• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wish List for Summa DC4 / DC4sx

garisimo

Ok, in the same vein as Tips and Tricks, I am going to post my gripes / wish list for the Summa DC4 / DC4 sx, and encourage others to do the same -- hopefully we can compare lists and offer suggestions or workarounds for the little things that drive us to space madness.

(1) Number one on my list is the inability to save different preferences for different types of jobs in ColorControl -- It would be immensely helpful to save presets for specific jobs, just like you can with a desktop printer (envelopes, labels, etc.) -- I would love to be able to select "HMIS Labels" from a drop down and feel confident that Flexcut was on, three color process was selected, and weed box had been checked. This is especially true for Visionprint jobs, where many different setting have to be adjusted in order for the print to be successful.

(2) It would be great to be able to print a multi-page PDF from ColorControl...

(3) Summa includes a Thermal Transfer Ribbon Color Guide with the DC4 printers, which presents actual samples of the spot/process colors available. It also provides a comprehensive DuoSpot Printing guide, with actual print samples of mixed spot colors (i.e. White + Aqua Green = Pastel Blue) -- to achieve this effect it is necessary to have two overlaid objects, each a different spot color, with the top color set to overprint. I would like to see Summa define these colors, just like they defined Contour and Flexcut, so that you could have one object in the design set to the DuoSpot (i.e. DS_PastelBlue) that would prompt the machine to automatically overlay the spots as needed.

(4) They should add a small thermal ribbon (1/4") to the print head that only prints registration marks so you don't have to waste miles of cyan (I have since adjusted the preferences to save ribbon so it only prints on the left and right). I doubt this could be addressed through a firmware update... ;)

(5) Big red button to stop the printing in the case of malfunction (media jam, wrong settings, etc.) -- pause always seems to take a while to engage, and I don't know if hitting the power button is a great idea...

(6) I almost forgot this one, and it is a biggie -- apparently if you create a line (as opposed to a box) and set the color to Flexcut (or Contour, I assume) the printer has a hard time reconciling this with its worldview -- it will attempt to 'close' the line by going over it again, cutting the material twice and causing great havoc (see big red button, above) -- this turns the media into ribbons... I often print multiple labels and would like to be able to make a grid of Flexcut lines that perf so the labels can be positioned right next to each other.

Ok, that's enough for the time being -- got any good ones to share? Got any suggestions for me (and others)? Bring it!

-g-

gnemmas

I dumpedthe DC3 plus within 8 month of purchase, took a $8,000 lose, and made many many times over by switching to inkjet for the last 5 years.

PGSigns

Well can't answer all your questions but here is some help on part of it. If you are repinting jobs enough that you want a preset you need to start naming your jobs in the advanced tab of color control and keep a log. Then just go into the printer menu and hit reprint of the job you need and the printer will repeat it and you don't even need to have your computer on. I do this all the time and it works great. I also use this for big runs of decals to run them in smaller groups and just repeat the job as many times as needed. This reduces waiste if there is a problem. I assign a color to the I regisration marks each time that I send a job that is part of the job being printed and keep the ribon save on high. I do not like the flex cut feature and don't use it much so I can not be of much help. I do a lot of smaller decals in the 200 to 500 range and just use my rotory cutter to seperate them. It keeps the blade and cut strip on the machine in better condition and I think the performance of the contour cut is the most important thing and this helps ensure that.
Jimmy

garisimo

Geiger Racing, thanks for the reply -- I think I will look into getting a rotary cutter -- you have a table top unit with a sliding head, not a hand held device that you have to use with a straight edge, correct? Can you give me the manufacturer and model number? As far as the reprinting jobs issue, I do use the reprint job on the DC4 often -- it is great! Unfortunately, I print many different jobs on a regular basis, not a couple different jobs all the time. Do you know if using FlexiStarter would be better in this regard? I may end up ordering it off ebay to try it out...

gnemmas -- my post was about the DC4 series, and while I commend you on making money with your inkjet printer, your response is tangential to this conversation. I am making money with the DC4, and in three months have nearly paid for my machine. If you have any constructive information, (i.e. quirks and workarounds for the DC4 series) please post them here.

Thanks!

-g-

signage

You may want to look into Signlab to run your summa from rather than Flexi! Signlab does great with the gerber Edge so I owuld assume it would work just as well with the summa!

PGSigns

I print right from Corel draw using color choice as the rip and have no problems. What you design with does not matter but the rip will stay the same. I have got good user configurations worked out for all the materials I print on and that makes things a bit easier and I only use about 5 or 6 various settings when picking the setting in color choice so they only take a couple of seconds to set. I do make notes for each job as to what I used so if someone comes back a year later I know what I did. Look at the fletcher cutters, they work real well. The rotory I have is one some one gave me and does not have a name on it. I am looking at getting one of these next. http://www.fletcherviscom.com/viscom/gemini/Gemini_Main.shtml
Jimmy

bcpop

I assign a color to the I regisration marks each time that I send a job that is part of the job being printed and keep the ribon save on high.

Hey Geiger, thanks for your input. Would you further explain this suggestion to me, I have a DC4sx and would like to better understand this suggestion.

PGSigns

Read up on the optitrack color. If you are printing all black decals you don't want to set the opitrack color to cyan. If you are printing 3 color it does not make much difference it is going to use cyan anyway. You can set it to auto and the machine should pick the color based on the one with the most usage but I prefer to choose it so I know I am using the ribbons in the most efficient way.
Jimmy

meltsner

If I'm printing on clear and NOT doing process, I'll set Optitrac as white, as it's only one of two (I think) foils that doesn't print all the way across, just the ends. Otherwise it's -- 1. cyan for process jobs, or 2. most used foil for spot jobs (besides any shade of red). User configs are set right now to cyan on clear vinyl and black on white vinyl, but hey, a few quick keystrokes and it can be changed.

