• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping with calendered

Tony Rome

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with wrapping w/ calendered vinyl (I am doing a partial each side of a Econoline Van, no bumpers just 3 vertical sheets per side from driver back, no wrap around).
I was going to use Arlon DPF4560GTX it is considered a wrap vinyl in Fellers but some have said never used calendered to wrap, is this true?
Also, is laminating a calendered with a cast a waste (that is what Fellers told me) and now I ended up ordering the Arlon 3420G which is 3Mil, and I am not sure this is smart.
SO...before I start, any helpful opinions, advice, answers?
THANKS YOU!

Circleville Signs

If you aren't going around any complex curves, and you make sure to REALLY clean the surface and all the nooks, AND you make sure to use plenty of primer, AND you make the client aware that this is not the recommended solution, THEN you are fine.

I've done plenty of this type of stuff with high end intermediate materials - especially box trucks.

Just cover all your bases.

Tony Rome

OK well thank you.
So far I called Arlon, and they said the same, do not use calendered for what I am doing.
My whole issue started when I tried getting a less expensive solution then 3M, I know the stuff is great but, too costly and I believe the playing field is a little more leveled now.

OK, so I am re-ordering my material I will get cast vinyl and laminate.
I was looking at either
Arlon 6000XRP with 3420 Lam
Any other suggestions?
THANKS

FatCat

Contact BigFish - a Merchant Member on here. I believe just a month or two ago he was promoting a new line of wrapping cast and he offered a trial of 1/2 roll of the print media and matching laminate for like $399? *Not sure if that price is exact, but should be pretty close.

cajun312

OK well thank you.
So far I called Arlon, and they said the same, do not use calendered for what I am doing.
My whole issue started when I tried getting a less expensive solution then 3M, I know the stuff is great but, too costly and I believe the playing field is a little more leveled now.

OK, so I am re-ordering my material I will get cast vinyl and laminate.
I was looking at either
Any other suggestions?
THANKS

I use the 6000XRP and 3420 combo and I've had no issues with it.

Tony Rome

Thanks guys.

I think I have it narrowed down to
or Oracal 3751 with 290 Lam

What are your opinions?
$200 price difference for the kits.

mudmedia

I hate arlon but I have heard a lot of people say it has the same air release adhesive as the oracal but it seemed harder to install for me. Might not be the same for others though.

Circleville Signs

How long do they want it to last? What is the climate like where the vehicle will be in service?

There are lots of questions here that need to be answered before anyone can make a reasonable suggestion.

Circleville Signs

On the note of Arlon, the adhesive is SUPER aggressive. That is my biggest complaint with it. It will stay where you put it - but that makes it not so much fun to install.

Tony Rome

On the note of Arlon, the adhesive is SUPER aggressive. That is my biggest complaint with it. It will stay where you put it - but that makes it not so much fun to install.
Yes, but I think the 3751 was a newer type they came out with, for that reason.
At least that is what I heard.

300mphGraphics

Long term on a vehicle, cast on cast always. Short term on a flat surface on a vehicle, I'll use the calendared Arlon with cast lam. I've tried the Feller's and other suppliers suggestion of calendared with a cast lam to save $ and have watched them all curl at the edges or pop out of the recessed areas.

HulkSmash

Just use the right stuff, and stop ruining the wrap market.
No you do not use calendered on vehicles. Period.

I'm not trying to be a know it all, but using calendered is the wrong way to do it, it will fail. no matter how flat it is.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
We have a high performance vinyl /w air release and matching laminate combo for $500. both 54" x 164' rolls. We have some clients who switched from using their Arlon 6000XRP and said the quality was just as good; if not better. Feel free to give us a try and you are welcome to request for any free samples to try. PM us if you are interested.

http://www.display-wholesale.com/servlet/the-190/Signworld-High-Performance-Air/Detail

Warm regards,
Signworld Team

ProWraps

you will waste more time in labor installing that than you would doing the job the right way and using a product like 180c. do it right and it WILL save you money. both upfront, and on the back end.