• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap vinyl on low impact plastics

Get Lucky

Has any really tried to put car wrap vinyl on low impact plastics like say Dirtbikes, fourwheelers or snowmobile.

I have seen in the last year that some companies are starting to put the chrome and gold on snowmobile and I just can't believe that it will hold up to the abuse that riders put them through. Maybe I'm wrong but I would like to hear what other have to say.

reQ

Gold/Chrome/Whatever vinyls installed on top of Convex / Substance / Arlon DPF8000. No problems.

TXFB.INS

holding up to the abuse, highly doubtful unless you put the thick lam on.

having wrap film stick to low energy, again doubtful you will need to put a base vinyl down and then add the wrap film

Get Lucky

Gold/Chrome/Whatever vinyls installed on top of Convex / Substance / Arlon DPF8000. No problems.

holding up to the abuse, highly doubtful unless you put the thick lam on.

having wrap film stick to low energy, again doubtful you will need to put a base vinyl down and then add the wrap film

Both good idea. Hadn't thought about putting convex down first.

reQ

Both good idea. Hadn't thought about putting convex down first.

Well you have to laminate convex with your main material, then you have to laminate it overtop with gloss/matte overlam. Did it few times, no problems whatsoever.

Get Lucky

I have looked at their product and I know a couple that are using it. I have just had better luck with convex. Seems the thicker stuff wants to always lift. It would be nice to get something with air release I must add.

reQ

Try the Substance Ultracurve X2 as an alternative to the Avery, it works well but is more expensive.

Tried Orafol HT/ 3M HT / Avery HT. None of them are even close to substance. I use substance vinyl only for snowmobiles and listed brands do not perform well on low energy plastics compared to substance.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I have used the convex chrome material for football helmet decals and it works good other than once you laminate it you lose some of the pure chrome look.

a77

Hey reQ, you've tried the newish Avery 2126 or 1006 and it's still not close to substance?

Tried Orafol HT/ 3M HT / Avery HT. None of them are even close to substance. I use substance vinyl only for snowmobiles and listed brands do not perform well on low energy plastics compared to substance.

reQ

Hey reQ, you've tried the newish Avery 2126 or 1006 and it's still not close to substance?
Lets put it this way - Yes, it will stick to anything because its HT vinyl. But in case of sleds, its not as good. Substance does double layers acrylic adhesive, which makes it perfect for my liking.
P.S. yes, i tried all cheaper alternatives before moved to substance. I am all about to save money, but not in this situation.

a77

Lets put it this way - Yes, it will stick to anything because its HT vinyl. But in case of sleds, its not as good. Substance does double layers acrylic adhesive, which makes it perfect for my liking.
P.S. yes, i tried all cheaper alternatives before moved to substance. I am all about to save money, but not in this situation.

Mind if I ask where you get this in Canada?

reQ

Mind if I ask where you get this in Canada?
They do not have any Canadian distributors and do not plan to have any for now. I buy direct from states. By the tame it gets to my door its almost 2k for a bundle. Its expensive but for me - its worth it.

P.S. Arlon DPF8000 might be another option - $1400-1500 per bundle