• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Wraping A Fiberglass U-haul Truck

okeesignguy

The truck is really very easy...flat, smooth fiberglass...
HOWEVER.....it has those giant, plastic "plug" looking things I assume are some kind of rivet or bolt head covers...
See picture...
When the truck went up for sale "they" (?) quickly put plain, white vinyl on it instead of painting it...

The vinyl appears to go under them...NOT cut out around them however for the life of me I can not remove them...
I have tried prying and unscrewing them with no success...

The vinyl peals right off easily so we will probably strip it before wrapping it...

Question is...what is the deal with those things and how are they removed...?

Thank you for any help given !

20170426_082310.jpg 20170426_082331.jpg

equippaint

They look like Huck fasteners (Hucktainers). If they are, they use a special tool like a rivet gun to install which squeezes them together and Im pretty sure they are permanent.

okeesignguy

They look like Huck fasteners (Hucktainers). If they are, they use a special tool like a rivet gun to install which squeezes them together and Im pretty sure they are permanent.
Thanx for the reply :) If you look at the picture closely you can see that somehow they have the vinyl going under them...strange...

equippaint

Start peeling and see. I don't know how the vinyl would be under it if thats what they are, maybe they did a good job cutting around them. Could be a sex bolt with a torx head on the inside of the box but really doubt it. Hucktainers are pretty standard issue for FRP truck boxes.

KSTrooper

Wrapper, designer, illustrator
Looks like a really clean cut around it but you never know. I did a box truck a couple years ago that had a few of these, and they were the huge ones, like 1 1/4" diameter. I ended up using a lot of 3M Primer 94 and heat gunning to get them to stick and it worked. I drive past the truck often, it's held up well. You can see the fasteners just below the Sams Club and Walmart logos here.

qmr55

We do uhaul trucks all the time. The company they use to wrap over the old decals has the tools, they drill out the old ones, and then wrap it white and install new ones.

Remember, if you take off the white you will most likely find the old graphics underneath and a lot of times they are semi-failing. We wrap right over their white with the company we do them for and have never had a problem. Have done between 10-15 of them over the last 3 or 4 years.

Joel golden

We've done some that are just the huck covers on carriage bolts that have the nuts inside the box. Look carefully you may be able to see where the nuts are, maybe under the wood tie down strips. Good luck, those are a pain and they tend to have a very low melting point!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We just remove them from the inside. Be sure to have someone outside holding them and when the cap is pushed off, so they don't go flying. Be sure the bolt on the inside doesn't fall down, behind the bottom wall plate. We clean them with some alcohol then wrap them and put them back on, same as taking off, but now in reverse.