• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wireless Network

Sign Guy

I am looking to move some things around in the shop for a more efficient workflow. For those that have gone wireless what brand have you used and are you happy with the performance?
Thanks in advance
Bob :thankyou:

ChiknNutz

I have the D-Link Xtreme G setup (router/access point, PC card and Laptop card). This is a 108 MBps setup (enhanced 54 MBps). I see they have a new format that just came out supposedly has 3X the range. I have the router in my house along with a laptop, and the PC out in the detached shop about 50 feet away (signal going thru 3 walls). I got pretty crappy reception in the shop and then bought a 6db antenna for the shop PC. Throughput is much better now. If all were in the same bldg, probably would be xlnt reception.

Graphic Language

D-Link here too... watchout if you have a 2.4Ghz cordless phone and your wireless is 2.4Ghz also... everytime someone cranks up the cordless phone, my laptop goes off line :rolleyes:

Bryce

Imakesigns

I use linksys with never a prob. as for the 2.4 thing, that sometimes will affect you, but most of the time you dont have to worry. my router is less than 3 feet from the cordless and I am on my laptop and phone together all day. If you have problems, you can buy a 5.8Ghz now. That's pretty much the reason they are sold.

ChiknNutz

I've not had any problems with the phone and router, with the exception of a little noise on the phone when nearby.

Graphic Language

I wonder if the people not having problems with 2.4Ghz phones and WiFI are using Digital Spread Spectrum phones or if they are some other technology (single freq. digital, analog, etc). My Cordless phone is upstairs in the house, but the WiFi stuff is downstairs in the shop. It could be that my WiFi and my 2.4Ghz (Panasonic GigiaRange Extreme) are both up in the years and that newer stuff plays with eachother better.
:help:

Bryce

Techman

Linksys is becomming a good choice.

D-link is good too ,, While it is very easy for a newbie, it is limited on certain functions. Its good for a home system that does not anticipate adding on extra functions. Very economical. You would be happy if you just want a good wireless access and maybe a couple other settings for certain applications that need web access.
Most extra port accesses are preset by the factory. This could cause you some frustraton. For example. FTP's use port 21 by default. However, Many experienced FTP users prefer to use ports in the 5000 range or higher for security. This is because port scanners look for access to your machine thru ports 21. You have just 3 extra port assignment open for your choice.

On the other hand. A linksys router would be for a user who wants his network to operate without any limitations. Linksys has an abundance of port forwarding and port triggering. Some do not know what port triggering is. But, there may come a time when you do and you will be very upset if your router doe not have it.
This router is easy to operate if you need to go to set access for applications. It is easy to set up the WAP encryption functions. This be may be the choice if you have any plans to expand your network capabilities. For example. Many will use FTP, chat systems, and web access possibilities in the future. Some will find a need for other unique applications that require web access thru a router system that allows complete freedom to assign application accesses. .

Side notes: Many firewall first time users are alarmed to see so many warning attacks on their machines. Almost all this is harmless background noise. Some is scanners looking for a compromised computer. Properly set routers block these scans and background noise.

The difference between a router and a router / switch.

Very basic: A router allows access to the net but divides the band width between all users. A couple of heavy users will soon see slow downs.

A "switch" is a router but it does not divide the bandwidth. Every point on the network gets full speed. You will not see a speed reduction.

WEP:
A way of securing your wireless network from outs side users or from outside phone signals. There are people that drive around looking for unsecured wireless networks and do all kinds of deeds using your network.
Have fun.. :)

Sign Guy

Thanks for all the info. This afternoon I hope to get out and see what is available at the big box electronic stores. Thanks again for the help.
Bob

Wireless is OKay for what we do but is not as reliable as plain ol hardwire in. To much interference, & If your a high speed internet gamer forget about it.

TerryStolmeier

I've got D-Link. Works fine after it recognizes the network. I think I spent around $70 at Fry's for a starter kit that had the router/hub and a card for my laptop. If you are running a PC, you can get cards for as low as $15 on sale at Fry's. Sale day starts every Friday!