• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Winter real estate signs

gnubler

Customer wants a dozen 24x18" two-sided for sale signs to be installed in an area with heavy snowfall. Initially asked about using a typical post and single arm to hang the signs from but had concerns of them getting swallowed up by snowplows this winter. I suggested mini-sled frames that could be moved or lifted on top of snow berms so they stay visible. Customer doesn't want anything flimsy or tacky looking so probably no PVC or metal A-frames. They need to last for one year, through the winter up on a mountain.

Any suggestions or creative ideas?

ikarasu

Do you do your own in-house fabrication?

We make lawn frames out of steel, they're way sturdier than the pre-made stuff you can buy. He also have a lot of customers that use them in the snow, and we have an add-on we call winter feet. It makes it sturdy so when snow does get plowed into them they don't fall over, and it also makes it so that they are useful in the summer since the snow feet can be removed.

If you scroll down, it's the one in the center.

We're in the mountains so we get a lot of heavy snowfall, if you copy that design it should work fine.

gnubler

Ikarasu, I like that idea. I'll do some searching to see if I can find anything pre-fabbed, making them in house is beyond my ability.

The problem with step stakes is once they get mangled by snow or plows they won't be replaceable during the winter (frozen ground).

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Ikarasu, I like that idea. I'll do some searching to see if I can find anything pre-fabbed, making them in house is beyond my ability.

The problem with step stakes is once they get mangled by snow or plows they won't be replaceable during the winter (frozen ground).
Propane weed burner?

gnubler

Flamethrower, if it were up to me. The signs are for $1M slivers of land for the upper class, so I'm already expecting the agent to push for the absolute cheapest option possible.

ikarasu

That's the good thing about the winter feet as well... We designed them because the mountains cities we send it to have such hard ground in the winter that they can't pound the stakes into the ground. The feet give it a ton of durability and it just sits on-top of the ground.

Our normal frames we fabricate slide right into them too... So it's a cheap / easy add-on for us!

It's a couple pieces of angle welded with some flatbed / u channel, super easy to produce if you can weld. I'd offer to help you out... But just the shipping of heavy steel from Canada to USA would probably cost more than you'd make on the job alone.

If you run out of options and want to get someone local to fab them for you, I can get our fabricator to give a list of cuts and materials and send a bunch of close up photos if you'd like.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
That's the good thing about the winter feet as well... We designed them because the mountains cities we send it to have such hard ground in the winter that they can't pound the stakes into the ground. The feet give it a ton of durability and it just sits on-top of the ground.

Our normal frames we fabricate slide right into them too... So it's a cheap / easy add-on for us!

It's a couple pieces of angle welded with some flatbed / u channel, super easy to produce if you can weld. I'd offer to help you out... But just the shipping of heavy steel from Canada to USA would probably cost more than you'd make on the job alone.

If you run out of options and want to get someone local to fab them for you, I can get our fabricator to give a list of cuts and materials and send a bunch of close up photos if you'd like.
C'mon Ikarasu, make them for nubler - your only 8 short hours away from each other.

ikarasu

Haha. Honestly I'd be more than happy to. But if his real estate clients are anything like ours, they want it tomorrow and they want it for half the amount it costs you to make it... Let alone ship them to another country, with how heavy they are.

If I were closer or it made sense for him I'd be more than happy to help!

gnubler

Thanks for the ideas here. Sounds like the customer is going with a typical single post arm frame with a hanging sign, twelve of varying heights. Gnubler's wood shop will be busy next week.