• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

work table top

Corey Roskamp

We currently have a 4x8 work table with a piece of glass overtop of a 4x8 sheet of plywood as the work surface. We have a light box made that will sit on top of this framed out so that it is 4x8 also. I need to replace the glass as it is cracked in several places. I was going to replace with glass but that is quite expensive. What are other clear options that would let light through.

We are a small operation, the shop is a two stall garage. This is our only work table so it is used for masking, edge cutting, weeding, layout etc. I need something that will endure some knife cuts and remain smooth. it also needs to be rigid.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

JQUEST

JV33-160 + FC8600-160
Did you make any progress? I'm curious to know what you went with. I'm looking to build a 4×8 light table or just a frame to go on my existing table. I'd like to avoid glass if possible, but it should be rigid to withstand pressure from working on it etc. I'd like to keep any cross members to a minimum for even distribution of light.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Lexan?

Anything I can think of that would let light through isn't all that rigid. Not as flat as glass anyway. It would need to be supported in some way which will inevitably give you some shadows.

We have gotten lucky with glass before. Contact a few glass companies and ask them to keep a lookout for an offcut. Tell them you'll pay cash, like $100 dolla bills. Maybe they'll have something that's not exactly 4x8 but would work for you, then you can adjust your table to that size.

netsol

IF IT WERE ME, i would be looking at one of these construction salvage yards, (the kind of place that recycles wooden planks, doors, vintage windows.
i am sure most of them have a "wish list" (either a physical list or some sort of industry wide online resource) matching up to demolition projects. i wouldn't think it would be impossible to find a site to remove a used piece of glass
you would still have to deal with the task of transporting it, and possibly removal

looking at commercial buildings, 4' x 8' is not a terribly large piece of glass

Stacey K

I like making signs
I think this goes to show that FireSprint.com has a great point about "miscuts" - because this is a HUGE one. And also, how tough tempered glass is if you protect the edges. This is a customer of mine who was in yesterday and we were talking about tempered glass and he told me he made this video. Kinda cool! It didn't seem to embed correctly so you have to watch it on FB sorry.