Garisimo-- Ditto on your #5!!! I don't get it -- pausing does take forever, and to cancel a job, one has to hit the Reset button and restart the printer??!:noway: Also for your Duotones suggestion, each foil has the "tint" (?) option, i.e. each one has 10 shades, possibly that's why there's no duotone colors. Just an idea........ And.......you said you can print reg. marks on the ends only. Can you explain how, I'd be very interested in knowing!

PGSigns

When I print on clear or another color like blue I set the optitrack color to cyan or black and set the optitrack from auto to white background and this improves the recognition of the marks by the machine. If you calibrate the media using the two methods you will see the improvement if you write down the numbers as it is doing the cal.
Jimmy

Jim Doggett

Hi Garisimo,

I'm formerly VP of Summa and pretty familiar with the Summa printer-cutter. So first off, kudos sir; that's the most constructive and intelligent analysis of the Summa DC product I've yet read.

Have you sent a copy to Summa? I'd encourage you to let Drew (sales VP) or John (owner) know your suggestions. Email to drewg@summa.us or johnl@summa.us or both.

As for point 1, great suggesion. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to switch the default from 50 lpi / Ellipse to 35 lpi / Double Dot. I think 35DD is just a better all-around setting for most types of images.

Point 2: great suggestion. Ganging jobs would be so easy. For now, I think you shoud just make a real long page and put everything in series on page 1.

Point 3: spot colors were never, in my opinion, a Summa DC strength. Banding lines are just too apparent at each print-pass. You really need to stick to small stickers that stay within the print-pass ... and setting up your file so the images fit within the print head width on each pass is real hit and miss. I'd advise caution before investing too heavily in spot colors.

Point 4: indeed; it would be nirvana if a separate device printed the reg-marks. I doubt that will every happen. So you really need to build the extra ribbon usage into your costing model. If by chance you're printing an image with no cyan in the build, you can change the OptiTrack mark to one of the colors used in the print. It's a bit of a hassle, but will save ribbon.

Point 5: pull the power cord. It's the virtual "big red button." :^)

Point 6: you went over my head on that one. I never used the DC to handle more than contour-cutting, so I'm not familiar with pitfalls / tips on the fancy cutting; I always handled advanced cutting on one of the Pro cutters (SummaSign Pro / S Class).

Best,

Jim

Jim Doggett

I dumpedthe DC3 plus within 8 month of purchase, took a $8,000 lose, and made many many times over by switching to inkjet for the last 5 years.

I have to agree that the comment is tangential, but I think a fair one given your experience. Sorry to hear you took a beating, especially since you bought your DC3 when I was still with Summa. My apologies .... and I very much agree that inkjet, emphasis on Mutoh VJ EcoSol with Wave Printing, is light years beyond thermal transfer for image-quality (a whole other level), speed and low-cost-of-operation (a fraction of the cost of TT ribbons).

So for all-around printing, I'd suggest that any prospective printer buyers heed Gnemma's experience.

But there are many specialty applications where thermal transfer printing is still a viable option, IMO ... if it's the only option. I think that's how I'd approach it: think inkjet; then if inkjet cannot do what you need to do, consider thermal transfer and then charge a premium for the output.

My $0.02,

Jim

garisimo

meltsner -- to get the registration marks to only print at the edges, you must invoke the super secret user preferences by holding SHIFT down while loading Summa Printer Control -- then, you will see the hidden submenu System Configuration. Scroll down until you see OptiTrack Save -- set this to on, and hit the apply button. This is a user configuration setting, so you will need to set it for each user configuration.

Cheers!

-g-

garisimo

Jim, thanks for the post -- I will try changing the default line screen to 35dd. We use spot colors for many jobs, and have had pretty good success -- maybe the dc4 is better at that function.

Cheers!

meltsner

meltsner -- to get the registration marks to only print at the edges, you must invoke the super secret user preferences by holding SHIFT down while loading Summa Printer Control -- then, you will see the hidden submenu System Configuration. Scroll down until you see OptiTrack Save -- set this to on, and hit the apply button. This is a user configuration setting, so you will need to set it for each user configuration.

Cheers!

-g-

:omg::omg:
Thanks for the tip -- Will definitely give that a try!!!

Triph512

hey guys i do most of my printing on convex vinyl with a pro sheild laminate it ends up being right around 22 mil. will the summa dc 4 cut that thick? also can you take the vinyl out and reload it back in after laminating for cutting? i cant find much info on this machine as far as detailed specs go

garisimo

Ok, here's another item on my wish-list; the majority of our print jobs are spot color (black and red, blue and black, etc.). I have mastered the art of assigning fake spot color names in order to print process colors as though they are spot colors (BlackSpot for Black, MagentaSpot for Magenta, etc.). It would be useful to have ColorControl check the color names against a customizable database so I don't have to click on the Color tab, click on Unknown, and then type in the cassette chip number. So it would auto assign #4 to the BlackSpot color. This would also be useful if you stopped using one shade of a color (Tomato Red) and started using another (Red) in its place.

-g-

artofacks1

Bump! Anyone have an answer to this question?

hey guys i do most of my printing on convex vinyl with a pro sheild laminate it ends up being right around 22 mil. will the summa dc 4 cut that thick? also can you take the vinyl out and reload it back in after laminating for cutting? i cant find much info on this machine as far as detailed specs go