• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap shrinking or pulling back from seams

JoeBoomer

This wrap is about 3 months old. Installed by 3M Certified installers that I have been using for years without a problem. This seems like some type of material defect or something, as it looks like it is shrinking or pulling away from the seems. I've never seen this happen with control tac before so I'm a bit stumped.

HP L26500 Printer
3M 180c-10v3 Control Tac
3M 8518 Laminate

Thanks team!

Attachments

• IMG_4457.jpg
    IMG_4457.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_4458.jpg
    IMG_4458.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_4459.jpg
    IMG_4459.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_4460.jpg
    IMG_4460.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_4461.jpg
    IMG_4461.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 454

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
That definitely looks like a calendared vinyl was used. I am willing to bet the wrong roll was grabbed when printing. I have done that before, grabbing my IJ-35 by mistake (the liner says Scotchcal and not Controltac, but a quick glance could easily get them confused)...although I didn't print an entire vehicle on it.

THAT much shrinkage reminds of the Avery cast vinyl debacle back about 10 years ago.

DesireeM

That definitely looks like a calendared vinyl was used. I am willing to bet the wrong roll was grabbed when printing. I have done that before, grabbing my IJ-35 by mistake (the liner says Scotchcal and not Controltac, but a quick glance could easily get them confused)...although I didn't print an entire vehicle on it.

THAT much shrinkage reminds of the Avery cast vinyl debacle back about 10 years ago.

You'd think the 3M installers would recognize immediately if it was calendered.

JoeBoomer

cast vinyl shrinking.....

You'd think the 3M installers would recognize immediately if it was calendered.

I definitely used 3M 180v3 and 8518 laminate. That is pretty much the only thing I print on (signs, decals, everything) due to client specs.

• I have the proof in front of me (printed on same roll) and it looks fine, no visible shrinkage.
• I also have a job that was printed on the same roll and that looks fine

• Even the cut logos on the vehicle have shrunk by 1/4" or more.

Even calendared vinyl wouldn't shrink that much in 2 months. The back has shrunk by almost 3/4"!

Any other ideas?

Attachments

• tumblr_m9ewakePdQ1qffx6n.jpg
    tumblr_m9ewakePdQ1qffx6n.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 318

DesireeM

Was the ink saturation particularly heavy? If the vinyl was very soft it may have been over-stretched with very little effort...
If it was also a hot humid environment...

I know it's not likely - you would think the installers are in a temperature controlled environment. Just brainstorming...maybe spark an idea in someone else.

JoeBoomer

Printed on latex printer, so no outgassing needed.

Ink saturation was moderate to high, but

One of the most telling things though, are the few spot graphics on there and how those shrunk too.

==================================
UPDATE:

Check out this pictures and let me know what you think. It looked like it only happened on a few areas on the back.........

Attachments

• IMG_4468.jpg
    IMG_4468.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_4472.jpg
    IMG_4472.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_4473.jpg
    IMG_4473.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_4478.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 295
This is why I've chosen to use Oracal products more than 3M or any other brand. With over 200 years of German engineering and a company that (as far as I know) exclusively produces adhesive vinyl products it's hard to go wrong.

deegrafix

I just went through this with a 25 yd roll. I noticed right away the glue wasn't right and was sticky on the edges and everything I did with it shrank almost a quarter of an inch in less than 48 hours. I took pictures of everything and will be contacting my 3M rep. I may still have to do the whole thing over even though I kept the truck here for 4 extra days to clean the glue from around the edges of a ton of hand cut graphics and reprinted the channels. I've never seen anything like this, even ultra cheap vinyl doesn't shrink this fast! My supplier said they haven't heard of any bad IJ180-CV3. This picture shows the glue line 24 hours after installation.

I thought we paid the premium to avoid this kind of thing?

dee

Attachments

• IMG_20140703_104706689.jpg
    IMG_20140703_104706689.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20140619_160412300.jpg
    IMG_20140619_160412300.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_20140619_160143053_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140619_160143053_HDR.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 270

CES020

This is why I've chosen to use Oracal products more than 3M or any other brand. With over 200 years of German engineering and a company that (as far as I know) exclusively produces adhesive vinyl products it's hard to go wrong.

That would be contrary to the posts on this very forum where people have had issues with Oracal just like issues with 3M. They all have their issues from time to time.

I've seen some horrid stuff embedded into my Oracal vinyls. Bugs, specs of colors like someone dumped glitter in it when it was being made, etc.

I've also seen issues with 3M. I have yet to find a manufacturer that made great stuff all the time, every time.

Back to the main issue, any chance this is coming from some cleaning product they are using on their car? It looks like something is getting under the edges and allowing it to release, which to me, would indicate some chemical is attacking the adhesive.

Tony McD

This may not apply in this case, but I have turned a couple of customers away after they
tell me they had their new vehicle cleared with a teflon clear coat.
My next door neighbor just bought a new truck and had this or a similar clear coat applied.

I wonder if something is going on at 3m. I haven't had issues with IJ80 but 1.5 months ago I had printed a roll of IJ35 for a project. I let it cure, laminated and trimmed. I left the prints on the table and almost all of them had shrunk overnight by 1/4 inch. I expect some shrinkage with a calandered film but 1/4 in 12 hours was crazy. The really odd thing was the prints with less ink saturation seemed to have shrunk the most.

klingsdesigns

This may not apply in this case, but I have turned a couple of customers away after they
tell me they had their new vehicle cleared with a teflon clear coat.
My next door neighbor just bought a new truck and had this or a similar clear coat applied.

I wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with it.
We had to partial wrap a new vehicle and it was supposed to get simonized and i told the guy i wouldn't before i wrap it.
He called and told the dealership to not do it.

Intense01

I had some issues with a roll of IJ180CV3 and received an email a month or so ago from my Grimco rep. Hopefully you have the box somewhere laying around there. Lately I have been having a lot of problems with 3M and their matte 1080 wrap stuff with metallic in it. I have had 4 wraps fail within 6 months and all are different colors. Going to start looking elsewhere for material that doesn't fail so quickly.

Grimco received a recall on the 3MIJ180-CV3 with Lot# F92605 and Drum#’s 001 through 021

Let me know if you need me to send you the recall notice via email.

formanek

I have been having the same issue with MPI 2105 on signs. Rep is looking into it. Only takes about 2 days to pull back and show the glue.

Attachments

• issue.jpg
    issue.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 313

Intense01

Here is the actual bulletin...

May 23, 2014
Hello,
3M has informed us of a recall on 3M180IJCV3: 54”x25 yds, 54”x50 yds and 54”x100 yds with Lot# F92605 and Drum# of 001 through 021. If you have any rolls with the specific lot# and drum#, please reply to this email.

• If you don’t have the box, please check the core. The label should show the same information.
  • If you have any of these rolls, please refrain from using them. Reply to this email and we will replace the roll(s) immediately and make arrangements for the pick-up of the recalled rolls.
  • Rolls that have been installed without any issues will not need to be replaced as there would have been failure during install.
The recalled roll’s adhesive can potentially separate from the film during installation, use, and/or removal. This can cause the graphics to lift and/or leave excessive adhesive residue on the substrate. The defect was caused by an improper setting during the production process. Again, all material without this lot# and drum#’s met 3M specifications.
We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. 3M and Grimco are committed to the highest quality and will properly assist our customers in any event where we have not met our standards.

Sincerely,
The Resolutions Department