• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows XP 64

jayhawksigns

Just wanting to check if anyone here was running Windows XP 64 yet??

I have a new computer coming in this week, and I was just thinking about installing the WinXP 64 trial you can download first to see how Flexi and Photoshop run.

JMDigital

Unless flexi and photoshop released a 64bit version of their programs they will run the same... You can run them at the same time better.. but can you use them at the same time? Remember 64bit oerating system needs 64 bit software , Im shure that it will also run 32 bit programs, the current versions of Flexi corel adobe . and others..

And i dont know if downloading a beta of any microsoft program is a good idea.. I am a Microsoft windows XP Pro and 2003 server fan.. however I do know that there motto is

"Release it first... Fix it for free" (think of all the XBOX 360's getting replaced for free) As long at they release first they win...

Just my take... Congrats on the new PC!! I am guessing its one of the 64bit processors..

srt10x3

jayhawksigns said:
Just wanting to check if anyone here was running Windows XP 64 yet??

I have a new computer coming in this week, and I was just thinking about installing the WinXP 64 trial you can download first to see how Flexi and Photoshop run.

XP 64 is release and commercially available and has been for almost a year now. I run it at home, but not in a business production environment. The are still few drivers available for most hardware. Onyx and Flexi don't support XP 64 yet. I have tried to install it with mixed sucess. Flexi runs fine, but won't see the Cutter (No driver for it).

Stay with XP pro or Server 2003.

Craig

Sign Guy

A month ago I had to purchase a new computer and without thinking I got a 64 bit unit. I am running flexi without any problems but on the install it would not recognize the dongle. I called flexi and was told that there was a download to fix the dongle problem but it was not yet tested on a 64 bit system but it is running without any problems.
Bob

thewood

I read this a few months ago in a sign business trade magazine:

Microsoft has recently released a new version of Windows XP called Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

This version has issues with large format digital printing equipment. As far as I can tell right now all major manufacturers are affected. There is no known fix yet. Most manufacturers have stated that they will not have drivers ready for distribution until the end of the year.

Right now I would suggest to everyone that they hold off on this new operating system until drivers are available for each of your respective printers.

Our Scanvec/Amiable contact was unaware of the issue and is looking into the issue for us.

jayhawksigns

I run the dongle and Production Manager on another computer, that runs XP Pro, so I figured that wouldn't be a problem.

I'll be downloading a trial so I am really not out anything, other than just having to reinstall WinXP Pro if it doesn't work.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
DO NOT upgrade to WinXP Pro x64 Edition. It breaks a lot of graphics related things. On top of that, there's next to nothing in terms of graphics applications that are compiled for 64-bit operation. Basically you'll take a bunch of risks and get no benefit.

For instance, this 64-bit version can break Adobe Acrobat. Various users on the Adobe forums are screaming for a 64-bit update. It isn't coming anytime particularly soon. 1Q or 2Q 2007 is the likely date -when the rest of Adobe Creative Suite 3 is launched.

WinXP Pro x64 causes issues with other Adobe applications as well.

Do you use any Type 1 Multiple Master fonts by way of Adobe Type Manager 4.1 Lite or Deluxe? You'll lose that capability running 64-bit Windows.

If any of your applications, plug-ins, application installers, device drivers, device driver installers and just about anything else that executes code uses anything compiled in 16-bit words it will not work in 64-bit Windows. There is lots and lots of software and device drivers that fail that test.

When WinXP Pro x64 was released there were big problems amongst anti virus software companies in getting their applications to work.

Others can do what they like, but my plan is this: I won't upgrade to WinXP Pro x64 edition at all. If I have to buy a new desktop PC anytime soon, I'll get one running XP Pro. I won't feel comfortable getting a PC pre-loaded with Windows Vista unless I absolutely know my applications will run on it. If I have to buy a bunch of upgrades to gain compatibility, then that certainly will make me weigh all the options (including getting a Mac and Mac versions of my apps) but definitely make the wait for a new purchase longer.

azcolor

Ram Limit

I am considering an Building an XP 64 Computer because Windows xp does not support anything over 4 gigs of ram. I do a large amount of high end vehicle wraps and our 4 gig machines are just not cutting it anymore. Some file sizes are over 1 gig. We looked into Mac's and this is still an option but we have been PC based for 6 years now and our designers are comfortable. Any suggestions on a dual processor 64 bit machine running 8 gigs and scsi drives using xp64. What Photoshop/Illustrator issues will I have? We could use one of the 4 gig boxes we have now for ripping and printing, Its the design time, opening, saving, adjusting, sizing these large file we are concerned with.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
WinXP Pro x64 edition will gain you nothing in dealing with items like huge Photoshop files.

First, absolutely none of Adobe's applications are compiled for 64-bit operation. Not even on the Mac platform. They're all 32-bit. Adobe Photoshop supports a "normal" maximum support of 2GB of RAM for the application. There is a registry tweak that will allow support of 3GB of RAM under the standard 32-bit Win XP Pro operating system.

With all the things XP x64 breaks (such as Adobe Type Manager 4.1 and Adobe Acrobat for starters) I don't think it is worth the risk in using -certainly not in any production oriented environment. It seems best for those who have a spare computer to run in experimental, hobbyist or high end enthusiast efforts.

JMDigital

Bobby is 100% correct.. Untill you see a 64 bit version of software. (adobe and others..) whats the 64bit windows xp gonna do..

there is an article here about photoshop cs and 64 bit ..

http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/CS2/photoshop_cs2.html

Here is a quote from that article...

"Adobe says that if you have one of the newer 64-bit processor computers, CS2 can now address more than 3.5 GB of RAM. Boy, talk about FAST! With so much going on here, I'm sure that I've only scratched the surface of Photoshop CS2. I haven't customized my menus, haven't colored them, and haven't automated them for batch-processing or other nice things. I also haven't done any scripting, or used Events. "