• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping with reflective

letterman7

I've seen the video from Oralite and Justin Pate on their reflective wrapping, but it doesn't quite answer the question to really complex curves (and hide any stretch marks with a wild print). My issue is mainly the newer Ford F150's; I do quite a bit of emergency vehicle work, and I'd say about 80% want a reflective rocker stripe that bridges that lower cab corner - right were it breaks into 3 different planes. With regular vinyl I sometimes get lucky and can properly "wrap" the corner without too much distortion, but I've yet to be able to do it in reflective. Just today I had one and finally gave up and did it in two pieces - one top, one bottom and even then I had issues with the angles. Anyone have any ideas of a way to attack these corners without stressing the vinyl to the point of bruising? It's almost always a "regular" solid color, and my preference is the 3M 680C.

-- Rick

jfiscus

Rap Master
Print the stripe over size, and lay down some knifeless tape first along the correct size. Then you should be able to work the stripe in without stretching it and still have good straight lines.

letterman7

Doesn't work, at least for me. I always have an oversize piece, then trim it down. Still can't get it to do that. It wants to bunch right at the "point" of the body break. Arrows show which direction that panel heads if you're unfamiliar with the cab.

F150 cab corner.jpg

rjssigns

Trying to do that with reflective would be a PITA.

Just had a thought. Maybe reach out to CK Wraps. I've watched tons of his videos and he's on point.
If he can tint wrap a new F150 headlight without issue I think he would have some tips about that can corner.(you REALLY need to see that vid:oops:)
Might cost ya a couple shekels to bend his ear but it would be worth it.

letterman7

Yep. It is definitely a PITA. I've not seen any of CK's vids, I'll look into that and check out a website. Maybe he'll have a Q&A section :)

* That said, he does have a forum, though a fairly hefty fee to join. If it helps, I've done the month by month and asked there. I'll post the findings, if any :)

Last edited:

letterman7

Update: well, according to DK, I could almost hear him laughing on the forum. In short, he said that even with regular wrap film, those corners are next to impossible without multiple pieces. So I don't feel so bad the way I had to do it. He did mention to maybe try the Oracal brand vinyl rather than the 3M as it has a heavier bead load and doesn't tend to stretch mark as badly. I've never tried it, but I'm going to order some in just to play with it.