largeformat RIP or external Fiery attached to copier . These can take hours to reload and days with customized preferences - or only 30 minutes if Cloned, your choice.

Try Redo Backup First, quoting from their Website

Easy graphical user interface boots from CD in less than a minute
No installation needed; runs from a CD-ROM or a USB stick
Saves and restores Windows and Linux machines

Automatically finds local network shares

Access your files even if you can't log in

Recover deleted pictures, documents, and other files

Internet access with a full-featured browser to download drivers
Live CD download size is only about 250MB

It boots to a Backup and Restore button pretty easy and straight forward.

Ken

player

Have you not bought Acronis yet?

The other solutions suggested may be excellent but for $40 Acronis is very easy and user friendly.

visual800

Im also running 2 dell 8300s, which that doesnt matter as you said harddrives are going to fail and they wont give you a warning, just a matter of time. Over the years I have had every brand fail, they are not different.

I will say the last disk fail i had I was back up and running in no time. I snatched the harddrive out of the other machine and put in my main one and kept going as it was an exact duplicate of this one I work on

player

Im also running 2 dell 8300s, which that doesnt matter as you said harddrives are going to fail and they wont give you a warning, just a matter of time. Over the years I have had every brand fail, they are not different.

I will say the last disk fail i had I was back up and running in no time. I snatched the harddrive out of the other machine and put in my main one and kept going as it was an exact duplicate of this one I work on

How do you duplicate the drive?

WildWestDesigns

Out of the 2 distros listed above (redo is based of ubuntu, clonezilla is based off debian), I would suggest Clonezilla. More options, plus I like the fact that it only backs up used sectors. Making it far quicker (efficient). Like the FreeNAS distro when you expand a RAID, it only has to deal with used portions and not just empty ones as well, like Qnap does.

As far as user friendly though, Acronis does have an edge there, both in backing up and in deploying. Unfortunately for me, Acronis does not work on ext4 type of systems.

visual800

How do you duplicate the drive?

i didnt duplicate but i got my email set up, my browser. all of my art files and such are on a second hardrive in my comp. i just put other hd in it and reloaded programs and im done. i also make sure outlook contacts are updated and bookmarks.

k_graham

Cloning is a form of duplicating. In RedoBackup I have always done by saving to a harddrive which it compresses and is put in a directory on my backup drive. Then I run restore and either put it back on my original drive after a disaster or restore to a new drive.

(I always do a full format before hand as restoring to a drive with a quick format could be restoring to a drive that has read errors, after a full format that takes hours all errors are normally locked out and hidden or you will at least know if a problem exists and trash that drive.)

With Clonezilla there is a function of disk to disk copying, with the only restriction being the new disk must be the same size or larger.

Regards comment of Acronis, I have not purchased as I look after about 20 computers between home, work and friends and and doubt it would be 40.00 in that case, in addition their would likely be upgrade fees due to upgraded operating systems etc.

Ken

WildWestDesigns

Regards comment of Acronis, I have not purchased as I look after about 20 computers between home, work and friends and and doubt it would be 40.00 in that case, in addition their would likely be upgrade fees due to upgraded operating systems etc.

Ken

Based on both of those, Clonezilla would be your best choice as I think it's better at deploying larger amounts of images.

Acronis is actually going subscription now if I'm not mistaken. last version I used was 2014 though as 2012 didn't want to work with Win 8.

phototec

Anyone know (use) Acronis, will it make a clone HD?

I like the idea of making a clone HD of my main C drive with all the OS and apps, then store it in case of emergency.

I know I will have to back it up or write over it making a back-up periodically, but I'm willing to do that.

signage

Yes it makes an image that is an exact copy of your HD!

All you need is an external drive to store your image and you can get files from the image.

WildWestDesigns

Just in my Email Today

I thought this might be of interest due to the interest in Acronis.

phototec in answer to your last question item #5.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-01-21 09-24-10.png
    Screenshot from 2016-01-21 09-24-10.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 101

Baz

I have an external backup drive connected to my production pc. I use a free program called FBackup and it backs up up my jobs everyday at 5pm.

I keep an updated (around every 4 months or so) "System Image" file created from Windows on that drive as well.

Is the Windows System Image enough protection should a hard drive failure occur?

This is for Windows 7 and i also do the same with my Windows 8.1 laptop.

WildWestDesigns

I have an external backup drive connected to my production pc. I use a free program called FBackup and it backs up up my jobs everyday at 5pm.

I keep an updated (around every 4 months or so) "System Image" file created from Windows on that drive as well.

Is the Windows System Image enough protection should a hard drive failure occur?

This is for Windows 7 and i also do the same with my Windows 8.1 laptop.

Typically, I like to have 3 images.

1. Fresh install with no apps
2. Fresh install with all apps and their respective settings
3. Ongoing backup image taken at regular intervals.

1 and 2 are kept in locations never to be touched with the backup program again except to deploy just in case something happens to #3.

I don't advise storing backups on external USB drives. In my mind (so take it for what it's worth), they aren't meant for long term storage. I have had far more failures with external drives compared to drives that have firmware for a NAS setup for instance. Don't get me wrong, I've had external drives last quite a while, but I have had far more failures with external drives compared to drives in a NAS system.

If doing external, I would keep the backup files on more then one, just in case one has a failure, you have a backup of that backup file. This is where a RAID setup can come in handy as well with a NAS device.

This is how I approach backups, this is by no means the only method (may not even be the best method), just the way that I approach it. Nothing more.

Baz

I have daily backups on external WD drives. And also weekly backups on a dual WD drive that is mirrored (raid config).

So i have a total of 3 backup copies ... Think i will be ok.

Thanks for the info.

WildWestDesigns

I have daily backups on external WD drives. And also weekly backups on a dual WD drive that is mirrored (raid config).

So i have a total of 3 backup copies ... Think i will be ok.

Thanks for the info.

Yea, I think you are alright too. I just read your previous post as you only had 1 external connected.