• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wonder how legal this is?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
BJ...

Down here they are selling them for $30 on CL.

I reported them to the BSA.

Why? Other than the perverse satisfaction some seem to garner by denouncing others to the authorities, why would you possibly care what someone sells for whatever price? Understand that I feel as strongly about self-appointed vigilantes as you seem to feel about the nefarious dealings of others.

showcase 66

Why? Other than the perverse satisfaction some seem to garner by denouncing others to the authorities, why would you possibly care what someone sells for whatever price? Understand that I feel as strongly about self-appointed vigilantes as you seem to feel about the nefarious dealings of others.

So you are okay with someone stealing your work and selling it for a profit for them and you get nothing in return. Turning someone in for doing something illegal is what you are suppose to do. Ethically it is the right thing to do.

Flame

So you are okay with someone stealing your work and selling it for a profit for them and you get nothing in return. Turning someone in for doing something illegal is what you are suppose to do. Ethically it is the right thing to do.

Bob doesn't believe in ethics or morals. He's above all of that nonsense.

:corndog:

WildWestDesigns

Awesome quote Wild West.

It's one of my favorites that's attributed to Edmund Burke, although there are some that dispute the wording of it. They believe the idea is his, but not how it's put. I like it just the same and it still holds true (I think anyway).

jiarby

Bob, I guess this tells me all I need to know about your character...

If I saw a kid shoplifting CD's at Wal Mart I would tell their management. Same thing.

If I saw someone getting attacked in an alley I would go intervene.

In my past life as an IT Systems Administrator for a Very Large Company I had lots of software licensing compliance training and audits. It is an issue that I am very familiar with and it offends me to see people blatantly stealing and reselling pirated software! The guy in Phoenix even has a website and used Google Checkout! Pretty Ballsy if you ask me.

PLUS...

The BSA offers a monetary reward!

Understand that I feel as strongly about self-appointed vigilantes

I am hardly a vigilante...you should look up the definition of the word and you will understand better why I am not. Taking steps to report a crime you are aware of is hardly the same thing as being a "self appointed vigilante".

Attachments

• bsa.jpg
    bsa.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 82

btropical.com

i think some glass house , let those without sin cast the first stone at esther's face , snitches get stitches , don't let your mouth open up you don't wanna see the automatic open up lesson to be learned here

tomence

The one and only thing that i hate the most is a "SNITCH. I like the saying of the other poster "Snitches get Stiches".

Techman

Next time you turn someone in to the BSA, make sure you have not one single instance of unauthorized music on your machine. That includes music you ripped from your CD collection.
And make sure you do not have one single instance of some avatar you downed from the internet.

As far as informing the BSA about a website selling software cheap.. They already know about it. Your chances of getting that hidden reward are as good as you getting that inheritance from the guy in Nigeria.

jiarby

The BSA does not investigate music (or avatar) piracy. That's the RIAA.

Someone does not have to be "without sin" to report the blatant reselling of obviously pirated software. I am not the bad guy... the guy reselling pirated software is. No doubt some of you guys are the ones buying it (or downloading it yourself!).

It is hilarious to me that you guys tear apart someone that posts (or requests) a copyrighted clipart or font image but are here sticking up for the Adobe CS5 for $30 Pirate.

I emailed a link to a craigslist ad to the BSA folks and said "check this out". End of story.

The only stitches I am going to get is from LOL'ing at you morons standing up for the crook! You got me laughing so bad I may have a hernia and need them.

WildWestDesigns

make sure you have not one single instance of unauthorized music on your machine. That includes music you ripped from your CD collection.

That isn't illegal to rip music from your own CD collection. You are able to make copies of your own collection, it is only allowing others access to copies of your collection that it becomes illegal, doesn't matter if you got paid or not for it.

Same thing goes with software. You are able to make a copy of said software as a backup as long as it is a backup for your own use not to sell or give to someone else.

There is a significant difference of making copies as backups for your own use, compared to making copies for someone else's use.

It's that intent to distribute is where they get you.

If making copies of anything that you don't own the exclusive rights too is illegal, then think of everyone that is breaking the law when they backup their hard drives to make sure that they have backups. Fonts, software, vector images that they received from the owners in order to do print jobs etc.

It's the intent to distribute that is the illegal action. Doesn't matter if it's for profit, but that you distributed it to other people.

And make sure you do not have one single instance of some avatar you downed from the internet.

Depends on the avatar. Some avatars are given freely from people that own the rights for you to use as an avatar. It might be better to say "a single questionable instance" or something like that. There are instances to where people that own rights to pictures that give other people free access to use those pictures as wallpaper, avatars etc.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

maybe someone will email the poster with your info

I think that there is a TV show out there now about what would people do in certain instances. If they saw shoplifting would they report it etc.

It would be interested to see what you would do since I'm getting the feeling that you are anti-snitching in any form.

Not exactly a position I would take for all circumstances.

That "he without sin" mentality is just a way to rationalize it all. Depending on how you define sin (legal, morals, or a combination) determines if anyone is truly without sin and if there is no one without sin, then what's the point of having laws in the first place as the people that enforce them are with sin? Actually, I don't think it matters if it's in then legal sense or the moral sense as I'm sure that everyone has committed some illegal act at some point in their life and illegal acts I would argue violate morals, but it doesn't always follow the other way around. Doesn't matter if they got caught, or if they thought it was a stupid law to begin with or if it's a "minor crime" (something like speeding (or driving too slow, some places have min. speed limits as well) for instance) or not.

tcorn1965

We were audited by BSA. It sucked (fun way to start a new job)...Happened 3 weeks after the system administrator was fired. Out of 60 PC's we did lack a few licensees.
Basically, we had to purchase the licenses and show them proof and that settled it.

Terry